Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jul 20, 2011
If it has the same feel as the iPad Air 2 than the motto is: "Feel the music in your hand - vibrating like never before." or "Watch your iphone, jumping from a table to the deepest depth - while listening to AC/DC"

greytux

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2014
To my untrained eye it looks obviously doctored.
Note the odd blurring and inconsistency of the Apple logo shape. It looks like the backside of a
purple iPhone 6 case that has been photoshopped, not even convincingly.

Again, it looks like the interior of a purple iPhone 6 case that has been photoshopped to include all the inner details. If that is not enough consider this. The CNC milled interior is completely smooth with no toothpaths present. Even if it was 3D printed as a mockup, you would see the distinct texture of a 3D printed surface. The image has been virtually generated and placed in a setting to make it appear as if it were a physical object. Big red flag.

FAKE.

Also, if you look at the size of the current speaker assembly, there is no way to fit 4 of those inside the case. Especially at the top where they need space for the camera, ambient light sensor and facetime camera. And at the bottom for the taptic engine.

Another bad fake if you ask me.

khVovHB.jpg

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

pedrofan

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
It's FAKE, the Apple logo doesn´t have the original proportions.
If you look at the apple´s leaf it's too close to the apple compared to the original logo on my iPhone 6s

Reactions: FightTheFuture

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
If this is legit i'll skip this one...

actually looking at these images again some bits look super photoshopped to me. The bottom looks very fake and comped together in the last one. The hole where the apple logo is looks weird, the shadow on table looks like a photoshop overlay of a gradient rather than a shadow on the grain of the table. The first image the bottom again looks too shiny compared to the rest of the image. The purple colour in general looks nothing like any colours apple has ever made and i suspect it also to be fake based on the way the light doesn't affect the colour at all.

Last edited:

admob71

Suspended
Feb 13, 2014
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND.
Lol. You too will learn to accept change. Not sure how old you are but likely you're dealing with change at work, change in technology and so on. Get used to it man. There is plenty more change coming.
Man? Bit presumptious arnt we?
[doublepost=1464000348][/doublepost]
Can you please provide me a source for 99% of the world? I would love to read where you read this or how YOU know it's 99% of users use wired headphones.

Please answer the question this time, without trying to avoid actually making a credible statement or wiggling your way out of a statement by making some silly remark as you have in previous posts. Thanks.
I will, but at the same time can you provide links that show my figures are incorrect then. As you obviously think they are.. I await your response..

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
If it has the same feel as the iPad Air 2 than the motto is: "Feel the music in your hand - vibrating like never before." or "Watch your iphone, jumping from a table to the deepest depth - while listening to AC/DC"

Yup, should help Apple reduce that "3yr Device Life Expectancy" for the iPhone. Lot's of "refurbs" for India. ;)

Reactions: 0958400

wyarp

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Looks fake to me. And it doesn't match up with schematics, which usually turn out to be accurate.

In what world does it look fake? I'm always baffled when I see comments like this. By now you'd think we would be able to realise when leaks are patently real or not. Just because it's not what certain people want to believe or a final product people always jump 'fake'. Only to be proved wrong a few months later.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I have to eat a bit of crow because I was highly snarky and critical when I read Apple put 4 speakers in the iPP 9.7. My reasoning was that 4 tiny, close together speakers are more of a marketing gimmick as they are too small to provide quality and too close together to produce a stereo effect.

Well I bought an iPP last week and I was quite amazed at the increased clarity and volume compared to my iPad Air 2. Whatever combination of secret sauce Apple used the iPP sound is vastly improved. Which brings me to the iPhone. My iPhone 6 speaker is horrendous. I mostly talk via speakerphone but the speaker quality is so horrendous sometimes I wonder if I'm talking to a colony of honey bees.

So while I start jamming out with my iPhone, I would greatly appreciate a sound quality boost similar to what the iPP 9.7 has. But I wouldn't consider this a new feature as much as a bug fix - no pun intended.

Reactions: BlueCreek

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Now is the time we should start seeing some credible leaks. Remember, with the exception of the misplaced iPhone 4 leaks have long been in Apple's strategy to generate coverage and momentum.

