all this talk about new tibook, but where is it

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by jefhatfield, Apr 28, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i have seen persistent rumors pay off after about two weeks at most, but i have never seen such a product talked about with so much zeal as the new tibook with no results from apple

it's been at least nine weeks on macrumors that we have pounded this tibook rumor and so far...nothing

maybe we have to face that apple will not do anything for the tibook until late this summer or at the end of the year, if at all

i still think the big thing on the horizon is the g5 and apple's move towards it for pro gear

the g4 processor will be used only for the consumer gear shortly after the new year (my guess)

due to the having more transistors being put on a chip more efficiently with a smaller micron process, heat becomes less and less of an issue so the lag time between a chip from a desktop to laptop has become smaller

in the pc world, the use of the pentium 4 desktop processor being used widely in laptops is a sign of this

perhaps apple will bypass the dual g4 tibook or superdrive tibook and simply put in a g5 processor a few months after they get the g5 processor for the desktop later this year (hopefully)

my hopeful 2 cents

my prediction at this point : no new tibook, g5 is taking apple's attention at the moment

2. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i just got back from apple's store site and www.apple-hitory.com and still no new tibook (since october, 2001)

...so now i understand the context of people itching to have apple get going on this

how do you convince a first time "pro" buyer that apple's high end laptop starts at under 600mhz when the pc offering of high end laptops all have 1.3 ghz+ athlon 4s and pentium 4s with four times the ram and double the video ram for the same $2300 dollars?

3. spuncan macrumors 6502

No Proof

Now Im not one of those "insiders" so this Is and educated guess.
    K recently store have had low stock of the TiBook.
    The Apple Store recently pushed the ship date to 5 days for the TiBook.
    Both of these thing are tell-tale signs of a release soon.
    So check the coming events Hmm only big one w/ a S.J. keynote is WWDC so that looks like a good release date song hold on for another 8 days.
    Oh yeah u will get a look at 10.2 definitly since even Apple has confirmed that.
    BTW- the iBook has the same condition as for ship time so a update could be in store for that too. As for the iMac and PowerMac neither of these signs have occured yet so those will probably get updated at MWNY or latter.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've been saying all along, look to WWDC for a release, it won't happen this week. Once the key note is over and no TiPB, well, then you have a right to complain.

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Don't forget about the talk of new TiBooks on Monday...could be. Guess we'll see then.

I think Apple could probably roll out a simple CPU/GPU update without too much trouble, and still keep their focus on the desktop, whatever it may be.

6. gbojim macrumors 6502

I dropped in to a local reseller last Friday to buy a couple of TiBooks for a customer. They did not have any in stock, and the sales person told me that Apple is currently not accepting orders.

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Sounds like even more evidence to support something coming out this week...waiting, as always, is the hardest part. :D

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ok, now maybe they will be putting out the new speedbumped TiPB this week. I don't get it. Why would you do that if you have a great medium for getting more publicity at the key note at WWDC?

Unless we're going to see something even better?!?

I'm very curious...

9. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

A mere speedbump, without a faster bus, different RAM, higher res screen, etc, should ONLY be done as a non-event... if you do something like that at an expo, or even WWDC, it will draw a LOT of fire from the "Is THAT all??" camp. Better to just slip them in there until you can do something impressive.

10. Luckster macrumors member

Re: all this talk about new tibook, but where is it

Actually, it is a different processor. It took Intel almost a year to manage to drop the power and heat requirements of the P4 to be able to use it in a laptop. The desktop version of the processor runs much hotter than does a G4. In fact, the Athalon beat the P4 to the laptop because the P4 runs so hot. The gap between desktop and laptop is shrinking, but than is not really due to Moore's Law. Because the transistors are getting smaller, it means that you can force more onto an equivalent slice of silicon. Actually, it has been predicted that the chips of the future will be quite large and require immense amounts of power. What will prevent this is simply smarter engineering and learning to deal with the complexities of such an intricate system.

11. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: all this talk about new tibook, but where is it

intel has the pentium 4-m which is up to 1.7 ghz and the pentium 4 which goes over 2 ghz and winbook.com uses both for laptops, for instance

at one time, voltage issues and nimh batteries were a problem, but now with lower voltages and liion and lp batteries, desktop processors are now a viable option

personallly, i would get the p4-m instead of the regular desktop processor because for me, battery life is the single most important issue for a laptop (more than storage, screen space, or speed)

laptop weight is my second most important issue

hey, i am a wimp and i type slow:D

12. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

hey jefhatfield, don't you think you're complaining a little too soon? all you have to do is wait another day and you'll see that the new TiBooks are released. even then they might be released at WWDC. then again, PC laptops are up to 1.8GHz. the 'high end' Powerbook definitely won't be able to stand up to this for too long.

13. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

it's here

same bus, no ddr ram

...but i like the speed bump...and i think this will be the final revision of the tibook before they do something drastic in the future like dual processors, superdrive, or even g5:D

14. CHess macrumors regular

...plus better screen resolution, better graphics, and support for Apple flat panel displays... Very cool :)