allocation overlap? cant read music cds...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pickleman, Mar 4, 2004.

1. pickleman macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,
    I haven't been able to use music cds on my powermac g4 dual 1ghz w/ jaguar. It will mount all other types of cds, but any music cd jsut comes up with an error saying that theyre are no mountable volumes. Ive run techtool pro and symantech on it, and it said that the only problem was error -694, allocation overlap. Anyone know why this is happening and what i can do to fix it?

2. ASP272 macrumors 6502

ASP272

Hey Pickleman,
    I just got an error code -694 on one of my Macs at work. The hard drive problem could not be fixed by Tech Tool Pro or the Disk Utility. I am looking into getting this fixed myself and all I've found so far is recommendations to archive and reinstall, which I don't want to do. I'll keep looking and let you know what I find out.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

There is only 1 real way to fix an allocation overlap : reinstall. Basically files are stored in 1 or more allocations on the disk. Very occasionally something goes really wrong and 2 files end up in 1 allocation and get corrupted. Pretty annoying when it happens.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Had that happen recently, a partition suddenly decided it was as big as the entire drive.

Fubared 1 file which decided it was as big as the partition -- was the one file the drive utility said had the overlap.

Had to copy everything off the patition but that file, and re-format it, before moving everything back.

5. ASP272 macrumors 6502

ASP272

After reviewing all the tech support pages on allocation overlaps, I came up with the only option - reinstall as you both have said. It sucks! There is 27 GB of data I have to figure out how to archive before reinstalling. Our IT dept. won't give us enough space on the network drives, and we're the art department! Most of the files we work with are over 10mb. You'd think they would just throw in a 250 gb drive for us, but no! So now I am left to figure out an archive method without losing all this company data on my co-workers computer. Bummer! :mad:

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I just hit this error today, and of course Disk Utility won't fix it. Has anybody tried to clone the drive, reformat and clone it back? or will that just bring the bad file with it? is it dangerous to keep using the system with this type of error? can I just kill the bloody offending file? Thanks.