alphabetize Bookmarks in Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fjs08, Dec 23, 2004.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Jun 25, 2003
    Is there a way to alphabetize my Bookmarks in Safari?? They seem to be in random order. I'm not asking about the Bookmark "headers" that I keep on the bar, but the items under each heading.

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays to all!

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    nope, unless you feel like doing it all yourself, this is one of my problems and issues with safari
  3. TBR macrumors 6502

Feb 14, 2004
    Blackpool - England
    Yes there is, there's a freeware program that will do this called Safari Sorter. It'll sort out alll your bookmarks automatically everyday at a defined time and even try's to sort out your duplicates for you. Got my copy on Versiontracker.
  4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    still, such functionality should be already integrated into Safari, but thanks for the info
  5. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 25, 2003
  6. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

Jan 13, 2005
    I just discovered that this bookmark sorter is not compatible with Tiger. Instead, it has been replaced by a new program called BookDog, which comes at a price tag. The whole thing seems a little silly to me - surely the masterminds at Apple could've integrated a 'sort' button into Safari somewhere... ahh my expectations are waaaay too high again.

So I have to ask whether there is a 'free' way to sort Safari bookmarks (without doing it by hand!)...

Also does anyone know if it's possible to have Safari warn you before closing down if you have more than one tab open? (Like Firefox does).
  7. Kerry Sanders macrumors regular

Kerry Sanders

Apr 25, 2005
    Hayden, AL
    I was going to mention BookDog 1.0, but PCMacUser beat me to it. Here is the link to it, by the way.... BookDog
  8. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 25, 2003
    I keep getting error messages every day. I'll have to remove the program. I'm finding that Safari still can't print certain items. Just made a reservation on the Hertz site, clicked "print friendly" form and nothing happened.

But Safari does seem to move quicker than in 10.3.x.

9. Lightnin Rick macrumors member

Oct 18, 2007
    BCC AZ
    I know this is old but my safari sorter works on tiger.
  10. itouchg1 macrumors newbie

Jan 17, 2009
    warn before safari closes down

In the Safari preferences menu, click on the "Tabs" tab; in here you will see the option to confirm before closing multiple tabs.

Hope this helps.
  11. itouchg1 macrumors newbie

Jan 17, 2009
    Safari Sorter

My Mac version is 10.5.8 - is there a safari sorter for this version of OS X?
  12. fred-in-boston macrumors newbie

Nov 13, 2009
    Really easy way to alphabetize Safari Bookmarks

NOTE: this sounds a lot harder than it is. Once set up, it's almost automatic. In fact, this approach is about the same effort as if the Safari engineers had implemented a Bookmarks Sort function.

1. Install Firefox on your computer (you may have it already)

2. Install Xmarks on both Firefox and Safari.

3. Sync Safari to Xmarks which uploads your Safari bookmarks
    (not alphabetized) to the Xmarks server. Be careful to tell
    Xmarks that Safari should be uploaded, not merged, with server.

4. Sync Firefox to Xmarks.
    NOte that Xmarks asks which browser has precedence.
    Think about this before you select. If you just installed Firefox, then
    Safari would have precedence and you would tell Xmark/Firefox to
    use the Xmarks server to have precedence,
    (where you have already synced your Safari bookmarks)

5. Once you have Firefox with the same bookmarks as Safari, use Firefox
    bookmark manager to alphabetize some or all your Bookmarks.
    Easy and obvious.

6 Run Xmarks sync on Firefox the 2nd time which will upload alphabetized
    bookmarks to the Xmarks server.

7. Run Xmarks sync on Safari to download the alphabetized bookmarks
    from the Xmarks server.

8. Quit Firefox which uses far more CPU cycles than Safari.

9. When you need your Safari bookmarks alphabetized, just start up Firefox
    and go to Tools and do an Xmarks sync, alphabetize, then sync again
    and quite Firefox.

10. You can go back and force Safari to do an Xmarks sync or just let the Safari Xmarks automatically sync once a day or whatever.

Again, this sounds a lot harder than it is. Once set up, the only effort is to start up Firefox once in a while, sync, alpahbetize, sycn, the Quit.

In fact, as said in the opening, this approach is about the same effort as if Safari engineers had provided a sort function.

Also note that you may have Firefox running on some other computer. If you don't mind that "other" version of Firefox having the same bookmarks as your Safari, you can use that Firefox.

Note also that you can sync your passwords if that's useful. You are forced to provide an encryption password, no more effort than providing a password for Xmarks.
  13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    You lost me right there. It is absolutely unnecessary to install Firefox or do any of the other steps you posted in order to sort bookmarks in Safari. Follow the 2nd link in the post just before yours, (which was a year ago, by the way) for a quick and simple solution that doesn't require installing anything. Please read threads and understand what they're about before you post.