Allstate and VW ads too violent

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jcarm24, Apr 18, 2006.

1. jcarm24 macrumors regular

jcarm24

I have been noticing a trend in recent car related commercials, Allstate Insurance and VW in particular. They seem to be showing car accidents in a far more violent manner. I just saw one where two guys are talking and they slam into the back of a truck. Airbags deployed, the two guys slammed their heads into them. Very graphic in my opinion, almost too much for a commercial in my mind.

Now I know commercials are made so the watching audience will remember it, and i know there's much worse I tv that I could be complaining about. But since this seems like a recent phenomenon in the advertising industry, I was wondering if anyone else has noticed the trend as well.

2. Squareball macrumors regular

Yes and these ads freak me out every time I see them.

They are just like the Alias episode where they get hit.. I hate that camera view of an incoming T-Bone.

I really dislike these commercials a lot and hope this trend doesn't catch on any more than it already has.

3. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

I've noticed them, but feel that there is nothing wrong with them. It's not like they are playing them on kiddie shows. I saw the VW one last night during 24, and a couple of minutes ago on house. not kid shows. show me one on nick jr. or something and then i will want them pulled.

4. jcarm24 thread starter macrumors regular

jcarm24

Good point. I saw the VW ad tonight during Law and Order, not Power Rangers. But I'm 23 yrs old and I get a little freaked by these ads. Maybe I have a weak stomach.

5. Stinkythe1 macrumors regular

6. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

I think they are good commercials. You remember the product. You get the idea. It's life, deal with it.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I think they are right on point....u think it will be all flowers n cookies when u crash...it real.

there point is coming across

Bless

8. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

IMO they are great commercials because they certainly get my attention and bring in a real world perspective which is sometimes overlooked.

I like seeing how well a Jetta can with stand a wreck as that is something I can tangibly see and have proven to me.

If someone thinks this is too much for televison, please get a life, its 2006. ;)

9. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

They show you what really happens.

Do you really want a commercial where they get into an accident and flowers come out of the car and then my little pony comes down to heal everyone?

The world is not a pleasant place.

And remember to never watch a Stallone movie, like Cobra

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

If you talking about it after its done, it was a good ad

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Hey Cobra was cool:cool: ....well at least his car was.

Bless

12. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

"you know thats bad for your health." - Stallone

"What is" - Punk

"I am" *rips shirt off of person* - Stallone

God do i love having random stallone nights, van dam nights, arnold nights

13. jcarm24 thread starter macrumors regular

jcarm24

Actually, I would. But it would be better if the little pony shoots out their butts. I'd bet you all would remember that commercial too.

14. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

i saw those VW ads over and over tonight during House. I hadn't seen any before, so i wasn't really paying attention and when the truck pulled out and they hit it scared the crap out of me... haha. I really wasn't paying much attention so that sudden noise was just "woah" for the lack of better term :rolleyes:

I don't know if it's really that they are too violent, more they are just trying to prove the point that an accident can happen anywhere, anytime, and you are not going to know when that is. I mean look you aren't going to hit a car and have it be like pushing 2 marshmallows next to one another, it's going to be violent. Scare tactics are good forms of selling insurance ;)

I don't really mind them too much, it's just man that VW ad first scared the hell out of me :)

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Man that guy sucks...i love the movie when his master got him drunk and he TRIED to dance....funny s%$t.

Bless

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

[German accent]GW on the V tip.... in the house yall[/German accent]

Bless

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Are you talking about the VW Unpimp My Ride commercials? Those aren't violent, they're ****ing funny :D

18. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

No, the VW people talking about a movie and then getting sideswiped commercial. Funny it should come up, because earlier today I was telling my wife what a good commercial I thought it was. Very powerful and compelling - makes you appreciate a car with a good safety rating.

19. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Sorry, too violent? I suppose the cartoons with the coyote and roadrunner were too violent as well?

These commercials are tapping into realism. I want to know when I buy a car that it WILL protect me, not just hope that it will.

These commercials are needed. Along with stiff penalties for those who don't have car insurance, and drunk drivers, who cause accidents.

20. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

agreed.

and children know that cars wreck from time to time as well. maybe it will make them want to wear their seat belts? be more safe? The commercials work.

21. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Right now they are airing a bunch of commercials against drunk driving. IMHO they are the best commercials currently on TV.

For example one of them is just a guy walking down the street when all of sudden he is slammed by a car, flies 20 feet in the air and hits the payment. It is very very graphic but it gets the point across. It's scary.

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Maybe it's because it's realistic and unexpected that I don't mind them. Maybe I'm just desensitized. Maybe I'm just sick of the non-realistic stuff.

23. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

there's nothing i hate more then people who think every little thing is going too far and every thing needs to be pulled, or censored etc...

it's a fricken commercial, get over it. :rolleyes:

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, it's better than them softening the result. When you watch something that's softened up, it'll have little impact on the individual. It may not even register in the minds of the viewers. Make it look real enough, and people will sympathise and understand the problem.

Oh, and the very fact that some people are so freaked out because it looks realistic just goes to show you that people don't know what a "real" accident looks like anymore. They're too used to the really fake looking ones. Kind of sad.

25. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If it makes people who run red lights, etc. more cautious, all the better. The ads couldn't be too violent for anyone who has lost a relative or friend, due to a reckless driver.