Alpine iPod link

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by superbovine, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Codemonkey macrumors 6502

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

That's probably a bit better. While you don't have the controls in your steering wheel, you do have the ability to navigate through your iPod instead of just a single playlist.

3. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

4. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I just got the bmw adapter installed in my car and it works great. It lets you navigate through 5 different playlists or the whole ipod library if you press the 6 on your in dash radio. Having the controls on the wheel is a big advantage in my opinion, as it makes it much easier to control while you are driving.

5. Codemonkey macrumors 6502

Yep, assuming you already have a good deck, replacing it with a brand-new deck just to get iPod connectivity is kinda pissing away money.

Otherwise, coming from an installer, that Alpine deck is well worth the upgrade if you have pretty much any other brand deck/head unit.

6. iMook macrumors regular

To me, the Alpine unit is much better thant he BMW connectivity solution, since I'm not the type of person who can trust myself to choose five playlists of music that are guaranteed to fit my mood in my car. So, the Alpine unit's much greater control is a BIG plus. Also, the coolness factor of that 7" touchscreen just strikes a chord in me :D

7. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

If i didnt have a bmw and were not able to use the bmw adapter, i might would go for the alpine unit. Before the bmq option came out, i was thinking about getting an icelink since it has steering wheel control, but i didnt like how it had to be set up. I do not like to add things to my bmw that look out of place and the icelink had either fit in the glovebox, leaving very little control for the user, or fit in a bracket somewhere on the dash or consol, messing up the clean interior of my car. I think i prefer the subtlety of the bmw solution since i have never thought head units like this look good in bmws. I like the clean lines of the bmw interior and the simplicity of the central consol/dash, and third party head units just dont fit in well.

I guess the five playlists option may seem limited, but i dont really mind. I am not normally in my car long enough to get through that much music and i like every song that i have so i dont ever mind listening to any playlist.

I have tried using an ipod when driving a car and it is too obtrusive for me without steering wheel controls. I suppose one must make a sacrifice with either solution. If you like having the ipod at your fingertips and do not mind not having wheel controls then you should go with a head unit solution. If you prefer steering wheel controls then you should go with an icelink or similar solution.

8. Codemonkey macrumors 6502

You mean the Alpine Ai-NET head units?

YUM. Yeah, I'm trying to save for the combo for the van... sure is taking a while tho. :p

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

No prices. Also with many GM cars there are issues for the factory installed radio and the airbag (I think it has to do with the OnStar).

Also I missed something for the Subaru.

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks, I am hoping that Gift Card is in the works for my birthday next week so that I can upgrade my stereo and speakers.