ALLOFMP3.com

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MacConvert2008, Feb 15, 2005.

1. MacConvert2008 macrumors newbie

www.allofmp3.com
    I was wondering if any of you knew about this music service. A couple guys in my dorm have started using it, and absolutely love it. They get download speeds of 300k or better, and pay pennies per song. It's based out of Russia, but there is a windows client in english. I'm asking if A) it's legal, B) it could work on a mac, and C) if anyone has tried it. Thanks!

2. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

It could be legal. (Don't konw)

You'll have to find a Mac client.

I don't know if this is Spam.

3. MacConvert2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

nah it's not spam... i'm just kinda paranoid about dowloading music in my dorm... big brother ARG!

4. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

I don't think we are aloud to talk about this on this site (legal reasons). But who knows. :cool:

In the end the Doctor will decide. Q that is. ;)

5. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

isnt it all website-based? i dont think you need a specific 'client' to get it to run... its kinda shady in the legal department, but ive read that they actually pay the artists or whatever...

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

No, it's not legal in the U.S.

Artists don't get royalties for the music. You're just paying pirates in Russia for stolen music.

7. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I don't think its legal...

... 1st of all, it kind of seems like the type of password/credit card stealing website. I don't know if this is fact or not.

... 2nd, I really do not think that $0.2 is going to stop the RIAA... do American artists get the money? or the service? And what would justify if they did say that the money goes to US Artists? "We donate $0.00000043 to the artists and $0.000000003 to buying new music, and the rest to pay for AllOfMp3.com's high prices to keep running each month"

But, I may be wrong... just my $0.02 - with that you can buy a song!!

8. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Exactly.

9. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

I think they came out with a mac client that is similar to a download mananger but Safari or any other browser works just fine. It used to be $.01 per MB but they raised it to $.02 recently.
    I'd say its semi-legal but there is no way you would get in trouble.

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Its perfectly legal in Russia and in many other countries the trickiest position is the US although its probably legal there.
    Read link for more info.
    http://www.museekster.com/allofmp3faq.htm

11. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

Yeah, i use it. I was a bit weary about using a russian site at first, but it is great. You go through a european intermediary to charge the money to your account and it is completely secure.

They have a huge selection. I listen to a lot of indie music from both the US and Britain and have had no trouble finding the music that i want. There are only a few bands that i couldn't find on there, but then again i can't find them anywhere online.

The selection is at least as good as iTunes if not better. The US iTunes store only has a small selection of British indie music, but the British iTunes store has tons. With this site i can get it all.

The download speeds are great and the site works great with Safari. I just download the songs straight from the site, but there is a Mac client called ThreeTen that you can probably find on Version Tracker.

You can download the songs in almost any format you want at most every bit rate. The rates are 0.02$ per Mb, which means most albums are going to cost you about $1-$1.5 encoded in AAC at 196kpbs.

I have used iTunes and another russian site called mp3.ru or something like that and this is by far the best service both in price and selection around.

As far as i am concerned, it is legal. It is a Russian site and it plays by Russian copyright laws. There is an FAQ on the site about its legality. I am conforatble using it, and while i can understand some not being comfortable about it, it is up to you in the end. There is a difference between this site being legal and it being moral according to the rate structure imposed on us by the riaa.

12. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

Damn, i think someone must have got on my computer and posted that last message. If anyone from the RIAA has so little to do that they are surfing this site looking for people that have gotten around paying too much money for music, i have no idea what the above post was talking about. I dutifully pay the full overblown price for all of my music and never allow my friends to copy CDs nor do i ever copy CDs from them. :)

13. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I think the best indicator of the R**A is they haven't sued anybody yet,I would guess the legality is far from clear cut.

14. MacConvert2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah

Yeah actually I was just reading an article from mac news world regarding it, and it seems like the whole thing is up in the air. They've compared buying american music overseas to purchasing american books from Amazon.uk to save a buck or two. It's a stretch, but it's food for thought. :) The article is worth a read, btw.