Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sel1965

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2006
KC, MO
Benjin said:
should we be expecting revision B at next year's macworld? because i think i'm def gonna wait to get one, but i'm gonna need a laptop for college this fall. (do i go windows?)

Don't let the crys of some keep you from getting a wonderful awesome machine like the macbook pro! You won't be sorry it's the best out there now and probably for the next 2 or 3 years to come.

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
i agree, awesome machne, my post was not meant to discourage anyone, in fact, i reccommend it, all i ask is that they fix the noise issue. as it is really the only "issue" i am having
andreas
sel1965 said:
Don't let the crys of some keep you from getting a wonderful awesome machine like the macbook pro! You won't be sorry it's the best out there now and probably for the next 2 or 3 years to come.

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
My logic board failed, they repaired it.

then...they didnt seat the AP card properly, now i have to send it back again.

bummz. other than that, this baby is awesome.

:D

Benjin

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2006
well is assuming that rev B will come out next macworld a fair assumption or is it more likely to be a couple of years, because i've heard alot of people with these complaints so it seems that they would fix them sooner rather than later if they dont want to loose customers

ncook06

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Kingsly said:
The heat makes it that much more snuggly... besides, the case is one giant heatsink. Imagine if we kept all that heat trapped inside!

Aluminum is an incredible heatsink material.... Surely this was factored into designing a 1" thin laptop....

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
sel1965 said:
You won't be sorry it's the best out there now and probably for the next 2 or 3 years to come.

I can attest to the fact that this statement is most definitely not true, even if no other PC laptop are to smoke the MBP (and I have to admit the sony vaios are looking VERY VERY good) Rev B and C MBPs will totally destroy your machine both in stats and in features.

Oh, and needless to say, if Apple's engineers were to get their heads out of their collective rear areas perhaps those machines won't have any of the first version issues too!

sel1965

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2006
KC, MO
generik said:
I can attest to the fact that this statement is most definitely not true, even if no other PC laptop are to smoke the MBP (and I have to admit the sony vaios are looking VERY VERY good) Rev B and C MBPs will totally destroy your machine both in stats and in features.

Oh, and needless to say, if Apple's engineers were to get their heads out of their collective rear areas perhaps those machines won't have any of the first version issues too!

The one thing this Sony will never have over the MBP is OSX! You can have windows all you want and yes my MBP will be good there maybe be better macs to come but my 2.0 will hold it's own for the next 2 to 4 years. There isn't any argument you could come up with to change that. Sony looking good yeah whatever I have had one before it wasn't that great.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
sel1965 said:
The one thing this Sony will never have over the MBP is OSX! You can have windows all you want and yes my MBP will be good there maybe be better macs to come but my 2.0 will hold it's own for the next 2 to 4 years. There isn't any argument you could come up with to change that. Sony looking good yeah whatever I have had one before it wasn't that great.

*cough cough*

All I can say is if the seller insists on telling the CONSUMER (aka: the one with the money, better known as the one who is ALWAYS RIGHT) what s/he wants, they will simply take their money elsewhere and satisfy their demand one way or the other.

Steve Jobs might arguably be a visionary, but while Apple's products are generally great I do find some aspects of their products annoying.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Benjin said:
well is assuming that rev B will come out next macworld a fair assumption or is it more likely to be a couple of years, because i've heard alot of people with these complaints so it seems that they would fix them sooner rather than later if they dont want to loose customers

Rest assured that the Rev B MacBook Pro will probably be released about 6 months or so after the original one came out. Not a couple of years from now, are you kidding me?? Unless maybe you are confused what a new Rev. is, then I apologize. It just simply means new features, faster computer, etc.

Andrew7724

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2006
comparing the whine of mac book pro to a imac G5, is it about the same? I can stand the noise that my imac G5 makes completely.

1dterbeest

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2006
Waupun, WI
Mine got a little warm today, but
not to the point where it was hot
or uncomfortable to put in my lap.

And honestly, everyone had to expect
that there would be more heat from
this new computer than from a powerbook.

Brighter screen AND dual core processor
means that there is just going to be more
heat produced! So far mine hasn't been
that hot except when I copy large amounts
of files to firewire HD, run complex songs
in Reason, or render files in photoshop.

