ALL pictures missing in iphoto!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yOyOYoo, Mar 13, 2006.

1. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

Something happened. I don't know what happened. I moved some picture folder on accident.

Now my iPhoto application opens up, but none of the pictures show up. It lists that there are 7000+ pictures. And it shows an outline for all of the them, with the vertical pictures orientated vertically. But these outlines just have empty black in them and when I click on it, it even loads but there are no pictures.

something happened and I don't know how to get my pictures back?! I seem to have lost the iphoto library with the numbering scheme, like the folders titled 2006, 2005, etc etc.

I have a folder of pictures I set up before when I downloaded pictures, I would put them into this folder first, before uploading them into iphoto.

help! can I reset iphoto or something and can I get my albums back somehow?!?

2. yOyOYoo thread starter macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

btw i've tried rebuilding the library... nothing changes.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Which folder and where'd it go? There should be a folder named iPhoto Library in your Pictures folder. Is it there? :)

4. yOyOYoo thread starter macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

thanks for the fast reply. Ok I see that folder, but when I click into it, I do not see any other subfolders, where ALL of my other pictures should exist.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you have a back up? Do you know where those files might have gone? Do you remember the name of the folder you moved? :)

6. yOyOYoo thread starter macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

I did not make a backup, I just know that the folders are still somewhere on the computer because the hard drive size has not changed.

DANG this is frustrating. I have a backup of about a quarter of the most recent pictures, but the old ones... they're somewhere on the computer. how can I find them?

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Could you run a search for one of the photo names or even just the file extension (JPG or something), find one of the pictures and work out from there? I reckon all your pictures will be together so it should be a matter of navigating up a few folders and then dragging it all back into the iPhoto folder. :)

8. yOyOYoo thread starter macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

you're awesome! I found the library!

NOW WHAT?

9. yOyOYoo thread starter macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

i did it!

i deleted the old "empty" iphoto library and found the previous one, just the way you mentioned!

sweetness!

btw do you recommend iphoto 6?

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So it's all working properly now? Well done. :cool:

I upgraded to iPhoto 6.0 but I don't find the differences all that great. Full screen editing is great and I think it's probably quite a bit faster on my slower iBook G4 (no difference in speed on the iMac G5) but I wouldn't buy iLife 06 purely for iPhoto.

On the other hand, iLife 06 offers iWeb which I find is a pretty good website creation tool for the site-making n00b (myself). Of course, it's best used in conjunction with .Mac though. :)