Almost bought a PSP

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, May 16, 2006.

1. macrumors Core

Dagless

(ooh, and the MacBooks have been released too) Just back from town, the new white PSP came out here yesterday. Didn't think anything about it until today.

I was in Gamestation just looking how much the white model cost, I could pick one up for £160 which contains
    -white PSP
    -32mb CoreProDuo thingy stick
    -any free game and UMD film

I think thats a pretty good deal. But I got looking. I could pick up a black one, 2nd hand for £130 with any 2nd hand game and memory stick. But the 2nd hand thing scares me away a bit. God knows who else has mauled it!

Could I get a better deal online from somewhere? And what could I do with a PSP? I'd probably play 1 or 2 games, probably stick more to legal emulators and homebrew more than anything else. But I keep hearing about firmware this and that and bricking the PSP etc.

I think the UMD will definitely be The Mighty Boosh. gotta love the Boosh. No ideas about games or anything.

helps! I might not even get one though. The GP2X is a much better deal for me (SD card), or I could get a DS lite for half the White PSP price at just £80.

2. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Why do you want one mate? Seriously, bought one at Jap launch, still with v.1.5 firmware and just can't be arsed to use it. Sit's on the shelf gathering dust.

Well I ocasssionaly have a go on lumines, or mercury but thats it. DS has a lot better games overall...

Oh I ordered one of the new macbooks :p

3. Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I just got a PSP. I was all willing to get a used memory card, games, etc, but I always purchase new systems until now. I didn't mind getting a used PSP at all. The people that sell them back are the ones that did even use them that much. They are generally in great shape. Just ask to look at it and turn it on before you purchase it. Plus you'll get to test for dead pixels this way.

4. macrumors 6502

I hope I dont end up buying one, as I'm getting low on funds with the upcoming Treo 700p. But I've been contemplating on buying one solely for the Valkryie Profile game (oh how I WISH WISH WISH I never traded in my old game. WTF!) and perhaps Monster Hunter Freedom? I dunno, really. I'm also looking to get the new DS eventually.

5. macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

RaggedJimi is a big Nintendo fan so I'm sure he has one already, yeah?

6. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Trust me I know ;) :D

Just seen screen shots from ThrillVille on PSP. A console version of Rollercoster Tycoon 3 basically, looks good. My PSP might get some use this year afterall....

7. thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Well I can't find a better deal online.

I don't even know why I want a PSP. Just figured I might as well.

Right now I'm still in limbo. probably come to some decision tonight. GP2X, M3 and a DS Lite or PSP. figured I don't want a GB Micro anymore, seeing that the new DS Lite screen puts it to shame.

8. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Coming over to the dark side huh...come on over its good on this side:)

Bless

9. macrumors 6502a

If you're wavering on a purchase, don't get it until you "gotta have it" or else you really don't want it that badly.

10. macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

You can get a better deal here I have mine up for auction to raise extra funds for my MacBook, But to be honest I wouldn't get one get a DS instead much more fun....

ShadoW

11. thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I have my eye on GTA:LCS. It wouldn't hold me forever. Street Fighter would be a necessity too.

Though I'm STILL STUCK!

I could buy the GP2X. the perfect machine. epic homebrew support! just grand.
    I could buy a DS Lite and M3 when they're out in Canada (import). Play my current favourite games on a sexy new, smaller, brighter device.
    I could fork out a little (lot) more and buy a PSP and the few games for it. More interested in the homebrew scene.

How are Mega Drive and Snes emulators on the PSP? Is there a Commodore Amiga emu? What about Duke 3D and Doom ports?

12. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Then you could port Satan Sam to GP2X and become a legend in the GP scene. ;)

13. macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

If your interested in the Homebrew scene then definatly go for a Gp32x they are $149 at Lik-Sang and they also have the benefit of far better homebrew support and they take SD cards which are much cheaper than MS DUo's

SHadoW

14. macrumors 68000

Abulia

Amiga emulator? Okay, this right here could sell me on a PSP. Does such a thing exist?

15. thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I asked that 'cuz the GP2X has an Amiga emulator :) Turrican 2, Sonic 2, Streets of Rage 2 and Mario World all one 1 handheld would be the best handheld ever.

16. macrumors 68000

Abulia

I've never heard of this GP2X. Google ho!!!!! :D

17. macrumors 65816

slffl

I sold my PSP and got gameboy micro and soon DS Lite. I couldn't be happier! A lot better games and no load times! Man I swear I was waiting longer to load the games than I was playing them.

18. macrumors regular

JoeKarame

The PSP's been the biggest gaming disappointment I've ever had really. I got one on it's US launch, and aside from Ridge Racer and Wipeout, there still bloody nothing of much worth out there which screams "Buy Me!".

Sold mine a fair old while ago now.

DS Lite for the real fun, I think.

19. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

http://gp2x.com/

Shame on you for never having heard of it! :p

;)

20. thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Aye it's a top little machine.

Dragon Monster Freedom (or something)
    Tony Hawks whatever (love a TH game)
    Street Fighter Alpha 3 (though I have it on GBA already)
    GTA:VCS (seeing it was just announced - loved the original)

all have me. But not too much. I'd say Nanostray/DS much. I'd buy one now if the giga-pack was £100. I'd go out in my slippers and buy one. I'm having a hard time justifying the £160, or £240 to get all the games I want.
    :(

Do we know if there's to be a price drop?

21. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

You've always come off as a die hard Nintendo fan, I'm surprised you'd "Support the competition" haha.

I've heard of a price drop the mostly consisted of dropping most of the accessories included... not sure if that is really a price reduction or a value reduction, though. :)

22. thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Hey I have all systems except 360 (soon) and PS2. :) I love the PS1. downright LOVE. after the NES it's definitely another staple of a console.

23. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Check PSP.com they got some good things to download there.

Bless

24. macrumors 68000

Abulia

So who has the Amiga emulator? I can't find it. :(

25. macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5

Be careful, this little console is really cool, but still no way to play original PSX games on it (the emulator sucks).