Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

signor.dictator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Virtually no commands in terminal are working. For example, wget, shell, etc..none of them work. Do I need to install or change a path or something? Could someone tell me what I need to do step by step and exactly what I need to time in terminal in order to finally get commands to work? I'm trying to do this all on my local machine.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Post the output of this command:
Code:
echo "$PATH"

FWIW, wget is not installed by default on any Mac OS X versions.

And I know of no command named "shell", though I know of multiple shells.

If you're saying the problem is that you can't open a shell in a Terminal window, then it's quite possibly a botched shell profile file. To find out, you'll need to tell us what shell you're using (is it the default bash or something else?).

You could also create a new user account in System Preferences (the Account pane before Lion, the User and Groups pane in Lion) and try Terminal there. If that works, post again and we can give commands to help discover and/or change the shell profile in the malfunctioning account.

And please identify what OS version you're using.

Last edited:

kryten2

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2012
Belgium
Which commands aren't working? Wget is not a standard OS X command. You can install it with MacPorts or compile it from source. Couldn't find shell either.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    70.5 KB · Views: 113
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.