And I have NEVER seen a laptop with
a screen this bright and clear before.
I have to turn the brightness down
sometimes! That is pretty cool.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
THX1139 said:
Well, you're either bored or an ass. What's up... you afraid of someone raining on your MBP parade? I saw the post as proof that buying first version computers to be nothing but a crap-shoot. Maybe you are one of the lucky ones, or too ignorant to see you didn't spend wisely. Which is it?
Whoa there. Tone it down a bit.
This topic has been covered on about a million different threads. Thats all he was yawning about, I think.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Funny... hope I dont offend anyone!

Since Dorno removed his awesome MR whiners avatar, I will take his place:

Attachments

• 801.gif
    801.gif
    78.9 KB · Views: 155

tribe3

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2005
Vienna, VA - USA
buryyourbrideau said:
I doubt the whine will go away

thats something that mighty intel has to work on.

The whine is OS related. The guys that boot to XP don't hear it because XP uses more processor when at idle. Easy software fix that will come through update eventually.

Max on Macs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
Milton Keynes, UK
I also have the whining problem, and it's starting to drive me insane. I've got to get this machine replaced anyway due to a problem with the casing, so I'm going to phone the Apple store in Manchester tomorrow and I'll see what they have to say about the whining too - my mate bought a MacBook Pro from the same store as me just today and his doesn't whine.

Luckily I don't have the wireless issue because none of the access points I connect to are those that are affected. The good news though is that this can be fixed with a software update rather than a hardware update and I expect that Apple will include this in the 10.4.6 update.

Then there's the problem of heat. Mine also gets very hot, and it can be a bit too hot for my preference, especially on the thin bit above the keyboard. But really, does it matter? Do you need to touch that? The keyboard doesn't get too hot, netier do the touchpad or the bits to the left and right of it where you rest your hands. Really, why would you touch your MacBook Pro in any other way? It might cause some questions to be asked about sexuality.

tip

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
My MBP doesn't have any of those issues you have, with the exception of AirPort problems (which I'm hoping will get fixed in 10.4.6).

As for the heat - it does run a little warm, but never too hot to the touch.

Hope your problems get fixed.

kristian21

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2006
Well I don`t know about you guys but my MBP gets very hot. True that it`s at the top by the monitor but it`s so hot that you can`t keep your fingers on there for longer than a couple of seconds.
I know that you don`t really need to touch anything at the monitor but as far as I know heat = less lifetime.
What do some of you think about that? Should I replace it and hopefully get one that`s not too hot or would I be just waisting time because all of them are like that.
I think apple could have placed a few more ventilations on the case rather then just the one at the monitor.
My Sony Vaio PCG-K35 has at least 5 ventilations all over the case and it`s an ice box compared to the MBP.

I also have the whining problem which stops if I run PhotoBooth. Is there anyone from toronto who bought a MBP from the apple retailer and doesn`t have the problem?
I`m just wondering if I could get a replacement from them even though I bought mine from BestBuy.

tribe3

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2005
Vienna, VA - USA
kristian21 said:
Well I don`t know about you guys but my MBP gets very hot. True that it`s at the top by the monitor but it`s so hot that you can`t keep your fingers on there for longer than a couple of seconds.
I know that you don`t really need to touch anything at the monitor but as far as I know heat = less lifetime.
What do some of you think about that? Should I replace it and hopefully get one that`s not too hot or would I be just waisting time because all of them are like that.
I think apple could have placed a few more ventilations on the case rather then just the one at the monitor.
My Sony Vaio PCG-K35 has at least 5 ventilations all over the case and it`s an ice box compared to the MBP.

I also have the whining problem which stops if I run PhotoBooth. Is there anyone from toronto who bought a MBP from the apple retailer and doesn`t have the problem?
I`m just wondering if I could get a replacement from them even though I bought mine from BestBuy.

If you can't touch it for more than a couple of seconds I bet you keys will start melting any moment... get it replaced.
Mine is not that hot... Like my ex 1.67 15" Hi-Res or maybe a little more but nothing unusual

McCarron

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2006
wickedG35 said:
3. Short Battery Life:

I'm getting only a little over 2 hours with better battery life settings and a half lit display... About the same life as the powerbook my @$$! 2 hours is terrible if you ask me. No wonder Apple did not rate the battery life on the site. It would definitely steer some customers away.

Did you calibrate the battery? I get close to 3 hours after a proper battery calibration. It's in the manual, check it out.

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
McCarron said:
Did you calibrate the battery? I get close to 3 hours after a proper battery calibration. It's in the manual, check it out.

