Almost Official like English Sports Car Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dont Hurt Me, May 6, 2006.

1. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I think some of the British Sports cars from years ago were the best looking machines to ever grace our roads. I would love to hear from others whom own or want a classsic english sports car from time gone by. Here is one my favorites. They dont make these anymore.

Attached Files:

• car.jpg
      car.jpg
      File size:
      232.7 KB
      Views:
  2. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

3. CompUser Guest

My dad used to have an MG MGB, it was red though. He loved it but he sold it. When his first car was a 196x Land Rover Series II 88" wheel base, he bought it for $200 and it was in perfect condition the entire time he owned it. If he held onto it he would have a $8000+ car on his hands. He likes jaguar but its not really practical for him. However, he does have a land rover discovery- not sports car, not a classic (well, it does use really old parts even though its only 3 years old) but it is english, and thats what counts.

I agree with you, classic british sports cars are awesome. I really love Triumphs.

I would even say that today British cars are among the best looking vehicles on the road.

All the new Jaguars are beautiful along with the Land Rovers (LR3/Discovery III is quirky but I like the styling).

4. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thank you for your replys, I should have posted I am in the states and have some british blood...............:D ..........thank God. There has been some fantastic and great looking machines from the UK. MY first machine ever was a TR7. I thought i was so cool:rolleyes: Anyways thats my MGB.

5. CompUser Guest

I love the Triumph TR6s. They are my favorite. I also like the Austin Healey Sprites and BN4. MG's are ok in my book, the midget is too small and not all of the MGB's look very good, although I like yours.

i hope my first car is a little british sports car, a 96+ Range Rover, or a 1999+ Discovery. I really love British cars.

6. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

It would be really cool if some members have some british cars to posts here, Jags,Jensens,MGs,Triumphs, etc to post pictures & comments. Lets face it I dont know what it is but the Brits made some beautiful cars. I cant tell you the looks i have gotten in this humble little MGB. Even let the wife and step daughter drive this thing from S.C. US to N.C. and the stories they told. Seems everyone loves a old British sports cars on the highway with a couple of blondes at the wheel. Wish I could get a picture of Dr'Who's Billie in this thing. As a matter of fact my step daughter would pass for the Dr's woman Billy:D Looks just like her and so does my lovely wife. Guess iam a lucky man.:D

7. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I loved the Tr6 also a great looking machine no doubt, we have 1 that i have seen where i live in S.C, yahooville S.C. USA .Really a great looking car, almost as good looking as my:rolleyes: MGB. British leyland F. upd that though. MGB was the bread & Butter.

8. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

She's currently in storage, waiting for the summer to come, and this is the best picture I could find.

Ben

Attached Files:

9. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thanks cool sweet. Its amazing here in the states how many MGs are still running around. These things are 20 - 40 years old? When all these american cars are in dumps and rusting away its truely amazing that you see MGs still running around from 30 years ago. Guess iam becoming a old fart:( still just a beautiful design. Iam getting interested again in this work of art that has 36,000 miles on it.:) usually drive a dodge truck during the day but my MG is my love ( other then my wife) She is so sweet. Come on people, Austins, Jensens,Jags,Triumphs,and many others please post and tell us about those experiences? My Beautiful Wife and Daughter had so much fun cruising in that Mg Iam just glad they made it home. Nothing like a couple of Blondes in a British Sports Car from years ago. Wish they would have imported that V8 MGB into the states. Mac Lovers lets see those British Sports Cars.

10. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

After constantly seeing a pristine example at my local pub, I lust after a vintage TR5.

Beautiful little car.

11. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Just for you then, here's a pic of him in action for Leicester Tigers. ;)

[​IMG]

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I love the look of english sports cars as well. Some are nicer than others, but I'd take most of them over any car on the road today because I think they're cool looking. You can even give me Austin Powers' car. It's cool.....I'd love to paint that thing red and just go.

Too bad about MG going out of business, though.

14. iGav macrumors G3

Really? I never knew they shipped those over to the U.S., I loved those back in the day too.

If I recall correctly, a little company on the Isle of Wight purchased the rights to the Frogeye Sprite, and as far as I'm aware were still producing them way into the '90's, if not still going.

