Almost 2 week old Ibook: Loud HDD noise, normal?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by envayed, Sep 6, 2005.

1. envayed macrumors newbie

As the tittle says, I have just recently purchased the new iBook G4 12" 1.33 GHz. I didn't really notice this until now, and I just need to make sure it's not my mind that is playing tricks on me. Is it normal for the laptop's HDD to be making noises ( clicking and such) with simple operations such as opening the browser? Sometimes it makes these noises when I'm not even doing anything. My time to return for a brand-new exchange is almost up, so I don't want to stuck with a defective product.

2. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I've had mine for 11 days now... so hopefully mine wont go the same way.

However, if it's clicking then that can't be healthy! If you live near an apple store, get them to check it out.

3. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

My iBook always makes hard drive noise when you are typing on the keyboard. For example close all windows and click on the desktop, lift up the ibook and press and hold one of the arrow keys. Listen to the noise the drive makes, then leave the key go and it will make another noise. This really worries me but it is normal for iBooks. Unfortunately...

I don't see how the battery life can be really great if the hard drive keeps spinning up every time you press a key...

4. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Almost all notebook computers make some noise when their HDs are being accessed by OS. I have not heard any loud noise from my new iBook so far. I kept this thing on last night in the very quiet hotel room (I am on business travel). On the contrary, my Dell X200 is making HD noise almost all the time. My 12" PB makes a tiny clicking noise occasionally when its HD is being used. If your HD is going out, there should be more apparent sign such as sluggish performance and frequent system crash.

5. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Yes but i don't see why hitting keys on the keyboard will cause the hard drive to start accessing. It doesn't happen if you boot to the hardware test cd but it happens in both Panther and Tiger. I haven't noticed it in the mini yet but it is a very quiet noise and the mini hard drive is a lot quieter than the iBook one.

6. California macrumors 68040

California

I WISH I had your problem on my 4 week old iBook. Why? Because I would demand a new hd for these snail like Fujistu 4200 rpm drives they put in the iBooks and have my Apple certified tech put in my Hitachi 7200 RPM drive. Which is one of the first things I called Apple about to see if it would void the warranty. And it would. Such a bummer about these oem drives.

But anyway, I would take that drive in right away to Apple and get a new one. I had an old Fujistu drive on my first Tibook die and Apple replaced it right away.