I'm calling legit on this.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Oh great now we are all going to hear everybody's phone calls from the top and bottom on speakerphone some people don't know when to take their calls off speakerphone like I really want to hear your personal business.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
If they ditch the 3.5mm jack then I will expect a free adapter (not £25.00) for my upgrade to iPhone 7 in September.
To be used with my 10 year old lifetime guarantee 3.5mm Koss Porta Pro's
I will also seriously worry about the hundreds of millions (billions?) of 3.5mm headphones in circulation that apple will be alienating their owners from buying an iPhone 7.

I am certain they will include one!!!!
Apple is CONSIDERABLY more concerned about alienating customers than you & I are.
(also, good on ya for rocking Porta Pros!!! a little gem known to soundhounds everywhere!!! better bass than a $200 pair of Beats, in the "world's BEST sub $50 headphone"! again.... I applaud your taste)

Reactions: deany

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Like other posters I find it funny (and sad at the same time) how some people are ready to hang themselves, because the next iPhone doesn't have this or that and OMG antenna bands and protruding lens.

There seems to be no thinking going on.

1) It's a rumor
2) It's a rumor
3) It's a rumor

Wondering how many of of those complaining put a case on their phone and just the knowledge that this questionable design flaw is lurking under their case causes anxiety attacks and sleepless nights.

If Apple drops the headphone jack there isn't a thing one can do, but adjust and make it work for your setup.

Let's also be clear that the multiple functions of ALL amazing smartphones were never intended for audiophiles.

Very few people can tell the differences between all the mp3 versions , FLAC etc., and most available earphones are good enough to listen to for the average crowd.

I hook up my iPhone to the AUX port in my car, so maybe there will be an adapter. If not, I am pretty sure I'll find a way to use my iPhone audio in my car hands free.
When there was no AUX in older cars, I would use a cassette tape adapter, which was just fine.

All in all instead of getting their panties in a twist about rumors figure out what you need and want and buy whatever is closest to those needs. That may be an Android product or the next iPhone.

Currently on a 6S Plus and loving it. If history repeats itself (coming from a 4S) I'll be getting the 8S Superplus.

By then I hope Apple has explored a way to just strap the iPhone as a band to my wrist or make the watch larger and independent from the iPhone.

Until then everybody breathe slowly into a paper bag. It helps I hear:)

demodave

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
The headphone jack is not an outdated form of storage, so your comparison does not fly.

Apple has introduced, advance, and/or removed all sorts of interface ports through the years. Comparing that to the elimination of CD ROMs is totally legit. The 3.5 mm headphone jack may not be outdated *yet* but most technology has a lifespan. This may be the time for the beginning of the end of the 3.5 mm jack.

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Also, if you look at the size of the current speaker assembly, there is no way to fit 4 of those inside the case. Especially at the top where they need space for the camera, ambient light sensor and facetime camera. And at the bottom for the taptic engine.

Another bad fake if you ask me.

khVovHB.jpg
All those tiny little screws inside. Not so much industrial design going on here.
These must be the parts assembled by the offshore workers.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Perhaps Apple's thinking is it will give will four speakers to anything that rotates.. The circle is just about complete..

Apple has introduced, advance, and/or removed all sorts of interface ports through the years. Comparing that to the elimination of CD ROMs is totally legit. The 3.5 mm headphone jack may not be outdated *yet* but most technology has a lifespan. This may be the time for the beginning of the end of the 3.5 mm jack.

Ya, but Apple thinks in limited.

They want u to always listen to music on *their* device only. as the only reason for this.... You can call it a better audio experience all u like, and it probably is a better experience, *but* u will need listen on an Apple device only..

If they to remove the headphone jack. its just due to keep u in.... YOu bought their phone after all,, why should they want u to use someone else's ?

They could release adapters, but i also am now thinking, they don't have to for the eco-system point of view.

All of this Apple does always seems to come back to the eco-system...

