All things Sega

Discussion in 'Games' started by Qoxiivi, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

When I was a kid I was Sega bonkers. I had a Megadrive (Genesis) a Saturn, a Dreamcast - heck, I even bought a 32X. And, as kids do, my friends and I always used to argue about the relative merits of Megadrive Vs SNES and Saturn Vs Playstation – albeit in heavily partisan form with no one giving an inch either way. Ah, good days.

First off, does anyone know of a good, stable Saturn emulator for the Mac? Or a Megadrive emulator for that matter?

And also, what Sega games do people remember fondly and love? Classics for me were:

Megadrive:

Streets of Rage II (“Right, I’ll go one side of him, you go the other and we’ll just slap him in turn until he’s dead”)

Star Control – awesome top-down spaceship dog-fight game

Micro Machines (“I thought we agreed that no-one was allowed to nudge anyone into the pencil sharpener”)

Sonic – all of them were awesome (apart from Sonic 3 – until the expansion pack was released, oh, and Sonic Spinball – what was that about?)

Saturn:

Panzer Dragoon Saga – the best role-play game I’ve ever played

Street Fighter 2 Alpha – no one could beat me at this game

Nights into Dreams – bizarre game but great fun

Sega Rally – at one point, I had the fastest time in the country at this game (Lancia Stratos – Forest Course)

Guardian Heroes – possibly the best scrolling beat ‘em up ever made (along with Streets of Rage II)

Virtua Fighter 2 – awesome depth for a fighting game – never really got even near as good as you can at this game

Exhumed – extremely underrated FPS by the same people that ported Quake and Duke Nukem to Saturn

So, any others?

Qoxiivi :)

2. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

At the time, I was on the Nintendo side of the console wars. But, I was secretly in love with the Shining Force and the Phantsy Star Online games. I also once played Power Stones on the Dreamcast and though this was one of the best fighting game ever, although not in the traditional way. I usually don't like fighting game but that one was furious fun.

Now, I'm waiting for the revolution to play all those Sega classics I was not man enough to try at the time ^_^

3. Qoxiivi thread starter macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

I forgot about the Shining Force games :p . Shining in Darkness on the Saturn was awesome - and with the usual tinge of the ridiculous associated with all Team Sonic games.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

What's the Dreamcast like? My local gaming store has a little section designated to old consoles and they have a Dreamcast in the box for AUD$99. I've been tempted to pick up either a PSOne refurb and a refurb copy of Quake 2 or a refurbed N64.

I don't really game but it's boring down here with all my mates gone home for Christmas and not really due back until the end of the summer.

5. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

http://dreamcast.ign.com/

i love my dreamcast.. i still have alike 20 games for it... although they are mostly fighting games.... jet grind radio was awesome fun.. and soul calibur... you must get that game... yes it is fighting but it was awesome. surprisingly it had decent rpgs to. skies of arcadia and grandia 2...well good luck if you buy it... and if it's mad ccheap thats a good deal if you could find the games.

i started with the master system... games like golden axe adventure (which was a zelda clone),the ninja,a baseball game and the original phantsy star.

i also had the genisis
    32x
    and original cd player the one that stacked that was amazing having it all together.

6. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

I still have a master system, game gear, megadrive (the first one), saturn and a dreamcast :cool:

Sega for ever :p

Although, i was rather partial to a bit of mario on a mates nintendo :eek:

7. steelfist macrumors 6502a

i was a sonic fan, and now i am still am. :p i enjoyed sonic heroes. nice conecpt, very fun gameplay. love the strategy that is needed in that game, using power, speed, or fly in different combinations. i got an A on every level of all 4 characters, unlocked super hard mode and beated it :D.

now, i'm going backwards to sonic and knuckles, and etc. i watched the anime sonic X, and enjoyed especially the first episode, comparing today's speed technologies with him. sam's racing formula 1 police car can top at over 550 MPH, and sonic easily beated that. he actually went over 1000 MPH by breaking through the speed barrier and creating a sonic boom. and that's all 6 months ago.

