All this talk about the XBox 360 - so how powerful is it?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mr. Anderson, May 14, 2005.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So how fast is it? And does anyone think its possible to get an XBench score on the thing?

D

2. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Seeing as it's not released for 6 months or so, no. Ever heard of a console being benchmarked before it comes out?

3. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

well, there might be something floating around out there - who knows. I was just curious if its a system that could be compared to a Mac or is it apples and oranges....

D

4. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

5. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Yeah apples and oranges. I think ive herd some place that it can't be compared because the core prosessers are "watered down" though im not 100% sure.

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yeah, I'd agree with Poff and runninmac on that. It's stripped down- good for gaming, probably bad for anything else.

Apples and oranges. The scores on the processor won't tell you much.

As for the graphics card, all the next gen consoles will be insanely powerful. The XBox 360 should outperform an X800 XT. They're all using the next-gen cards from NVidia and ATi. So on all the next gen consoles, expect graphics that blow away anything we have now.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It's this powerful!

<--------------------------------------------------------------------------->

:D heh...

I just downloaded and watched the launch on MTV, damn, that's some top notch marketing. Talking about creating as much possible hype with your target market. The console looks very impressive.

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

This isn't an anti-XBox thing, before anyone flames me, but...

You actually...LIKED...the MTV airing? The one with all the "black gangster" stereotypes shouting "dog" and "man" every sentence? With the male hating blone that overused certain cusswords to the point that it was ridiculous? The one that actually gave no information, but spent about 15 minutes playing a music video, only showed about a collective minute of game footage (of which some games had visible lag, obviously early builds, I hope), making fun of the nerd with the technical questions, and was mainly spent trying to look 'cool' and failing miserably?

Even the greatest XBox fans I've met hated the showing. Honestly, not trying to offend you, you are the first person I've met that enjoyed it :eek:

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I hate all of that talk, but the fact is that that launch will have done their marketing campaign the world of good, and at the end of the day for them that is what matters.

Love it or hate it, they had prime time on MTV with celebs practically wetting themselves over it.

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I hate all that talk yo, it b mad wack yo.... Anyway i gotta bounce and get my "women" i gots to go and pick up my hummer with 25" rims and TV's all over yo...you know what i mean son :rolleyes:

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

LOL

Anyway edesignuk...yeah, they did a good job getting the celebrities there, though from what I heard a lot of them were just paid to get there (could be wrong but if its true, genius on MS' part) or went for free goodies.

I guess teenagers who watch MTV and stuff will think it is cool. But I was completely disgusted. I was anticipating the event and recorded it. And it turned out to be a hype-fest with no actual information at all, with alpha versions of games running on early versions of the hardware with visible lag.

But yeah, getting the Celebrities there will probably make it 'cool'.

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That's what I'm saying. America (bring on horrible generalization...:eek:) seems to be obsessed with "celebrity" more so than anywhere else. Just getting them there, on MTV of all places (very "hip" :eek: :p), seeming very excited about it (never mind the fact they are obviously getting paid well) does exactly what they want, create a buzz. So though I don't actually like the presentation, I think they did a good job of doing what needed to be done.

13. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Edesign- spot on regarding the American fanaticism with all things "celebrity". I think that most of us over 18 are pretty fed up with it though. The MTV promo was intended for the 12-18 year olds, so they know what to ask Santa for.

Anyway, back on topic. The 360 is insanely powerful, all things considered. Triple-cores @ 3.2Ghz will scream (even with only 6 pipelines). And the custom ATI R500 chip spanks my X800 Pro (which I paid >$400 for 6 months ago!). The genius part is the "48-way parallel floating-point dynamically scheduled shader pipelines" in the 360's R500 gfx card. This means developers have the choice between high-detail geometry and high-detail effects. Awesome. Finally every game won't look exactly the same.

14. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

You know, I was thinking the same things. I turned on MTV about 20 minutes into the show, and immediately thought to myself "God I hate MTV!" I mean they have just been getting worse and worse. Definitely do not deserve the M in MTV anymore.

What was with the Pimp My Ride guys talking about how they modded old Xboxes on their show. Who cares? And then what was the point of showing that Perfect Dark tournament, they showed virtually no game play, focused more on what team was winning (the one with one of the top gamers in the world or the one with the other people), and kept spouting out terrible commentary. I guess it worked with the celebrities and all the stupid hype about the wrong things, cause lots of people watched it. And now everyone is excited and talking about it, but come on. The little bit of info they did give I already knew about, so I basically wasted my time. Oh wait, I got to see a 2 second clip of all the prototype models.... wtf?

/rant

sorry.

15. mac-er macrumors 65816

I was reading something in the paper about this...

The paper said, while the chip is essentially a PowerPC chip, it is split into three "cores", which make it much more powerful than the typical home computer.

If spliting the PowerPC into three cores makes it more powerful, why doesn't Apple put this type of chip into the Mac?