Last edited:

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
More via 9to5:
Holy shiitake mushroom, that camera is about to burst, those antenna lines are awful!

iphone-7-protruding-camera1.jpg

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA

3.5 mm jack is proven "technology" that has been around for over 60 years or so and with roots back to the late 1800's. That is alot of 3.5 mm headphones and aux cables in existence. Why change the universal standard ? We all know the saying about fixing something that isn't broke. Imagine if Apple designed houses. They'd somehow make our electrical outlets obsolete.

Reactions: navaira

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
By all accounts it's better. I mean why would Apple replace it with an inferior solution?

Ummmm,
  • Use ubiquitous 3.5mm jack that probably has little-to-no patent licensing fees attached to it and Apple makes no profit on it
  • Use proprietary, heavily patented Lightning jack and Apple gets paid for every single license for adapters, new headphones and accessory hardware, terminating in Lightning. Very profitable.
Your logic is fine but you are applying it like the only thing Apple cares about is consumer benefit. Apple cares more about maximizing profits- as any business should- so when they are doing something at which even some of the most faithful & fanatic here vent some concern, all one has to do most of the time is to ask themselves: "is there more money for Apple in this change?" and you probably find the main driver of the decision.

However, that written, "inferior" would need definition, as it is quite subjective. I'm confident that Lightning can push a digital signal out of the phone that is identical to the digital signal that arrives at the DAC that converts it to analog for a 3.5mm jack to play it for our ears. So if "inferior" is a pure measure of digital audio quality, I'd guess that either option is identical.

Make the adapter or new headphones have the identical DAC that is doing the same job inside the iPhone and the analog conversion should be the same. If the headphone speakers are identical to 3.5mm headphone equivalents, no ears should be able to hear any difference in quality at all. If the DAC is doing a superior job to the one inside the iPhone and/or if the Lightning headphones have better-quality speakers, some ears might be able to hear better quality music via this "new" option.

On the other hand, I suspect much of the perceived pain is the inconvenience of fixing(?) a problem that no one seems to have. This will result in fragmentation vs. a thoroughly ubiquitous standard that works anywhere on the planet in about anything to which you can plug in headphones. I just flew Delta and was on one of their newest planes. They had nice, large screen video screens in the headrests of every seat. It had 2 jacks: standard USB and 3.5mm. I was able to unplug my 3.5mm headphones from my iDevice and plug them right into that standard hole to watch the big game from 30,000 feet. Apple makes this change and either the iDevice will have to add a "tail" (an adapter, to keep using the 3.5mm headphones we already have) or those who embrace Lightning-terminated headphones have to carry an adapter to be able to use them in every other kind of audio device- like that Delta screen- when they too want to watch the big game at 30,000 feet. No way around that.

But, but, but... Samsung and others will bail on 3.5mm too. Yes, they may. But it's already common knowledge-likely that they'll go to the much cheaper, not-owned-and-controlled-by-a-single-corporation standard called USB3. So if a Delta or all of the AV equipment manufacturers, cars, etc are going to replace 3.5mm and/or add an additional jack, what is it likely to be: proprietary and more expensive Lightning or public and much cheaper USB3?

There is no way to resolve this issue. It yields adapters, adapters, adapters for anyone who ever wants to use 1 set of headphones with anything outside of Apple iDevices. You can't "solve" this problem by adopting Lightning-terminated headphones because that just reverses the connection problem and begs for adapters for those Delta screens, any other AV equipment or even the Macs we already own. You can try to go "the future" (Bluetooth wireless) but it is hardly ubiquitous (try making a Bluetooth connection to that Delta screen) and it has a slew of audio quality problems itself.

If this decision is not about leveraging proprietary & patents for more profits but actually about Apple wanting to deliver higher quality audio to our ears, the simplest solution would have been to build a higher quality DAC inside the new iPhone. Whether inside or in an adapter or headphones outside, the digital audio must be converted to analog for our ears to hear the music. And any phone must have a DAC inside anyway to work as a phone. So since every iPhone is going to have to have a DAC anyway, why not build a better one inside to kill 2 or maybe 3 birds with one stone? Which is more profitable: build a better quality DAC inside every phone you sell or shift the problem to a third party accessory outside the phone even though that means buying a duplication of technology (a second DAC) to do the same job there?

