Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
iPhone 6 will most definitely not be revealed at WWDC. It would kill iPhone 5s sales for the next 4 months until it's released!

Yes. That's also the reason why there will be no word about a 5.5" iPhone, if one will ever exists.

People will always wonder if they should wait for the 5.5" version when the 4.7" iPhone is introduced in september.

I'm sure that the 5.5" version is just a prototype for the eastern countries and will not be available at all.

My guess is that Apple will not limit its sales potential by repeating the 5s/5c experiment. I still believe the 5c was a failure, not as a device, but as a marketing strategy.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
Really not liking the fact that the flash isn't aligned properly within that silver shape.

Don't imagine the antenna lines to get any smaller either.

Hmmm, initial excitement has now turned into apprehension.

Chazz08

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2012
Does no one seriously notice the apple logo cutout? I've been wondering about it forever...

Post #26 shows a pic with the same cutout, it's just covered with something. interesting.

----------

I'm guessing that dual flash is done then? Unless this back cover is for the 6C?

I remember seeing something about them making the dual flash in a circle, not an oval shape. I think I saw it on these rumors. It was a patent or something they got where one flash would encircle the other. Either that, or I just made it up. haha.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
so lets say until know we already know ONLY the dimension of the phone right?
about 138x67. But i think apple will not let those bezels like in iphone 5, they will be thinner, so by my math the display will be a 4.8" or 4.9"

Chazz08

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2012
There's a good reason why they stopped doing iPhones at WWDC. Apple wants to release their most popular product right before the holiday season. Early June doesn't sell as well, so if they announce any hardware at all, it's generally stuff for the back-to-school crowd, or the kind of hardware the Pros use to do their work.

Not true, but if you forgot about the tsunami that happened and disrupted the supply chains throwing everyone back, then I guess your explanation would make sense. But, what I stated is what really happened. Then they kept with their year renewals instead of moving it back to June. I even remember everyone talking about and hoping they'd show it off in June even though the previous year it was pushed back.

----------

Looks like the next iPhone would use LiquidMetal as the chassis of the iPhone 6.

So, it could be thinner than iPhone 5S while increasing inner space for bigger battery.

You really think it will use liquid metal?

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
we dont have a real think about the bezels size, only for the physical dimensions right?

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I apologise that I haven't drilled through this entire thread to see if anyone shares this opinion, but my guess with the flash is that they've squeezed a dual LED into a circular shape, or found a better technique to produce a more natural flash.

And yes, the antenna breaks look pretty horrendous.

Last edited:

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
People are really misinterpreting these "antenna lines." According to the leaked CAD drawings (which nobody seems to be able to properly interpret), the top and bottom portions of the phone (which are the two cellular antennas for the phone) are seemingly a single piece, not two separate pieces of aluminum with a plastic line in between. And the way this part attaches to the enclosure, to me doesn't seem possible with anything other than Liquid Metal, the shape and fitment of the part is far too complex to be a machined part.

I know we've been hearing the Liquid Metal cries for 4 years now, but I truly think that this year might actually be the time. And since they aren't making the entire enclosure out of liquid metal, only the top and bottom edges, it seems very feasible that they could manufacture the material at scale for just this small part.

So quite the contrary. Jony Ive didn't get hit in the head, he's arguably doing some of the most sophisticated work of his entire career (also see the Mac Pro). The mechanical engineering of this part, the way the top and bottom edges attach to the enclosure, is incredibly sophisticated. I know most people in the Apple rumor community aren't engineers and don't understand what they're looking at when they see leaked diagrams, but I work in Sheetmetal and can somewhat interpret drawings, so this is just what I was able to gather from the leaked CAD drawings so far.

I guarantee this, when the real phone comes out, and we get to see the final product and hear the design story behind it, a lot of you all criticizing now are going to swallow your words. You can't get a true appreciation for something until you see it all come together. Bookmark this post and come see if I'm correct in September. And if anyone is curious which CAD drawing I'm referring to that shows to me that there are liquid metal components, I can post it.

I really, really hope you're right! :) Either way, I'm stoked to see the new 4.7" iPhone. Can't wait!

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Okay, at this rate, I think these leaks are real. Whether they are for an iPhone or a new iPod Touch, who knows. Those "thick" separations don't look too well on the old leaks (black on silver), but these uniform colored ones actually look fine to me. I would love a green iPhone (or orange). :)

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
People are really misinterpreting these "antenna lines." According to the leaked CAD drawings (which nobody seems to be able to properly interpret), the top and bottom portions of the phone (which are the two cellular antennas for the phone) are seemingly a single piece, not two separate pieces of aluminum with a plastic line in between. And the way this part attaches to the enclosure, to me doesn't seem possible with anything other than Liquid Metal, the shape and fitment of the part is far too complex to be a machined part.

I know we've been hearing the Liquid Metal cries for 4 years now, but I truly think that this year might actually be the time. And since they aren't making the entire enclosure out of liquid metal, only the top and bottom edges, it seems very feasible that they could manufacture the material at scale for just this small part.

So quite the contrary. Jony Ive didn't get hit in the head, he's arguably doing some of the most sophisticated work of his entire career (also see the Mac Pro). The mechanical engineering of this part, the way the top and bottom edges attach to the enclosure, is incredibly sophisticated. I know most people in the Apple rumor community aren't engineers and don't understand what they're looking at when they see leaked diagrams, but I work in Sheetmetal and can somewhat interpret drawings, so this is just what I was able to gather from the leaked CAD drawings so far.

I guarantee this, when the real phone comes out, and we get to see the final product and hear the design story behind it, a lot of you all criticizing now are going to swallow your words. You can't get a true appreciation for something until you see it all come together. Bookmark this post and come see if I'm correct in September. And if anyone is curious which CAD drawing I'm referring to that shows to me that there are liquid metal components, I can post it.

I believe you :) apple hasn't made bad design for years doubt they will start now. Apple benefits from these leaks though, maybe Samsung will interpret it wrong and make their next phone with ugly ribbons

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
Please make the logo glow *crosses fingers*

Please don't let the logo glow *crosses fingers*

EDIT: I wasn't trying to be sarcastic to you. I don't like the "glow" logo, and I am expressing my opinion. I respect yours, and I am not trying to offend you.

Last edited:

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
But I became so attached to the way true tone flash looks... I dont want to see that go a way its to awesome to go away.

Ur attached to the shape? I don't get it. Obviously they figured out a way to make a better flash without a pill shaped true tone. Who cares what it looks like as long as it's better, right?

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I'm all for iPhone rumors, but isn't this like the 10th identical design that's made front page news? We all assume at this point the final design will look like this, and we still don't know if this particular incarnation is a genuine part.

I was just gonna say: we can reliably assume now that the iPhone 6 will look like this.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
My guess is that Apple will not limit its sales potential by repeating the 5s/5c experiment. I still believe the 5c was a failure, not as a device, but as a marketing strategy.
The 5c sells, why is it a failure?

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
No way Jony Ive approved this design of the back. The antenna straps are ugly. They dont seems natural so I think its more of a mockup rather than a real unit.

teme

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
The antenna straps are pretty ugly. I'm not a fan of 5S design (still using my 4S), and this is worse than that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.