Alleged Photos of Apple's New Dock Connector

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 10, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

French site Nowherelse.fr is continuing its string of parts leaks surrounding the next iPhone, sharing photos [Google translation] of what it has been told is the dock connector for the cable to be paired with the next-generation iPhone. The connector portion of the cable is shown next to the USB end of the cable, giving an idea of the size of the new connector.

[​IMG]

The site notes that it can not confirm the validity of the images, but they do appear to show some features that could be consistent with what has been claimed about the new smaller dock connector. The connector shown in the images is considerably smaller that the existing dock connector, and the metal insertion piece appears to have 8 gold pins for making contact inside the corresponding port on the device. The insertion piece also appears as if it could be inserted into the iPhone in either orientation, as has been rumored.

[​IMG]

Nowhereelse.fr had a poor track record of leaks leading up to the launch of the original iPad, but has been relatively quiet until earlier this month when it began sharing photos of next-generation iPhone parts. Those leaks are believed to be legitimate, as they are originating from Asian websites and are consistent with other leaks seen to date.

Update: Kyle Wiens of iFixit tells us the metal frame counts as a grounding pin, which means it's effectively a 9-pin connector. There has been some debate about it being an 8-pin vs 9-pin port, and this could reconcile those different claims.

Article Link: Alleged Photos of Apple's New Dock Connector

2. macrumors member

wow

that looks pretty but fragile?

3. arian19, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012

macrumors 6502

doubling down on secrecy, lol pathetic

4. macrumors member

Sure. Why not. Better than a magsafe, imo.

5. macrumors 6502a

Mmmm, exposed metal strips, nice and damageable...

6. macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Reminds me of the MacBook Air USB thumb drive:

[​IMG]

7. macrumors 65816

striker33

But will it blend?

8. macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Things are getting exciting! I love this time of year. :apple:

9. macrumors regular

So, can we expect a USB 3.0 connection or a Thunderbolt one?
    I'd love to connect my iPhone 5 via Thunderbolt and have almost instant backups and syncs.

10. macrumors newbie

Why not just use Thunderbolt for everything now?

11. macrumors 6502a

I can't wait to diddle with that little man in boat.

12. macrumors 6502

If Apple's version of secrecy were a safe, it would be locked with a piece of duct tape.

13. macrumors 65816

striker33

The only realistic scenarios where damaging the ends of that connector become possible are usually a result of the user's error anyway.

People with common sense will be fine as always.

14. macrumors member

A thunderbolt port would be to thick for an iPhone, well atleast on the current generation

15. rh1
    macrumors member

Looks as good as legit to me. But then I guess many are still waiting to hear the compelling features behind the change of dock connector. :)
    This will make sure keep Apple racking £15 on those Apple Dock Connector to USB Cables :)

16. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

We're only missing the screen and PCB now essentially.

17. macrumors 6502

And queue the "OMG I have so many cables I don't want it to change" freakout, right... about....

Now.

18. macrumors 65816

I'll wait and see on the robustness. As has been noted, it could have problems, but it might be OK.

Loving the idea of it inserting either way. That is one of the best things about Magsafe.

19. macrumors regular

man, Apple parts are leaking left and right. what's up with that? I want to keep the element of the surprise! :rolleyes:

20. macrumors 6502a

Yup, I do hope they give us a longer charging lead, the one they supply is never quite long enough...

21. Moonjumper, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012

macrumors 65816

Hopefully there will be options to connect with either.

22. macrumors 68040

dontwalkhand

I was hoping for a MagSafe style connector, though I guess people don't lay their phones charging around like they do laptops.

23. macrumors member

There will probably be an adapter from the 30 pin to whatever the smaller one might be, if there really is a smaller one

24. macrumors 68020

it happens ever year tho..

25. macrumors G3

NT1440

Any more fragile than a standard microUSB connection? (I hate how many of those break from just plugging in a device normally over time)