Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Ditto. :( I want them to pull it out the bag and shows us things that haven't been rumoured, completely surprise us. It's not gonna happen though, is it?

I feel this Touch ID thing is going to be another Siri. Sounded fun - but rarely ever used here. I can't keep using "It's got a better camera" excuse either. I need more!

I hope it's a precursor to NFC as a security measure. I know Apple had iPhone 5 NFC prototypes but bailed when banks refused to acquiesce to their % of purchases.

I have to admit, "Siri" on iOS 7 is a major improvement. Faster, uses a "natural" voice, can open more apps, has more "control" and has yet to cock up any dictations (even long emails). I demonstrated this to my father who is losing his eyesight, and he was impressed he could do everything he needed on his iPad Mini without typing, etc.

Otherwise, not impressed. I'm wondering if I should hold out for the "6" but I planned on ditching AT&T for Verizons Family Share Plan, saving me ~$70/mo.

ricartedor

macrumors member
May 12, 2008
I'm not disputing that more places are starting to accept NFC payments.

I'm just not convinced that it has caught on to any great degree where people are really using it in a widespread way.

I know that if I asked a my friends and family if they used NFC, they probably wouldn't even know what NFC was.

Yes you're probably right NFC as a buzzword doesnt mean a lot to the general public. Still, I would have preferred an iPhone 5s with NFC as opposed to just the fingerprint reader - seems like that would have been a killer feature then!

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
NSA badly needs your fingerprints in addition to everything else -

NSA Has Full "Back Door" Access To iPhone, BlackBerry And Android Smartphones, Documents Reveal

The United States' National Security Agency intelligence-gathering operation is capable of accessing user data from smart phones from all leading manufacturers. Top secret NSA documents that SPIEGEL has seen explicitly note that the NSA can tap into such information on Apple iPhones, BlackBerry devices and Google's Android mobile operating system.

The documents state that it is possible for the NSA to tap most sensitive data held on these smart phones, including contact lists, SMS traffic, notes and location information about where a user has been.

In the internal documents, experts boast about successful access to iPhone data in instances where the NSA is able to infiltrate the computer a person uses to sync their iPhone. Mini-programs, so-called "scripts," then enable additional access to at least 38 iPhone features.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-...ackberry-and-android-smartphones-documents-re
I'm sure they also have full access to US passports that include biometric info, and the database of Customs' fingerprints of foreigners who visited the US as well.

FUDkill!

terrapinjess

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
Again a case of not knowing how the world works. Sorry if this sounds pedantic, but in a supply chain as complicated as the iPhone's with the volumes that are produced it is impossible to keep everything a secret. You can bet that Apple's processes in terms of confidentiality and security are among the most advanced in the industry, but something is bound to leak.

Compare this to the lower volume products and you see a different pattern. The Mac Pro came out of nothing earlier this year, because the supply chain is smaller and it hasn't hit peak production year.

And finally, it might be worth thinking not about what you DO know, but what you DON'T know. There is no way of knowing about possible new products being introduced that we haven't heard of yet.

So, the conclusion is that you have no idea of what is being done to keep all these things secret, so it is also not very advisable to make assumptions on the effectiveness of Apple on these things.

Oh no, no! I wasn't bashing Apple or their process' at all. I agree with what you said too. I actually thought of the Mac Pro as I was typing that original post. That was under wraps as opposed to...
But yeah... The high volume most definitely has to do with the leaks...

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Oh no, no! I wasn't bashing Apple or their process' at all. I agree with what you said too. I actually thought of the Mac Pro as I was typing that original post. That was under wraps as opposed to...
But yeah... The high volume most definitely has to do with the leaks...

Cool. Sorry I realise that I was being really pedantic. Thanks for the nice response!

wigglewiggle

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2013
Looks like Apple is now using NFC to make payments - dressed up as "Apple Pay"

:)

----------

I'm not disputing that more places are starting to accept NFC payments.

I'm just not convinced that it has caught on to any great degree where people are really using it in a widespread way.

I know that if I asked a my friends and family if they used NFC, they probably wouldn't even know what NFC was.

They still probably wouldn't, a year later.

They'll know it as "Apple Pay"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.