all quiet on the Motorola front

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Mr. Anderson, Mar 27, 2002.

Will Apple unveil a G5 at MacWorld New York?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
  2. No

15 vote(s)
  1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Why is it that there is no new news from Motorola about the G5? I went on and did a little search, in December 2001 and January 2002 little tidbits leaked out to tease us, yet nothing has happened since, a couple of months.

If the Ti Powerbook gets a non Expo upgrade, say next month, I'm starting to think that Apple might just surprise us with a new machine, not a revamped G4, but a full fledged PC kicking G5.
  2. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    I don't know if motorola has ever been very open about new designs... they've had time-lines and such detailing the G4/G5 etc....

but they usually make announcements with Apple... I wouldn't expect that we'd hear about the G5 until Apple was about to use it.

3. germanknee macrumors member

Jan 24, 2002
    mwny jul 02 - faster g4 w/ faster bus and ddr
    mwsf jan 03 - either "a" or "b":
    a) even faster g4 w/ same bus and mem as above
    b) g5 w/ rapidIO and faster ddr
    mwny jul 03 - if "a" is true for mwsf jan 03, then "b" here

that's just my speculation. it's a little more reasonable than a g5 this summer, which would be nice, don't get me wrong, but is highly unlikely.
  4. dualburn001 macrumors regular

Feb 21, 2002
    yea I agree that they will have to release the g5 by the end of 2003. If they don't then Apple will become in big trouble, because guys remember that the g4 was meant to compete with the p3, and not the p4.
  5. germanknee macrumors member

Jan 24, 2002
    your right about the g4 in it's earlier stages competing with the p3, but a g4 running at higher internal and fsb clock rate + ddr mem will be in competition more in between the two. it would compete more closely with the first p4 released.
  6. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    alias/wavefront issue

What adds more to my hypothesis is that the current machines and even the redesigned G4s you're all talking aren't all the good at rendering 3D animation, well at least not compared to some of the PCs.

Now, if the A/W comes through and Apple buys them soon, if they have a new super kickass machine at MWNY showing how it totally makes the PCs look like tortoises, every 3D professional is going to get inline for the new machine, because faster rendering saves you money.

Lets see what happens tomorrow.
  7. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Before and After the G5

Here is what I have seen from Apple and their Powermacs lately. They seem to increase the top speed by around 200MHz. From previous G5 sources there are G5 chips that consist of 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6GHz. But I am not sure if Apple wants to leap into the G5 so quick like this.

I have also heard that other G4 chips are being made into production, including a 1.2, 1.4 and 1.5GHz G4. These are probably low-power chips, since Apple has already used the energy-wasting 7450 chip for Macs around 700-933MHz G4s.

Apple and Motorola may probably be working on low-power G4 chips for Macs. The question is: where do you put them?

Apple sometimes does regress on clock speed with hardware upgrades, along with chip generation upgrades, as they did with Yosemite, to the first G4 on the market (program called Mactracker, developed by Ian Page).

By putting these facts together I would assume that Apple will continue using the G4 before using a G5 with around the same chip speed. Apple will probably use a dual 1.2GHz G4 in their following Powermac at MWNY, centered in the quicksilver case. The iMac will get an upgrade with speeds of 900 and 1000MHz. The Powerbook will approach around 800 to 900MHz as well. The iBook will remain a high speed G3 for the last update at New York, as Apple will keep the 14 inch screen, and use a G3 processor of 700MHz.

At San Fransisco in Jan. 2003 we will most likely see the G5. Speeds will probably be at around 1.2GHz or 1.4GHz. The Powerbook may be upgraded a little while afterwards to a 1GHz G4. The iMac will sport a hefty G4 of 1.2GHz max.

And, finally, the iBook. The iBook then and there will be upgraded to a G4 at around 600 to 800MHz.

These are my own guesses for what may or may not happen at New York or San Fransisco. But it would be luck if we see a G5 in any market Mac at New York.

"Has this been inserted correctly?" - Ryan Styles from Whose Line Is It Anyway?
  8. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Well, now there is this new German link in the mix. So who knows what's going to happen. I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't use a show to roll out the new machine. But who knows.

And now that the iMac is available with a G4, it can carry the line. Things are starting to fall into place.
  9. germanknee macrumors member

Jan 24, 2002
    King Cobra:

clock speed is determined by the front side bus, so there are these probable options:

first an example: current g4 powermacs
    fsb 133mhz
    multiplier set to 6.5, 7.0, and 7.5 to obtain 866+2/3mhz, 933+1/3mhz, and 1ghz respectively

the new g4 powermacs will likely have a faster bus:
    fsb 166mhz: x7.0 = 1166+2/3mhz; x7.5 = 1250mhz; x8.0 = 1333+1/3 ghz
    fsb 200mhz = 1.1ghz, 1.2ghz, 1.3ghz, 1.4ghz
    fsb 266mhz = etc.

g5 Rapid IO:
    fsb 500mhz = 1.25ghz, 1.5ghz, 1.75ghz
    or i've also heard 400mhz from others = 1.2ghz, 1.4ghz, 1.6ghz

anyway, that's how it works, in case you did not know. i'm not trying to be a smart alec; i just thought you'd like to know because you predicted all the clock speeds of the upcoming hardware.

i also believe jobs will unveil the g4 w/ faster bus, its upgrade later, and then even later the g5 all at various mw expos.
  10. germanknee macrumors member

Jan 24, 2002
    oh, one more thing:
    as far as i know, the multipliers moto is using for the g4 only increment in .5's. i applied this the g5 even though it might be capable of .25 stepping.