Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
I have used allofmp3 before and my biggest complaint was the lack of quantity of music. Being a European music site I can see why they can have such lower prices than U.S prices, but with that said, I found myself with an abundance of 80's music in front of me rather than a whole lot of new release material from a lot of different bands or groups.

garybUK

Original poster
Jun 3, 2002
Ive managed to download most of the latest albums like U2 - Atomic Bomb, The Killers - Hot Fuss, Scissor Sisters, Chemical Bro's - Push the Button, Keane - Hopes And Fears, Franz Ferdinand, Damian Price etc.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Chip NoVaMac said:
Sill leaves the legality of US users using the site in question.

Maybe, but isn't the RIAA going after the distributors, not the downloaders? That is to say, for example, they bust the people with 1000 songs in their shared folder in Kazaa, not the people downloading 1000 songs through Kazaa.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
decksnap said:
Maybe, but isn't the RIAA going after the distributors, not the downloaders? That is to say, for example, they bust the people with 1000 songs in their shared folder in Kazaa, not the people downloading 1000 songs through Kazaa.
Is that a legal hair you feel comfortable splitting?

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
i just dont undestand why people use this service... Better simply get the songs from the P2P network because in either case, the artists arent getting any money out of it!

So using this service is just a way to justify piracy. And its not really 'legal', its just using a loop hole in the legal system. You would be better simply downloading a iPod full of WMA from Napster, rip them in MP3 and use them on the iPod. Its still not moral but at least the artist are getting some cash and you arent giving your money to criminals*.

* Its not because they arent criminal in Russia that they arent considered so in the rest of the world...

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
The difference is that allofMP3 lets you download in any format you want, in any quality you want.

P2P just doesn't compare. I don't feel the need to justify anything, just stating the facts.

If you go for it, you go for it. Especially if it's legal.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Simple: They steal songs from the artists and copyright holders, and sell them to you. They can get away with it because they are based in a country with a loophole in copyright law that makes it -- not legal but unenforceable -- if they were burning the very same music to CD it would be criminal in Russia.

You as a consumer of the music want to hide behind an excuse that because 1) you paid a couple of pennies for them, and 2) the seller said it was OK, then I have some nice waterfront property in Oklahoma to talk to you about. It's perfectly legal, trust me, and the deeds are freshly printed, in any format you wish.

If the music is valuable enough to you to listen to, then it is valuable enough to pay the copyright owners for. Don't pretend otherwise.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Thanks for the speech- Until someone proves that it is illegal, I will continue to use this service with no guilt. I am free to do as I wish within the law, thank you very much, loophole or not. Who's fault is that? Not mine.

If I want to support a band I will buy their concert ticket, where a much larger portion of the money goes to the artist.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
This site is sweet. Thank you for showing it to me. Apple iTMS is great, but it sucks because all they offer is 128kb AAC. This site offers up to 320kbps AAC, Lossless, MP3, everything you can think of!

garybUK

Original poster
Jun 3, 2002
I agree with decksnap, over here in the UK we have always been ripped off by the record companies they are definately in a price fix.. .specially when i can pop to fnac in france / belgium and get a UK album for less than in HMV!!!!!!!!!!!! im sick of these artists thinking they are above the law/society because they have money from being manufactured by a moron in a leather chair!

Granted I do like songs they produce but if I really like them then yeah I will go and buy their CD and or concert tickets.

Apple are as guilty as the record companies at this, they are ripping the uk off with their itms store prices and not allowing us to purchase them from the mainland Europe becuase its cheaper!! cmon!

viva allofmp3.com! and by the way allofmp3.com do contribute the copyrite and therefore the artists, just not as much as the artists would like!

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
Loopholes or not, the site is fugly. It has the aesthetic warmth of a corporate intranet site.

From a cost-saving perspective, if I wanted even cheaper music I would borrow it from mates and copy it and not tell anyone. Which I never do. So for me it's never been about how cheap I can get my music; it's the complete package, and iTMS offers more.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Its probably going to be the way that the music downloads will head in the future or at least eventually. The price will go up to pay the performers and technicians but the economy of the business will change. Right now its Russia. How many small countries out there are there where half of AllofMP3s business would represent a sizeable chunk of the GDP? How many of these countries have no copyright laws because they never needed them?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I guess for us USA residents, the question is one of the legality of going through the internet and purchasing "legally" (admittedly through a loophole at this time). Morally we have to answer that question on our won.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.