Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BobZ521

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
I'm still wondering if the bands and camera ring aren't some effort to make it water resistant. Has there been any rumors of this being a possibility?

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Is it possible that these 'bands' on the rear will also protrude slightly to ensure that when you put the i6 down, you're actually resting it on the bands, rather than the rear of the actual phone?

The other 'bonus' in that scenario, is that the phone will lie flush and won't rock around the clock (camera!).

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
form over function,
Every time I have to reach to the back of my Mac Mini, to blindly plug in a USB cable or insert my SD card, I have this picture in my head of a plague hanging in Apple's labs that reads exactly that lol.

Seems to me schematics exaggerate the degree to which certain design elements are noticeable. Here's what the camera looks like on a 5th gen iPod touch. That device is 6.1mm thick. According to the leaked schematics the iPhone 6 is supposed to be 7mm thick. My guess is it will hardly be noticeable or if it is there is a reason for it which won't become clear until the phone is announced and Schiller is on stage talking about the upgraded camera.

From the iPod touch it doesn't look as bad. I do hope it serves a purpose other than making the phone thin. Optical stabilization would be nice, and if it shades the lens a bit, it wouldn't be bad either since glare is a big problem with phone cameras. Being able to use lens attachments would be cool too.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I don't have a lot of problems with a protruding camera, probably a new leather case from apple will make it flush anyway. But, protruding camera and those big ugly radio bands makes me feel that apple hasn't manage to fullfill their design perfectionism this time and had to make sacrifices beyond what I think of as "Apple". It will be hidden in a case anyhow - but usually an apple product is something you want to show off, not hide.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm still wondering if the bands and camera ring aren't some effort to make it water resistant. Has there been any rumors of this being a possibility?

Thing is there is no context around any of these leaks. It's like we're putting together a puzzle but don't have all the pieces. That's why it's hard for me to get worked up over leaks.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I don't have a lot of problems with a protruding camera, probably a new leather case from apple will make it flush anyway. But, protruding camera and those big ugly radio bands makes me feel that apple hasn't manage to fullfill their design perfectionism this time and had to make sacrifices beyond what I think of as "Apple". It will be hidden in a case anyhow - but usually an apple product is something you want to show off, not hide.

It will look good in person. It always does.

Anytime a new iPhone leaks before release, everybody whines about how ugly it is until they see it in person. Apple has never made an ugly iPhone.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
You guys made it through the 3G and 3GS just fine.

The wobble on this will be much less.

The wobble is one thing. Indeed I used my 3GS for three years and never did it bother me.

What would be important, though, is the scratch (and break) resistance. A friend of mine showed me his Nexus 5 and the camera was broken.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Is it possible that these 'bands' on the rear will also protrude slightly to ensure that when you put the i6 down, you're actually resting it on the bands, rather than the rear of the actual phone?

The other 'bonus' in that scenario, is that the phone will lie flush and won't rock around the clock (camera!).

that will be very nice

ElZeus

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
Most phone's will be used with a case so it won't really matter, but damn it just looks like a step back (even if it may not be a step back). I wonder if the 5.5 inch version will have the hump camera as well.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Most that are complaining about the "protruding" camera will more than likely, use a case on the phone and any form of case will eliminate this.

Don't worry about it, or don't get the phone.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i never used a case. but if its only 0.1mm like it is now with iphone 5s i have no problem at all...its almost flat

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
All of this whining over a lens protruding like .1mm? Really? :rolleyes:

Apple are THE premium electronics manufacturer - their specs are always below par but people pay for the design, construction and "experience". 0.1mm might not be much but then why not by another product from another manufacturer that's "good enough" for less money? People buy Apple because they expect more, they expect better, not "good enough".

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
From the iPod touch it doesn't look as bad. I do hope it serves a purpose other than making the phone thin. Optical stabilization would be nice, and if it shades the lens a bit, it wouldn't be bad either since glare is a big problem with phone cameras. Being able to use lens attachments would be cool too.

This is my point. The lens barely protrudes on the iPod touch and the Huawei Ascend P7 and both those devices are thinner than the rumored iPhone is supposed to be. My guess is either the schematic is exaggerating how noticeable the protrusion will be or there's another reason for it, like some of the things you suggested.

----------

Apple are THE premium electronics manufacturer - their specs are always below par but people pay for the design, construction and "experience". 0.1mm might not be much but then why not by another product from another manufacturer that's "good enough" for less money? People buy Apple because they expect more, they expect better, not "good enough".

How can we make any declarations on a phone that hasn't been announced yet?

iamgalt

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
IF the lens protrudes a fraction of a millimeter on the phone, I doubt that it'll bother me that much. However, I'm going to wait till September 9th to see if it actually is like that. I'm not going to trust an image that is a photograph of someones monitor showing a 3D model of an iPhone in SketchUp. Not exactly a reliable source if you ask me. I seriously doubt apple is going to use a program as simple as SketchUp to design something as complex as the iPhone.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Guys, let's all calm down. The ring is actually functional. The device is so thin, that if sitting flush on a table would be impossible to pick up without the added lift of the ring. Which - clearly - is magical.

Personally, I'd take a .6mm thicker device to eliminate the ring. But that's just me. Hard to believe that design aspect of the touch is living on in another device. Wow. And by "wow" I mean "dang ."

----------

I seriously doubt apple is going to use a program as simple as SketchUp to design something as complex as the iPhone.

They write their press releases in Maya.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
This is my point. The lens barely protrudes on the iPod touch and the Huawei Ascend P7 and both those devices are thinner than the rumored iPhone is supposed to be. My guess is either the schematic is exaggerating how noticeable the protrusion will be or there's another reason for it, like some of the things you suggested.

----------

How can we make any declarations on a phone that hasn't been announced yet?

Just because by this stage rumours generally seem to be pretty accurate - I remember saying the iPhone 5 design rumours were false because the camera didn't sit parallel to the corner radius like in the iPhone 4 and that it sat too far down in the glass panel rather than central - something Apple would "never do" in my own words. I was wrong. They are getting sloppier with their design so I expect this is real, thin is now more important than any other factor - I do hope any protruding lens is factored into measurements if that's the case otherwise it's a false measurement! :p

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
If it's "nothing" then why not leave the entire phone that wide and have a longer lasting battery?

Just because you can do something doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I love Apple and all, but are you actually suggesting a larger battery wouldn't be a good idea?

Good catch. This photo doesn't show the device raised off the surface at all.

gsmarena_002.jpg]Image

That's because the camera is on the other side of the device. Even if it was a fully assembled iPhone with the ring sticking out, looking at it from this angle will still have this side completely flat on the surface due to weight. The protruding ring doesn't make the phone levitate.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Maybe they will use same gyro they mount in 5s and that protrude camera, solves Apple's problem with gro problems - its simple you no longer can put your iP on flat surface to check how really flat it is :D its brilliant :|

they should make that phone thicker for that crazy 0.7mm, and put bigger battery, that would be much, much better for all of us

That's a point actually - this is gonna mean it no longer works as a spirit level on surfaces like tables and worktops. You'd have to use it on it's edge and rotate it.

Sorry but in this second image ...the iphone is completely flat
http://www.gsmarena.com/new_images_...sembled_iphone_6_will_look_like-news-9405.php

so one of these 2 rumours must be fake

Good catch. This photo doesn't show the device raised off the surface at all.

Because it's not fully assembled?

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV

Almost certainly, these are RF transparent "windows" in the case for antennas, though future generations might see these evolve into weatherproof seals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.