I have seen so many of us griping about protruding camera lenses- even calling it a "wart" on the iPhone. Now many iPhones in the wild will have to have a "tail" hanging out of the bottom of them... except for those who pay up for a second set of headphones to lug around; else, their Macs and anything else to which they want to connect their Lightning headphones will need a "tail" hanging out of them. For what consumer gain exactly? What is in this for us?

The "the future" and/or "antiquated" arguments are weak. Battery technology is much older than the 3.5mm jack. Shall Apple eject the battery next because it's "an antiquated technology"? Then we can all spin it as "buy your battery in an external battery pack" to rationalize that "the future" too. And guess what: camera technology is older than 3.5mm too. So shall the camera get ejected to a separate accessory too? In short, marginalize this away so easily and eventually you will be laying out your $1000 for an empty box from Apple. Yes, that will be the "thinnest & lightest" iPhone(?) Apple can possibly deliver... and immensely profitable when you then have to buy the various parts as adapters to hook together to end up with what an iPhone used to deliver inside the box. Apparently, if we can just spin "the future" enough, ejecting common utility so we can buy that same utility in adapters and accessories (sold separately of course) is a fundamental component to this "the future" that we apparently all want. :rolleyes: Plus, even though it would mean that many will likely have to carry separate stuff- adapters and/or a second set of headphones- we won't hold that added weight against Apple's "lightest" claim, nor add in the thickness of those adapters or added headphones against the "thinner" claim. Instead, we so love the Apple, that they can actually kick utility out of their products and we'll just roll with it... and pay extra for it. Also :rolleyes:

Lastly: to those who believe that is Apple forcing (a better) change upon us for our own good, because (apparently) we are too stupid to migrate to genuinely better without a corporation forcing us there:rolleyes:, there is ALREADY Lightning-terminated headphones available and there is ALREADY Bluetooth wireless headphones available. It's not necessary to kill 3.5mm if either of those are actually better. Either "the future" option for anyone dying to embrace a change from the "antiquated" can already make that change. And if their ears get to hear something superior to the dummies still clinging to "antiquated", then just walk around smugly appreciating the superior decision to embrace "the future" before it had to be forced upon the ignorant lemmings. Of course, one must ask themselves: if it is tangibly better than 3.5mm, why hasn't the masses already jumped all over it? Rhetorical: apparently the only way the masses can embrace genuinely "better" is for a corporation to decide to force that change- apparently, we're all too stupid to be able to use our ears to actually hear better... and move accordingly.

Last edited:
Reactions: navaira

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
Lots of speculation and assumptions of self-assured certainty, and yet what is really hilarious is that NONE OF US know.

Kiwikat88

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2015
Texas
what is not quality? You can be sure my Sony studio reference headphone is more quality than some Beats ****, ... or other lightning fluff with cheap D/A converter in the headphone, ...

You do realize that there are some darn good headphones that come with D/A converters now? They'd probably surprise you.

Yes but one is the best you can get at that technology, decades yes? And the other just a testing the market product. Lets see how much better can be in the next 0 years the lightning one

D/A converters have been around for decades. Lightning isn't going to magically change how that works. I have no reason to believe that cheap lightning-terminated headphones with cheap DACs will sound any better than the onboard DAC already on the iPhone.

By all accounts it's better. I mean why would Apple replace it with an inferior solution?

This isn't really how you make an argument...

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I'm due an upgrade in Sept '16 (24 months).
I'd be interested in knowing who upgradeS every year. Now the mobile network operators tend to do 24 month contracts.
Unless you go the SIMO, buy outright sell on eBay route, which can work out a LOT cheaper.
I upgrade every year. Basically I upgrade my phone, pass my 1 year old phone to my wife, who passes her two year old phone to my daughter, who passes her three year old phone to her grandmother. Not sure who she passes on to. Using this method we only upgrade 1 phone each year but keep 4 people happy. Works well!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.