......all this talk of 1.4!! -- no, 1.2!! --no, 8.9!! -- i just want to know....

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by lemmon, May 30, 2002.

1. lemmon macrumors newbie

while i appreciate all the talk and conversations on what the next top of the line apple will be....i can't seem to pull 3 large out of my couch cusions.

i'm more interested in the entry level...
    from what i've been able to gather, i'm guessing it's going to have a processor and some memory, maybe a hard drive :p

does anyone have any guesses on whether they'll include L3 cache this time, since it's already on the dual 1GHz of now?
    what about DDR, will they skimp the lower model out of that?

any help or predictions are appreciated.

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Welcome to MacRumors, lemmon. :)

Okay, let's say the low end won't have DDR, will be a single GHz G4 with L3 cache, 256MB RAM, and a combo drive. A little optimistic? Perhaps. Then again, it could be a 1GHz G4 with DDR. Your guess is really as good as mine. We're so close... :D

3. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Low end will be

1599$
    1GHZ G4
    256 DDR Ram
    2 MB L3 Cache
    60 Gig
    CDRW / Super Optional
    GeForce 4MX
    Gigabit ethernet
    1 Firewire 2 port
    2 Firewire ports
    2 USB on Back

New cases everyone!!!!

4. crazibyte macrumors newbie

Back to the mac, what are your sources for this info?

5. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Man, for real, why is it that everytime someone posts something people want to know their source. That is something that I cannot reveal for obvious reasons. If I am wrong, and I could be then I was wrong. But I don't think that I am wrong.

Oh, the sources name is "Deep Throat" :D

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Because intelligent minds want to know how you come up with this stuff... ;) ...

With that in mind... I hope that Apple comes out with a fast (real fast) single processor system this time with a single chip speed that is above each of the duals. Somthing like sp1GHz, sp1.4GHz dp1.2GHz... I would buy the faster single, but can't justify the dualie. I just don't have enough software that will take true advantage of it. I know OS X will, but I don't own photoshop, and don't do enough with the 3d apps.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I think if the 1.4 comes out, it will be a dual. Why hold back the power when its sitting right in front of you. You'd get more screaming, more than people like you Alpha who want a fast single. I think the duals are here to stay, and we might even see more than 2 processors, wouldn't mind a quad myself.

Now, where's that winning lotto ticket, it was just here a second ago......

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Yeah, and you can call me Cancerman. :D (Although I've never touched a cigarette in my life... yuk! And I don't have cancer... hmm... on second thought, forget Cancerman. How about... Well-Manicured Man! Yeah!)

But seriously, if you do have a source, at least say you got it from a source. Or totally make it up, like me! :p

Speculation is all one and the same, but it does help to know which came from an actual source (and no, your grandmother doesn't count!) and which just came arbitrarily.

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

I thought that information w/o a citation or reference means that you actually know what's going down. I even got a little flamed for this...if someone is not sure of something, at least put "I think...", "Maybe...", "IMO..." or something saying that you are not sure. That way you won't be flamed for being wrong. Besides, IMO (see? :)) nobody would really get much more recognition if they assumed the information is correct and did not leave a citation, even if they were correct, instead of someone being correct and saying "I think that...".

Again, this is all speculation building. Our current guesses are probably as close as they come, until something actually comes out. So we have 1.2GHz or 1.4GHz maximum, with 1.5 being questionable, possible new cases, possibly DDRAM, and possibly a few other surprises. I would like to see 1.4GHz and DDRAM, but I think that it may be pushing the price of the Pro-Mac line up too high.

Fear the King.

10. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

thats a computer i WOULD get ;)
    60 gigs is well more than i'll ever need but then again i'm gonna get high speed sooner or later, but good price n specs :D

11. lemmon thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies guys, i appreciate it.

that's kind of the ideas i was having about it, it's just that i'm a college student, and i would have more money ...... if i had a computer to be doing websites and magazine layouts on, but i have to BUY a computer first, THEN i'll get some money.....
    (( don't you hate the way that works? ))

another thing i've noticed (( i've been romping around this site for months now w/out registering )) is that there hasn't been a lot of speculation about case design.

if these people with unmentionable sources have inside clues to the insides of the new towers ...... why no insite to the outside?

(( just being curious, don't want to offend anyone ))

i guess all i'm really worried about is whether apple will finally bring their entry level protower up to speed. i mean, i consider myself a pro enough user to justify L3 cache, and the nice video card, and DDR....but i just cannot shell it out right now for the next level, you know?

is anyone else in my same situation?
    what are you considering?
    i'm definitely waiting until july, whether i get a brand new one or a nicely discounted current model, what do you think is the right route to go?

(( thanks for hearing me ))

12. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

To get an idea of possible prices...

...take an XServe. Knock 1000-1500 bucks off the price (999 for OSX server, 0-500 for 1U case, ATA controllers, etc...). Drop a new processor in it. Add in stuff a desktop needs (super drive, nice graphics card), take out stuff it doesn't (dual gigabit ethernet, 4 ata controllers, etc...). I'll leave someone else to work out what this would cost, but I think you'll like it.

13. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

Ddr ram DDr ram DDRam! cha cha cha

Anyway you slice it. its coming out!
    DDR ram is a must and will make any speed powermac faster!
    Feed the Chip!

Dont buy anything that doesnt have DDR ram!
    Sent a message to Apple, the servers have it.
    Now feed the chip in the powermacs!

Feed the Chip!

DDR ram! cha cha cha

I think that last wine cooler was a bit too long in the fridge, brain freeze~

14. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Re: Ddr ram DDr ram DDRam! cha cha cha

Wine Cooler? Grok I would have always taken you for a Jack Daniels kind of guy ;)

You are correct of the DDR. It should give massive performance boost to all apps, especially X. I would imagine the system would actually feel "snappy".

15. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

has apple ever done a single and dual at the same speed (apart from the XServe)...eg.. 1GHz single, 1.2GHz single, 1.2GHz dual?

16. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Not released at the same time. Or available to purchase as new at the same time.