Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rootus

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2008
Portland, OR
I am like you regarding the 1GB RAM. My guess is they are either squeezing every ounce of battery life out of it or they have not been able to bring the power consumption down enough to allow more RAM.

Either way, I believe power consumption plays a major role when deciding RAM.
Maybe Apple needs to hire someone with experience in power efficiency. The current iPhone already has decidedly mediocre battery life, I'd hate to think they'd actually limit RAM as their only strategy for improving it. Safari already reloads tabs far too often as it is, we need more RAM not less.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
The idea of a 5.5 inch iPhone has really grown on me. If these are controlled leaks, they're really doing their job.

JohnPhamlore

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
If the supposed 5.5 inch screen iPhone isn't ready to at least be released in some small quantities at the same time as the launch of the 4.7 inch scree iPhone, face it, then the 5.5 inch phone won't be released until late 2015. Apple has ZERO reason to release such a major update to the iPhone right after the United States holiday season.

Especially if the iWatch is released, Apple will have plenty of other new product to hype. It would be far better to save up the 5.5 inch iPhone for the next release cycle late 2015.

Notice this cycle the high end competitors to Apple did not exactly introduce anything revolutionary to their phones, and they're still maybe years behind being able to release a 64-bit phone that actually runs 64-bit software.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Showing the next iPhone using Excel 2003 on Windows XP...

is it really that hard to understand that foxconn is not apple and therefore they might have old computers? or you really think that a factory that manufactures stuff has got the latest software and hardware? Come on guys, stop with the XP, Excel nonsense! Every factory usually has very VERY OLD computers!!!

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
My theory

Tim Cook: "We're going to 'double down' on secrecy"
Meeeeeh...

With regards to the iPhone, Apple doesn't mind these 'leaks' because overall sales volumes are down in the smartphone market worldwide. Apple, being the masters of corporate buzz and spin, either don't care or encourage leaks about iPhones to get people excited about a device that Apple wants you to re-buy every two years even if you really don't need it.
My support for this theory is the fact that there is hardly anything about the wearable device they may be making. No images of prototypes, no drawings etc. it's a lot like when the first iPhone came out. Things seem pretty tight about it. And the same holds true for Apple TV.

Clearly security, doubling down or not, seems to be working.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
Second, since the dimensions are taken from a "center" line it would appear that what ever is on the blue print ( not sure if the blue print is the fixture that holds what becomes the phone's outer shell or the outer shell it's self) is 63.2 mm wide (iphone 5s is 58.6 mm wide) and roughly 134 mm long.

Interesting, assuming that is with a 4.7" screen in comparison to the HTC One X+ I am currently using it would be roughly the same length (which is unfortunate) but 6.7mm less in width. Not bad.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
With regards to the iPhone, Apple doesn't mind these 'leaks' because overall sales volumes are down in the smartphone market worldwide. Apple, being the masters of corporate buzz and spin, either don't care or encourage leaks about iPhones to get people excited about a device that Apple wants you to re-buy every two years even if you really don't need it.
My support for this theory is the fact that there is hardly anything about the wearable device they may be making. No images of prototypes, no drawings etc. it's a lot like when the first iPhone came out. Things seem pretty tight about it. And the same holds true for Apple TV.

Clearly security, doubling down or not, seems to be working.

Yep, I agree. iPhone is not something to be secretive about. They will hold onto few things (like 64bit was surprise) but its not a product to be crazy secretive about. New categories and new products are the ones that Apple cares about as timing and introduction is crucial. Seeing that all watches on the market are still mediocre its really vital that nothing gets leaked as that could ruin Apple's brilliance. I assume that we will see demo of iWatch at WWDC if they want to release it later this year just like they did with the iPhone and iPad (few months before launch)

It would be good if people would stop these nonsense jokes about "doubling down" etc. Its boring already :))

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
business wise, in order to upgrade to windows 7/8 with latest excel, you'd have to re-train workers, buy new equipment, and buy new software. thousands of them.
there's no economic reason to upgrade to the latest and greatest software if the old one still works.

is it really that hard to understand that foxconn is not apple and therefore they might have old computers? or you really think that a factory that manufactures stuff has got the latest software and hardware? Come on guys, stop with the XP, Excel nonsense! Every factory usually has very VERY OLD computers!!!

The economic reason is Windows XP and Excel 2003 are no longer supported and you risk malware infections as well as hacker attacks with them. In the end that costs a lot. Besides it still looks weird showing off the latest and greatest Apple stuff with ancient Microsoft stuff.

JohnPhamlore

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
The economic reason is Windows XP and Excel 2003 are no longer supported and you risk malware infections as well as hacker attacks with them. In the end that costs a lot. Besides it still looks weird showing off the latest and greatest Apple stuff with ancient Microsoft stuff.

Big enough companies or governments can still buy support for Windows XP from Microsoft.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010

Have you been in any factory? Those computers are usually not even connected to internet. If anything, they might just be connected to local network but not all of them. You are mixing something that is unrelated to factories! Try to get a tour in on of your local factories and ask them about computers. It will give you a better insight.
P.s.: As some mentioned here, there are still factories that run windows 95 or ME so thank god for XP as XP was really solid system and people were fighting for it for ages thats why Microsoft had to extend the lifetime of it 2x I believe (1x for sure).

----------

for those talking about XP and Excel, watch this and then let me know if its still a concern of yours :(

http://sharepowered.com/see-the-human-cost-of-your-iphone-and-it-will-shock-you/#

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
Take it from a old molding engineer, I see ejector pins and bosses in this drawing.
This is a design for a plastic injection mold.

So either IPhone 6 is plastic or this is a hoax.

Also I see no coring out for a camera lense.

Kind of hazy but it looks around 5.3" x 2.5" Can't read the thickness.

This can't be the IPhone 6.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
If Apple releases an aluminum unibody, edge to edge display 5.5" iPhone I'll be in line day 1! :D:D:D

krewger

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2012
Looks like an otter box case or some other large obnoxious variety of case manufacturing to me!

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
As someone that works in a CNC manufacturing plant, I have quite a lot of expriance using blue print drawings. The blue print looks fairly authentic. Although the only use of GD&T is in regards to the thickness and flatness of the part, it is comman even today to use coordinate dimensioning with alittle GD&T, which is what this drawing has.

First, this is not a mold but rather a fixture that holds the metal in place while endmills cut the metal to the specifications ( not referring to the blue print)

Second, since the dimensions are taken from a "center" line it would appear that what ever is on the blue print ( not sure if the blue print is the fixture that holds what becomes the phone's outer shell or the outer shell it's self) is 63.2 mm wide (iphone 5s is 58.6 mm wide) and roughly 134 mm long.

On a side note, this drawing requires the bottom surface to be parallel to the top surface within 0.020 mm ( that's 20 microns) which is pretty tight tolerances.

Those are Mold plates and those milled out areas are the locks for the A&B plates of the mold.

A plate is the hot side where the plastic come thru and B plate is the ejector side where the cavity of the part is and the ejector pins that knock the part out of the mold.

Take all of the pictures to gather and they make no sense.

This is a hodge podge of BS.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Check out apples 5c video. These molds have similarities. (Yes i know Injection Molded parts have two piece molds) but I'm looking at other similarities. Check out the large ejector pins. There are also no cut outs for cameras in the mold its self. Those are done in a process after.

Screen_Shot_2014_04_13_at_5_41_36_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2014_04_13_at_5_43_29_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2014_04_13_at_5_46_45_PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.