Alpha Centauri

Discussion in 'Games' started by bnemesis, Jan 26, 2004.

1. bnemesis macrumors regular

One of my favorite pc games EVAR is Alpha Centauri.

I saw that Aspyr still sells the Alien Crossfire expansion, but Im having the hardest time finding a copy of the actual game.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    Amazon doent have it, neither does Chips and Bits, and i struck out on Ebay too.

2. cubist macrumors 68020

I never found a copy of the expansion for the Mac, either. I did have it on the PC a while back.

Alpha C didn't work that well in earlier versions of Mac OS X, but I haven't played it lately. I did like a couple of the new factions intro'd in the Alien C expansion pack.

I think I saw a combo pack of Alpha Centauri somewhere... can't find it now tho.

Fun game. You know, I enjoyed playing Civ2 and AlphaC a lot more than I enjoyed Civ3. It's like in Civ3 they got too serious all of a sudden, and took all the fun stuff out.

3. sketchy macrumors regular

I think we still have it (the game, not expantion. I will check tonight if I remember :)

Dave

4. LoadRunner macrumors member

I own a copy of bolth games. It is one of my favorit games of all time. Unforchently I can never find any one who wants to play.

ps I bought my copy 2 years ago at macworld sf. But you can find it at aspyr for 4 dollars! linkage http://www.aspyr.com/games.php/mac/smacx/

If your up for a game some time feel free to american online instant message me. My screen name is demegod . :)

5. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Yeah, Alpha Centauri is a pretty good game. It wasn't too terrible stable though on OS 9, upon first release, but if you give it lots of memory, and update the game, it will run for a while, long enough that you quit before it crashes.

I haven't tried the expansion pack, I did buy it however, when it came out. It feels exactly like Civ2, except for the technological advances. Civ3 wasn't as fun, but I only played it for a little bit.

6. LoadRunner macrumors member

I find that funny, because it never crashed on me.. I kind of wish it did, cause i'd loose days to this game, and I'm not even that good at it.

If it was crashing i'd guess you never upgraded the app, or you needed to clean the os up probable had a corrupted file in the system folder. Could be bad ram.

7. job macrumors 68040

job

Brad Oliver also released a beta patch for it to run under OSX. I have SMAC and SMACX running in X (10.2.8) on a blueberry iMac. It's great. :)

8. LoadRunner macrumors member

9. LoadRunner macrumors member

Never Mind I found it.
    http://www.brad-oliver.com:8080/~boliver/SMAC_Carbon.sit

The os x version seem to be prone to crashing. Especially when it play movies.

But on the other hand it is fast. Turns can take haph the time. It's amazing how complex this game can be. I need to figure out the hole minerals thing works again. What is the best way to start off the game. What is every ones favorite way to start the game? I'm prone to the tree hugger.

Have you tried contacting aspier? I know it's easy to find googling, but every one wants 30 to 40 dollars. Maybe barns in nobals .com has it used online.

10. bnemesis thread starter macrumors regular

i found the expansion on aspyr's site.
    I cant find the original game which the expansion requires. :(

11. cubist macrumors 68020

I had fairly good success using the militarist one. The UN one and the scientist one have significant disadvantages. In the expansion pack, the water-civ one is good.

12. LoadRunner macrumors member

Lol the pirates... :) Melt the ice caps time to invade. :) I wonder how quickly some one could rush to orbital mines, energy, food statlights. Those things just kick ass.

Any idea how to use planetary transit system?

13. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Colonel Santiago rocks. Plus, she looks better than Deidre Skye. :p

14. bnemesis thread starter macrumors regular

I got an email from Aspyr today.
    They said that the reason I cant find stand-alone Alpha Centauri is that they discontinued it some months ago. The Alien Crossfire pack is also discontinued, but they still have stock.

This sucks. Oh well, back to ebay...
    or god forbid... emule... ;)

15. bnemesis thread starter macrumors regular

I had always wanted to try using Cult Of Planet and use nothing but bio-weapons.

16. LoadRunner macrumors member

I always go for mind worms with Lady Deidre Skye, but later on it's not as effective, because there no way to upgrade them, so I have to sac alot of units to build their size up.

What the tec pattern like for Colonel Santiago?

17. LoadRunner macrumors member

Has any one successfully played alpha century online? It seems the carbon version fills up the slots, and if you try to host it wants some old os 9 sprocket. The same thing happens with 1.5.2.

Turned out I could only get version 1.4 up and hosting. But then ones any one joined, and ready up, but then when then when I would start the game it would leave them behind in the window.