All these extra 256mb memory modules...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iW00t, Dec 23, 2006.

1. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Does anyone know if there is any demand for all those 256mb memory modules that you get left over whenever you upgrade your Mac's memory?

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

OWC (macsales.com) will give you $5 credit for them, but it costs almost that much to mail it to them. So, no.

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

ebay! you can sell almost anything there :p

4. buffalo macrumors 65816

I had read it was a good idea to keep it so if you need to warranty your mac you can stick in the original ram. Am I wrong?

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

you are right. this is probably the best plan, too, since those 256MB sticks are not really worth anything to most people.

6. mccldwll macrumors 65816

With the mbp coming with 1 x 1gb, any gain to adding 256mb? What's that bump worth (maybe $20 or so)?

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

you probably won't notice that much of an increase in speed or performance, but it wouldn't hurt. you'd be better springing for an extra 1GB stick (not necessarily from Apple, though), IMO.

8. mccldwll macrumors 65816

No doubt another gb for under $100 would be big bump, but just wondering whether, for what applications, the extra 256 might help (and value of that bump). As everyone is noticing, having a bunch of 256 chips sitting around makes no sense, not to mention cumulative environmental costs of manufacturing. Anyone here in a position to run some benchmarks (or find a smart appliance or something to utilize those chips)?

9. onthat macrumors regular

onthat

could a flash harddrive be produced from the components?

10. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

I imagine the iTV wouldn't need a lot of RAM, but it would be nice if the released product could make use of these extra RAM sticks from upgrading your laptop or iMac.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, I had no problem getting my MacBook "warranty repaired" with all of the orig. RAM replaced with third party RAM.

12. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

this is a good point but Apple has, in the past, refused to service computers with third-party hardware installed.

no because RAM is not the same as flash memory.

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

Hmm. Maybe it was because what my MacBook went in for was unquestionably not memory related.

14. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

I doubt you'd see any noticable performance increase going from 1GB to 1.25GB. i would rather just save the money and pop in another 1GB stick because you know you're going to want to upgrade it down the line ;)