Alpha testers needed

Discussion in 'Games' started by gekko513, Sep 28, 2004.

1. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

My first Mac game is ready to be alpha tested. Download it and try it out at lavacat.com. I need someone to test it and give me feedback so that I can give more exact system requirements. Also report bugs if you get it to work at all ;)

Oh ... the game is a 3D'ish version of Solitaire.

Edit: Alpha 2 release is now available
    Edit: Alpha 3 release is now available
    Edit: Beta release is now available
    Edit: Beta 2 release is now available
    Edit: 1.0 released

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

It won't run on my work machine in my sig, OS 10.3.5. :confused:

3. Jedi Matthew macrumors member

Begins to open and then crashes on my PowerBook 12" OS 10.3.5 (512MB RAM)

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

wont open on my machine, 12 in pb G4 rev a, standard ram, 10.3.5

5. vasaz macrumors member

Same here, opens and crashes right away:

10.3.5, 15" powerbook 1.5 w/512 Ram, 128 Vram

6. MacManDan macrumors 6502

Same thing to report on my machine (PB G4 800/1 gb ram/10.3.5). Crash log says:

ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/audun/Utvikling/Solitaire/build/Solitaire.build/Solitaire XL.build/Objects-normal/ppc/main.ob
    ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/audun/Utvikling/Solitaire/build/Solitaire.build/Solitaire XL.build/Objects-normal/ppc/SolitaireWindow.ob
    ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/audun/Utvikling/Solitaire/build/Solitaire.build/Solitaire XL.build/Objects-normal/ppc/CardView.ob
    ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/audun/Utvikling/Solitaire/build/Solitaire.build/Solitaire XL.build/Objects-normal/ppc/TextureBuilder.ob
    ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/audun/Utvikling/Solitaire/build/Solitaire.build/Solitaire XL.build/Objects-normal/ppc/CardWindow.ob
    ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/audun/Utvikling/Solitaire/build/Solitaire.build/Solitaire XL.build/Objects-normal/ppc/CardContainer.ob
    ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/audun/Utvikling/Solitaire/build/Solitaire.build/Solitaire XL.build/Objects-normal/ppc/CardImageBuilder.ob
    ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/audun/Utvikling/Solitaire/build/Solitaire.build/Solitaire XL.build/Objects-normal/ppc/MultiObjectView.ob
    ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/audun/Utvikling/Solitaire/build/Solitaire.build/Solitaire XL.build/Objects-normal/ppc/OpenGLObjectView.ob
    ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/audun/Utvikling/Solitaire/build/Solitaire.build/Solitaire XL.build/Objects-normal/ppc/DeckContainer.ob
    ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/audun/Utvikling/Solitaire/build/Solitaire.build/Solitaire XL.build/Objects-normal/ppc/Deck.ob
    ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/audun/Utvikling/Solitaire/build/Solitaire.build/Solitaire XL.build/Objects-normal/ppc/Metrics.ob
    ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/audun/Utvikling/Solitaire/build/Solitaire.build/Solitaire XL.build/Objects-normal/ppc/ColumnWindow.ob
    ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/audun/Utvikling/Solitaire/build/Solitaire.build/Solitaire XL.build/Objects-normal/ppc/ColumnContainer.ob
    ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/audun/Utvikling/Solitaire/build/Solitaire.build/Solitaire XL.build/Objects-normal/ppc/MultiCardWindow.ob
    ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/audun/Utvikling/Solitaire/build/Solitaire.build/Solitaire XL.build/Objects-normal/ppc/MultiCardContainer.ob
    ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/audun/Utvikling/Solitaire/build/Solitaire.build/Solitaire XL.build/Objects-normal/ppc/PrefImageView.ob
    ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/audun/Utvikling/Solitaire/build/Solitaire.build/Solitaire XL.build/Objects-normal/ppc/PrefPanel.ob
    ZeroLink: unknown symbol '_main'
    FSpOpenRF(FileName) failed, err=-43
    Not JPEG: /Volumes/Solitaire XL/Solitaire XL.app

7. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

won't open in my 1.5 ghz pbook running 10.4 beta. sorry for more bad news :(

8. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

9. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i was gonna try it but i'm just gonna assume it doesn't work. :D

10. Macdantheman07 macrumors member

I know this is off topic but how are u liking 10.4 beta? Can you comment on features or performance or are your lips sealed by apple?

by the way i can't get the program to run either.

11. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

gekko513, I suspect the problem is that you haven't changed your build style to deployment (assuming you are using Xcode). The default is development, but that prevents you from running the application on another computer.

To change the build style to deployment, select your project in the "Groups & Files" list in Xcode, get info, click on the Styles tab and select "Deployment" in the "Active Build Style" menu.

12. whenpaulsparks macrumors regular

won't work on my PowerMac G4 (FW 800) 1GHz running 10.3.5

and in case you need to narrow it down to common denominators, heres' the specs:
    512 MB DDR 333 RAM
    nVidia GeForce 4 MX 64MB DDR (1024x768)
    attached devices:
    Belkin USB Hub
    Logitech Cordless MX Duo
    Apple 15GB iPod

13. GovornorPhatt macrumors regular

Wont run on my G5. I checked and the file permissions seemed odd. I coudn't change them, even with admin access.

14. whenpaulsparks macrumors regular

since you're planning on making it a free release, why don't you just release the source code? or do you plan on commercializing based on your concepts in the future?

15. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Thanks HexMonkey ... I'll get back to you with the Alpha 2 Release :D

16. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

17. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

If people like the game, then I'm thinking about developing Solitaire XLS or something like that, with more games. If I develop Solitaire XLS, it will be shareware, like in you choose between paying $9 or have nag windows pop up before you get to play, and as such will be semi-commercial.

18. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I WON!!!

It's looking pretty good, here are a few things.

1. Make an ability to adjust the size of the playing area.
    2. Maybe speed up animations a little, they seem kind of slow.
    3. Make a Widget version of this for 10.4 Tiger's Dashboard, that way I can play at work.

Keep up the good work.

19. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

It's called Hide Others :) It's good that it runs now!

20. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

It runs nice on my 12-inch powerbook (10.3.5)
    I will try it later on my sawtooth and see if it runs well there too.

21. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I can happily confirm that it runs GREAT on my 400 MHZ G4 sawtooth with GF4MX and 512 MB ram.
    So your can surely lower you recommended specs on your neat game!

If its due to Quartz Extreme i dont know, but it runs almost as good as on my 12-inch 1.33 GHZ Powerbook

22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

couple of ideas:

speed up the animation, or in prefs allow to turn animation off and adjust speed

in prefs have a windowed mode availible, yes i know that you can just hide others, BUT even with everything else hidden it is hard to play over my current background, so an option to have it windowed completely wouldnt hurt

other than that it, i lose the first time, darn!!

oh and what about scores/stats??

23. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Wow ... that's great!

Thanks to all of you who help me by providing this feedback. I've started to implement an Animation Speed slider and a Playing Area Size slider in the Preferences, but I'm still pondering what to do about the solid background request.

I invested a lot of research and development effort into making the card stack windows transparent, just to find out that it makes the game experience worse, LOL :p

Like I said, the Hide Others menu option does provide a way to customize the background, but I guess it isn't obvious and if the user has a cluttered desktop it isn't sufficient either. Maybe I could just expand the Deck window underneath the other windows ... I'll see if I can figure something out.

I'm not sure if I'm able to make a Widget out of this, since I'm not sure how Dashboard handles NSOpenGLViews, I'll look into it when I get the tools required to develop for for Dashboard and the time to read up on it.

Keep the feedback coming ... I'm very excited to hear that you like it!

24. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

Hey, great game. I always enjoy a good Solitare game.

anyway, ive ran into a bug. I dont know exactly what I was doing, but somehow I made one of the Aces at top "deattach" from the game. its basically like a floating object on my desktop. I cant seem to find a way to get it back into the game. I can move it anywhere, and currently its sitting above what im typing right now

[​IMG]

eh, im sure its just a rare occurance, but thought i'd report it anyway.

specs in sig

PS: are you working on any other card-type game? i'd love to play other card games like this :)

edit: hmm... seems I found a quick fix. All I did was Hide the game and brought it back, and the Ace re-attached himself... hmm

Attached Files:

• ace.jpg
      ace.jpg
      File size:
      61.8 KB
      Views:
  25. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Alpha 3 release is available. Preferences for size, speed and background solidity added.