Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
We're only missing the screen and PCB now essentially.

That's Monday and Wednesday next week. :D

God knows (if this is all true) how Tim is going to present this new phone on stage, knowing full well, everyone in the audience has already seen all there is to see, apart from just a few specs and software features.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
This has been pointed out before, but just to be safe, there is no point in a MagSafe connector on a device like a mobile phone. The purpose of the MagSafe was to avoid tripping over the cable and pulling the large expensive device along for the ride to the ground. The reason it won't work is that mobile phones aren't heavy enough to disconnect if you trip over the cable (and the cables are shorter anyway).

There is also the concern of interrupted data transfers, but personally that seems like a ridiculous reason to me as my phone (or even my flash drives) don't go too crazy if I unplug them mid transfer.

That's a great benefit of magsafe on a heavier device, but I am still hoping it comes to the iOS devices because it makes inserting the cable so darn easy, and a one-handed operation (think trying to plug a phone in while driving a car...)

The Lion USB key has exposed contacts.

Those contacts are not exposed while being plugged into a live power source, however.

TimTheEnchanter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN

Attachments

• iPhone5-SCSI.jpg
    iPhone5-SCSI.jpg
    618.5 KB · Views: 406

prezasti

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
The only issue I see with this is, if you look at the adapter from the top down, it doesn't look like its the correct shape to fit in the phone. It looks more squared off at the ends and not rounded. Wouldn't the phone case have more of a rectangular opening than a partly oval opening if this was truly the correct adapter for the phone?

nowhereelse_mini_dock_connector_2.jpg

iphone_5_dock_ring.jpg

prezasti

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
Sure, because if you trip over a charging cable that's charging an iphone, the sheer weight of the iphone will allow the cable to be pulled out before flinging the phone to the floor.

Just because the original intended use of the MagSafe cable was to avoid damage of the computer and cable if tripped over, doesn't mean it wouldn't make for a great phone cable that you barely have to line up to plug in or easy to disconnect when you are done charging or transferring data.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
The only issue I see with this is, if you look at the adapter from the top down, it doesn't look like its the correct shape to fit in the phone. It looks more squared off at the ends and not rounded. Wouldn't the phone case have more of a rectangular opening than a partly oval opening if this was truly the correct adapter for the phone?

The metal part on the cables can be narrower than the opening on the phone and that would would perfectly.

----------

I like the new smaller connector, I wonder if its USB 3.0.

Should be!

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
These are probably the most leaks we've ever had for an iPhone. More than the original iPhone 4. My guess is everything we are seeing now is EXACTLY what we're getting.

My question, how does it stay in? It looks like it's just a little slot. Maybe it'll be like an SD Card that locks in to place and you push in to release it.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
... Although I agree with your points, I think it could help thunderbolt adoption. Might be a risk worth taking to help ensure it becomes more of a standard than proprietary apple port. And with it being more of an 'intel' technology than an 'apple' technology, more and more manufactures could hop on board quicker than firewire or ilink.

So, you're willing to fork over an extra $50 for your next iPhone or iPod micro? Not me!

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
doubling up on security, lol pathetic

It's doubling down on secrecy, and the only thing pathetic here is for you, Tim Cook or anyone to be expecting this not to be leaking one month prior to launch.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
That's a great benefit of magsafe on a heavier device, but I am still hoping it comes to the iOS devices because it makes inserting the cable so darn easy, and a one-handed operation (think trying to plug a phone in while driving a car...)

Those contacts are not exposed while being plugged into a live power source, however.

There is no problem with exposed powered contacts on these devices since they are such low voltage. Have you ever replaced a button battery in a device? Did it electrocute you?

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
I know, right? Simply the most adorable little connector I've ever seen!

Even though it maybe doesn't look to be magsafe, just being reversible will make it a lot easier to insert.

8 gold pins + the outer metal surface will form a 9th ground pin. So it's a 9-pin connector.

Unless it's double-sided, can't really tell from the pictures.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
this site is truly showing its colors, and the posters as really showing their ineptness this time around.

See: every comment that mentions this connector and thunderbolt in the same sentence.

Look right here --> APPLE RECENTLY BEGAN SHIPPING MACS WITH USB 3.

And of course unlike other companies, Apple simply has "USB" ports, that support all spec.

iOS devices need to be connectable to all machines with USB 2, but should now begin to take advantage of USB 3 speeds as well, when available.

That's the end of the story. There is no need for Thunderbolt here, and never will be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.