Alloy slipcase for MBP (17")?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sesshi, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

2. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Gosh I hope so. I must admit I considered making my own aluminium case at one stage. That shouldn't be too hard to do, as long as you have access to the right equipment. Then comes the issue of welding aluminium...

An aluminium sleeve with rubber internal lining. Perfect for making MBP's almost indestructible.

3. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

I was thinking almost about a 'use-in' sleeve. Would dissipate heat and also be protective. Putting rubber in it except perhaps for the corners would probably not be a good idea when it's switched on... Not unless you want it running out in a goo :D

4. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

OK, Let's not give up hope. All we need is some funky hinge designs.
    Perhaps you could also use a honeycomb construction in the aluminium to help dissipate heat from the MBP?

And of course then we need a way to keep the MBP IN the sleeve. Would anybody know if you can get a magnet to stick to the MBP? Hopefully there is some ferrous material in there somewhere...

Little cutouts where the air inlets and outlets are, and you are set! Whether you'd be the envy or laughing stock of your friends I don't know however.

Still say best bet would be to make it yourself. I'm lucky, because I do Engineering at uni, I have access to workshops with guillotines and folders. Would you have access to any of this? If not you could get someone to do it for you.

If you have no intention of making this yourself, I don't see how you could get one, and can offer no help.

5. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Actually yes I could make it but I cannot be bothered. It's surprising with the amount of time that the Powerbooks have been out that no-ones come up with one. I did expect something to be out.

6. Collin973 macrumors 6502

I don't know if you could use magnets to secure it. The would have to be powerful enough to hold 5.4 pounds, but not strong enough to mess with the HDD or other components. I think you'd need a super "tacky" material that was non-slip and not stick that could hold it in just by the normal force of the MBP. Or maybe you could use the lock slot on the side??

7. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

eh? I was asking about a slipcase. Apart from some rubber strips around the edges you wouldn't need anything.

8. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Surely if you lift the lid of the case you want the screen of MBP to come up as well? (I only hope I know what you want)
    I did think of tacky stuff, but what could you use that would survive for many years without depositing exotic chemicals on the pristine surface of your beautiful MBP?

To Sesshi, you don't know what you want. I know more about what you want than you do, so pipe down! :p You don't want just a slipcase. You want an uber super duper carbon fibre reinforced aluminium coated bulletproof watertight shell that folds open, and dissipates heat, keeping your beloved MBP at sub-antarctic temperatures.

Yes I'd forgotten about the locking port/slot thing.

Well, it seems to me that there isn't much point in this thread being active anymore, as no-one knows of the existence of what the OP wants.

Good luck with whatever happens.

9. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

A case for the case. The similar sort of clamshell design. A non-use-in version would be just two halves of rolled/pressed alloy. A use-in version could have to be more complex. I'd like a non-use-in version to start with. You know, a slipcase but not cloth or rubber. Alloy.