If I was forced under penalty of death to own a British roadster, other than the Frogeye, I'd be inclined to go for the Aston Martin DB2/4 drop-head coupe, the ONLY Aston worth owning if you ask me. ;)

15. Queso macrumors G4

The Jaguar E-type spyder was something special. The model that Mrs. Peel had on The Avengers was my favourite. My Dad's business partner had a red one whilst I was growing up. All I remember of riding in it was this bonnet stretching out into the distance in front of you.

I also liked the Triumph Stag, even though it was so obviously a penis extension for middle-aged City gents :D

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

As we (the British) seem incapable to producing a proper British sportscar (small, light, cheap, relatively low power but fun to drive) we need to look further afield. Personally I like my MX5 (Miata in the US). It has ticks all the boxes on my previous list. I have heard that when they were designing the first MX5 they tried to make it like the Lotus Elan, one of the last great British sportscars.

If you want something made in Britain you need to get a TVR. But they are expensive and have the other great British attribute in bucket loads: they are unreliable and bits fall off them.

I'd still love a Griffith one day though...

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I've driven a Spitfire....It's a pretty car but pretty crap in terms of build quality. Being small and light counts for a lot though! I've been in a Lotus Elan too - sitting in that car it's obvious where Mazda got their inspiration for the MX-5.

My dad used to own a 1968/69 TVR Vixen S1 with a Cortina engine. He sold it before I was old enough to drive. :(

It had a cracked windshield and he didn't want to send all the way to Blackpool for a new one. Maybe it wasn't that great of a car but the fact that I never got a chance to drive it still irritates me. He took it to Nelson's Ledges racetrack and Mid-Ohio back when they ran Can-Am races there...it only had around 100hp but weighed nothing.

I'd love to be able to buy a TVR here - they have so many interesting cars, but my favorite for the longest time was the Cerbera. The T350C is probably my second fav.

18. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If here is the USA then you just might be able to.

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The original MX-5 only lacked the window frames and the bad Lucas electrics.

I'd say the electrics are the reason that there aren't any British sports cars anymore. I used to see a lot of great cars when I was growing up and grew to love the 1963 Jaguar E-type and the 1974 Lotus Europa.

The Spridget was too small and uncomfortable. The TR-6 was great looking and had that funky electric overdrive. The MGB and MGB GT/GT+6 were pretty amazing. I could appreciate the track ability of the Jensen Healy but, like the others, it couldn't be trusted because of the electrics.

The TR-7/TR-8 was such a last, best attempt out of Triumph. It felt so good. What sunk it? Was it British Leyland or Lucas electrics or some combination? It seemed popular.

20. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Where are the pictures of British cars from Mac heads? I was hoping we would be seeing a few cars. Perhaps Macheads dont drive British sports cars:( saabmp3 is the only one to post a picture so far so come on you British Sports Car Drivers.

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

USA, that's right.

I saw that linked somwehere else...an interesting idea. Unfortunately I don't think that TVR will bring the cars to the US officially in the forseable future. TVR and Alfa Romeo are the two brands that I really would like to see here, but neither one seems to be willing to take the risk. Oh well, at least I could get a Noble. :)

22. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

British Leyland sunk it. Famously bad management. God knows why they axed both their sports car brands (MG and Triumph) when they still sold well. Was a shame MG couldnt sell the now defunct MG-TF in the states. It was a great MX-5 challenger.

[​IMG]

23. iGav macrumors G3

British Leyland was doomed from the start.

On a side note, my great aunt was killed in a Midget. :(

24. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thats is beautiful, its sad that in the states we allways get the water down ugly version of cars it seems. The MG-TF is one pretty thing.

25. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The last big deal I remember from MG was the Metro. One of the magazines, probably Car, was complaining that the size was an issue because it didn't fit into the neat categories already available.

There were so many interesting cars in the late 1970s and early 1980s, even if they weren't all British. I was enamoured of the Fiat X1/9 and its cousin the 128 3P but once again, reliability stopped me from indulging. Magneti Marelli was the equal of Lucas.

I wonder how much a heavy dose of reliability would have helped the various car companies in the U.S.A. Seeing as how the cookie cutter car industry is dressing up the same car under different marques, will we give up true creativity and innovation in search of efficiency and price?