Of course.

I ran it all day until it went to sleep. Then charged it back up to a full charge. Not much has changed under full brightness use.

mbabauer

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2006
How about we "quantify" this a little

1. The whining noise:

I can't speak to much about this one. If I hold my ear RIGHT up to the vents in the hinge area, I hear a slight repeatative whining. I do have 8 servers in my home office, 2 of which on under my desk, another two on a TV stand to my left. Someone with some sound gear and this problem should try to read what the decibel levels are.

2. Airport Extreme:

Again, I don't use APE. My hub is litterally 1' from my MBP, so its using ethernet. I can maybe do some testing with Wireless, if someone wants to compare. I know my wife's PB 15" had the same issues at one point, but it ended up being a setup issue and corrected itself.

3. Short Battery Life:

I bought my MBP as primarily a desktop replacement. Since I had it, its been off only twice, and off power only 3 times, two of which were durring the battery burn-in period. I got a MBP instead of an iMac because I do have to travel some and like to take my dev box with me, just haven't yet. What we need to do to 'quantify' is setup a load test, with know parameters, that we can use to guage the battery life. Needs to be repeatable so we can get a good sampling.

This seems true on the PB also. To quantify, I took a digital probe thermometer, placed the prob against certain areas of the MBP (2.0gHz duo, 2gb ram, Serial # W8608, dual screen with Cinema 20"). Here are my readings:
  1. Key Rest (left side) - 102 degrees
  2. Just over F-keys - 111 degrees
  3. Bottom left front, just under key rest - 106 degrees

My wife's PB (PB 15", 1.67gHz G4, 2gb ram, exact same dual monitor setup) did the following:
  1. Key Rest (left side) - 97 degrees
  2. Just over F-keys - 111 degrees
  3. Bottom - 107

As a comparison, I took a reading from the bottom of my Dell D610, which was supplied by my employer. It has a 1.73gHz Pentium M and 1.24gb ram, using a similar dual screen setup (laptop + IBM P200 monitor) so the video card is working about as hard, and under neath read at 105 degrees. Now, the MBP has dual procs, plus they are clocked faster, and faster RAM and a faster Video card, and the under shell read only 1 degree hotter. I personally found that to be a fair trade off.

And, for the record, I believe ALL laptop dealers warn NOT to place their laptops directly on your lap. As stated, that why they call them 'portables' now. The last thing Dell wants is a class action from a bunch of impotent male techies.

For a $2,700 laptop (after tax in CA), you'd expect a lot more. :cool:

There are plenty of discounts out there. I got mine for $2299 + tax using a corporate discount, which I can actually get in the Apple store using my company badge. I know MOST colleges, as well as all k-12 students, get some pretty deep educational discounts. Also, I hear most teachers get a discount too. Odds are, you probably know SOMEONE that could have let you use their discount.

My friend is about to order his MBP, and I found out that I can "share" my corp perks with one other person (friend or family), so he is using it to get the same discount as I did. If you paid full retail, then that was your own fault.

Also, as another side note, this was the FIRST version of the MBP. Everyone who purchased early should note that NO ONE gets it perfect the first time, else there would never be revisions. With your money you also bought into Apple's reputation, one that I hear is pretty sound at making things right with their end-users. As such, have faith that if you present a case your product is not working to specs, that they will have the balls enough to fix it. BUT, they are not going to loose money sending out replacement MBPs if you cannot document that the majority are operating outside of the 'norm'.

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
I am a student actually and received a $200 discount. It still came out to $2500 w/ tax though. Don't get me wrong, the machine is a beast but I couldn't wait a year for REV. C or D to come out; I needed a laptop ASAP. I used MagicNoiseKiller to temporary stop the noise until Apple comes out with a solution. The APX, I have no choice but to manually connect sometimes. Heat... What can I say, it still burns up after 30 minutes use. If you put your hands on the side of the laptop (where the ports are), it's quite hot there also.

bah-bah'd

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2006
THX1139 said:
Well, you're either bored or an ass. What's up... you afraid of someone raining on your MBP parade? I saw the post as proof that buying first version computers to be nothing but a crap-shoot. Maybe you are one of the lucky ones, or too ignorant to see you didn't spend wisely. Which is it?

He has been in a really ****** mood lately. Don't get him started on no price matching at the apple store :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.