Almost bought an iMac...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by AJ Muni, Aug 20, 2005.

1. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

geez guys i was sooooooo close. i just went to the apple store, to play around and was sooo close to buying a 1.8 17'' iMac. BUT my girlfreind tried/sort of/ convinced me to wait and save the money, instead of putting it on a credit card. i figured i can pay it off in 2 months...but geez what should i do??!!!?? it looked so nice....and would be a perfect brother to my ibook. but i was thinking...any1 else have this setup?? i dont wanna buy an imac,and then never use my ibook or vice versa....

2. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

wow. it sounds like you gotta keeper!

its unusual for a girl to suggest you dont use your card. shes right. just save the money. its a better financial decision and how you manage your finances will have a huge impact on your life. i wish i learned early on how to save instead of charge.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Damn Girlfriends. She just wants the money spent on her. :) J/k

When you see the machine in person its amazing how your defense on spending is thwarted. Those machines are sic. I'd say if you are going to save more, save and get the 20". You know you want it.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The interest on 2 months isn't that bad unless you have a really high interest rate. But I'd wait just because of the expo on in Sept. Probably won't be an iMac update, but there may be a new, lower cost PowerMac. Nothing wrong with having 2. Especially if one is a laptop, which will still serve a purpose if you get a desktop.

5. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

yea shes told countlesst times how much of a nerd i am,and that i have a love affair with my ibook (shes right)...but yea i was thinking of waiting till after the expo. but im gettin the same fever i got b4 i got this notebook i.e. dream of imac, think of the imac, see the imac everywhere.....not sure if imma last!!!!!!!

6. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

my girlfriend is the same way...she hates me spending money...so i had to make my recent powerbook purchase a secret...lol i have spent like 3k on it in like 2 months lol....but i would go back to the store and buy it w/o her knowing ... just do it...you know you wana

7. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

My wife and I went through the same thing when the iMac G5 first came out. We had decided at the end of 2003 that I would buy a laptop for school (iBook) and our next purchase would be a desktop for her. Anyway, we kept saying to ourselves, "Save the money." But we were weak, and continued going to the Apple Store on a weekly basis to noodle around with it. When we were about 2/3 of the way saved up for it, my credit card gave me 0% interest offer on balance transfers for 6 months. So we put it on another card, and then transferred the balance for the 0% interest...It was paid off a couple of months later...

Providence...Divine Intervention...

8. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I'm kinda glad you held off because you really should go for the 2.0 GHZ model if at all possible.
    The 17" 2.0 GHZ model with at least 1 GB RAM is probably one of the best
    configurations Apple offers in an affordable system.

The only reason you would want to purchase something like this with credit would be if you need to establish good credit.

Paying it off in 90 days would be fine for that reason, but not if you have multiple accounts adding up.

9. godbout macrumors regular

I think that your GF was right this time around (man, it pains me to say it!)... What you could do that is a compromise is save enough $$ to be able to pay for most of it and only charge what you KNOW you can pay in 30 days... If you buy now and have a crappy interest rate then you are throwing away money that could be used for more mac stuff! :D you might even be able to upgrade to the 2.0 (which I agree, is pretty much the best deal that apple has going right now!)

10. generationxwing macrumors 6502

generationxwing

She's smart. Putting it on your credit card will only end up costing you more money in interest, and limit your ability to deal with unforseen financial hardships.

Let's say you bought the thing tomorrow, and threw it on your VIZA. You put some money towards the balance, but the bulk of the cost is still on there. Then, you lose your job and have either no source of income, or it is severely limited. All of a sudden, you can't pay off your iMac in two months and its costing you more and more.

Maybe your car breaks down, and you can't afford to fix it because you have an iMac purchase taking up most of your available credit. Or a pet needs surgery, or anything else you haven't thought of.

Your girlfriend is making a ton of sense. Save up the cash, and hell save up for a bigger iMac. You already have an iBook, why do you need another computer right away? I don't think it'll miss not having a "brother."

11. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

i kno i wanna soooooooooo bad. lol its funny cuz i had to hide my ibook for like 2 months. geez what should i do...i figured i can save $600 in 1 month. and have the other $600 in 2-3 months....i FIRMLY believe in buying now, not waiting for update. i dont think expo will do much to imacs anyways.

p.s. i kept telling my girl ill give her the free ipod, but she wasnt biting.
    p.s.s what is it with girlfreinds hating on apple??? :confused: :confused:

12. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

you kno what, your right man. im just gonna wait another month and try to save up as much as possible cuz i wanna take advantage of the free ipod. for some reason my girlfreind gave me the same advice, but i just didnt wanna hear it coming from her....thanks for the feedback guys..

p.s. is any1 else addicted to these forums?? :D :D

13. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yes, you should do it before the iPod promotion ends, *if* it isn't too much of a financial burden. If you don't need the iPod mini, take its UPC code, and then put it up on ebay. That would give you an extra $130 or so towards you iMac.

Your iBook is pretty new though. You might appreciate the iMac even more, if you put a bigger gap between the two (extra half a year).

I agree it is best, if you save a bit longer. I put my cinema display and Powerbook, on a zero percent card in January. However, with selling my iBook, I paid-off the Powerbook, in about three months, and now I owe $400 more on the cinema. If you're really diligent about paying it down in big chunks, it is ok. However, its best to save, for then you don't have to worry.

I have to hand it to this forum. We are pretty money savvy around here. You know there are those who buy these things, and then pay on them for decades. :(

14. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'll echo the other posters-- SAVE YOUR MONEY! Save up for the iMac. And about this:
    Tsk, tsk. Not all gfs hate on Apple. :p Psst, if you look around, there are a good number of us women here on MR. ;)

15. godbout macrumors regular

I feel the same way about that last post script... it is always "why do you want that powerbook, it is twice what a PC costs and the PC has the same/better specs blah blah blah ;)"

I had been using macs for years but one day I even sunk so low as to actually semi-seriously look into sony FS! I was just going to throw linux on it but still! When I got to the store I actually felt a little sick in my stomach just thinking about getting a PC so the next day I went and got my PB... Thank God!!! :D

P.S. In the end she was very supportive of my decision! What a girl ;)

P.P.S. I did not nessesarily mean GF :) GF, mom, dad, BF, etc... anyone who has not seen the light ;)

16. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Ummm; you came HERE to ask if you did the right thing holding off buying a Mac?

Int that a bit like walking into a bar and taking a poll whether you should order a drink or not? :D

17. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well, there may or mayn't be a good number of women here, but there are a number of good women here, that's for sure... ;)

18. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Aww, hee hee... aww... :eek: I'll just assume I'm one of the good 'uns you're mentioning. ;)

19. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Umm...you can say that...but ill always take some advice on buying a $1300 "drink"....unless of course im p.diddy, and can buy out the whole bar..

p.s. the helpful advice i got here...helped me walk outta the "bar"... :p

20. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

when i say hate, i just think she doesnt realize how cool macs are. i always get the face" oh no your turning on ur ibook again"....who knows ill probably just buy her an ibook instead of getting my imac....NOT!! :cool:

21. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Only buy something that you have the money for. Your girlfriend was right in stopping you. You need to hold on too her... :rolleyes:

Besides, it will be that much sweeter when you do get your Mac...:D

22. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

You may not believe in waiting for updates, but you do already have a great 'lil machine.
    This fortunately gives you pleanty of time to save for your next purchase without any major hardship.
    I doubt we'll see another iMac update, but other new products could prove to be quite interesting next month at the Paris Expo.
    No one really knows, but there are still strong rumors of a new dual core machine in the works.

Either way, I think you'll benefit greatly by saving up for the best machine you can get.

23. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You don't know me. You're just jealous. I don't have a problem man, I can quit whenever I want. I just.. I just like it a lot that's all. Just say the word and I'm done, cold turkey.

24. generationxwing macrumors 6502

generationxwing

There's a BIG difference between waiting for an update, and waiting until you can actually afford it...

25. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Consider yourself lucky. It used to be that nerds had computers and lusted after girlfriends.