looking forward to Shadow the hedgehog game coming soon. shadow is one of my most favorite characters, especially his hovershoes. gosh i want those

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I LOVED the Genesis/Megadrive Sonic games. The combo game of Sonic 3 & Knuckles is one of my favorite games of all time. I got all fourteen emeralds with every character. Hyper Sonic rocked. :D

Someone I know got to go to that recent event where Reggie was at McDonalds signing DS's and playing games. He answered questions at one point and was "extremely optimistic" about Sega games being on Revolution and thought it was very likely. Yay!

9. Qoxiivi thread starter macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

I loved that game too! I was disappointed with Sonic 3 but with Sonic and Knuckles it all made sense and became one of the best platformers ever made.

Ditto with the emmeralds - Hyper Sonic was awesome :D

10. 7on macrumors 601

7on

maybe he meant Sega making Revolution titles, because you know, they still make games.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I loved these two. I have to add Radiant Silvergun. That game was sooooo much fun. :) And Sonic Adventure and House of the Dead II on Dreamcast, although it was waaaay too hard. :)

Hehehe...I loved the voices in Sonic Adventure. Kaeru-kun...doko-ni iru, ka na? :D And the voices in HotD2 were great in a whole 'nother way. :)

But PDS was just an amazing, amazing game. I don't think I've ever played a video game with more absorbing atomspherics.

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

He was talking about the classic titles.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I had a NES, then a Mega Drive so I had a lot of amazing games to play as a child. the Mega Drive has so many classics (AND the Sega controllers would plug into my Amiga too! double wammy mwhaha). Streets of Rage 2 is an uber-classic! the first real co-op game I had. Really has to be one of my favourite games. I didn't like 1 or 3. didn't feel the same.
    And of course Sonic 2. legend of a game.

There were some sucky games too. Arton Senna's GP, Greendog etc.

Apparently yea, Sega MAY be joining the Revolutions download list. It would make SO much sense. Nintendo did say that other companies will be providing games too, not just Nintendo exclusives.

14. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I think the Dreamcast is one of the best systems ever made. I loved that system. You will have lots of fun if you pick one up.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I love picking up cheap old systems. I paid $35 for my Saturn and $25 for PDS. :D

16. kaylee macrumors regular

kaylee

For emulation, I use
    Genesis Plus
    Can't help with Saturn sorry.

17. cait-sith macrumors regular

shining force was one of my favourite games, ever. i got a gamegear just to play the sf: sword of haija game. ah to be a kid agian.

think i'll dl that emulator and grab shining force now.. heh!

18. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Sega is going to be re-releasing the Dreamcast in 2006 bundled with Radilgy
    Its weird this was posted as I just dusted off the old Dreamcast and downloaded some awesome homebrew apps and Emulators lik NesterDC SE

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

... not exactly.

Sega of Japan will be selling on refurbished Dreamcast's in Japan only. in a very limited stock too.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

21. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Only posting what i heard, take a freaking chill pill

22. Qoxiivi thread starter macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

Does anyone know if Sega Rally 2 on the dreamcast is worth a buy - I loved the first one but held off on buying the second one as, following luke-warm reviews at the time, I didn't want to be disappointed.

Q

23. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Like another here, I was on the Nintendo side of the fence... though I had a friend with Megadrive and he had this cool top-view racing game where you shifted between a car, MC and plane (and maybe a boat too? don't remember). Awesome game :D Don't remember the name though.

Always wanted a Dreamcast, but couldn't afford it at the time... :(

24. Qoxiivi thread starter macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

Panzer Dragoon Saga was an astonishing game. What talented developers Team Andromeda were - graphically, they had the Saturn doing things people said it wasn't capable of, the sound was stunning, the fighting system was fantastic, the story was awesome and, for its time, mature, and the ending was breath-taking. Simply one of the best, and most complete games ever made. There was nothing wrong with it.

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well put. :)