All set to buy but 1.6 or 1.8 with HDD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by enochpeng, Feb 5, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

One of my friend who's a software engineer told me to get 1.8 even with the HDD option. He says it's worth the 300 bucks because it gives me a 20 percent boost of performance.

He also showed me this link
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_mobile.html
    so......

what now... 300 does make a difference in my pocket ...

2. macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I'm in the same boat. $300 for BTO, or stock. I like the idea of stock, simply because in case there's a problem, it's easier/faster to take care of (especially if I buy the stock over-the-counter. On the other hand, we'll have the MBA a long time, and the $300 won't really matter that much - it might even give it a longer useable life.

3. macrumors member

With all else being equal, you will not see a 20% performance increase going from 1.6 to 1.8.

4. macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I have a 2.2 MacBook Pro and I've been spending my time on my 1.6 MacBook Air. Seems fine to me. Programs seem to open fine. Surfing and word processing fine. Can't tell much of a difference doing these light weight kinds of things. Doubt 1.8 is worth it.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Ok.. Seems like i'll be better off saving that 300 bucks, also i don't think it will sell much more than the base model in the future.

6. macrumors newbie

Use the money for Applecare. Good idea with these and other Notebooks.

7. macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I had a 2.2 macbook and they feel about the same dont waste your money...

8. macrumors newbie

I bought an 1.8- will upgrade to HDD later!

I've been using my new MBA 1.8 with 80G drive for two days and love it. For my criteria its the ideal portable. I had a 15" G4 as my last portable and never used any ports except one USB. I plan to upgrade to a HDD when prices drop and storage amount is up. The 1.8 is insurance against obsolescence since I general trade up every 5-6 years when speed differences are truly noticeable.
    I also have a new Mac Pro desktop as my main professional machine (I'm an Architect).

9. macrumors 6502

duffyanneal

You'll be lucky to see much more than a couple percentage points.

10. macrumors 603

roland.g

I plan to get one at some point this year after they go refurb. So for me it will be the 1.6 with HDD and that will be fine. If it came as a 1.8 as some refurbs are sometimes surprises that would be great. But that would be the only way.