Already returning my 360

Discussion in 'Games' started by Sutekidane, May 23, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

Well, I got a xbox 360 about a week ago, and I've been having a blast playing Oblivion on it. Today it froze on me twice randomly, and I've just had enough. It froze when I was playing fable on it too. I'm not sure what's up with MS and the 360s but there is definitely some major software/hardware issue going on. I'm really upset about it, as I really enjoyed my 360. Hopefully I'll get one again when they actually work. :-(

2. macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Been there. Done that. Returned mine after 4 days. I had about $900 into hardware and games. Got most of it back. Freaking Microsoft. I should have known better :rolleyes:

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

The system seemed so well designed and thought out that I didn't think my $500 investment would turn out to be a bad one. I mean it was great until it kept freezing.

4. macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

ANY chance that you bought a system from the old batch? :confused:

Regardless, I feel your pain. I had enough with my own 360 problems and will wait until 1/07 at the earliest for another go at it.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I believe the manufacturing date was 4/2006

6. macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Mine has been perfect since day 1.

7. macrumors 6502a

mine has been perfect as well. It's crazy i've seen threads like this from a few people that just happened to get duds from the factory. Sucks. Mine was second batch from BB.

8. macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Instead of selling it, call up Microsoft and tell them your problems. When I got the "Ring of Death", they sent me a shipping box and label and I had a refurb model that I haven't had a problem with yet (*knock on wood*). I would try that route first and if they don't help you out then just go along returning it.

9. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I'm not going through the BS having it replaced 5 or 6 times like everyone else does, I'm returning it now while I still can. I think the problem is more with the software really, just really buggy software. You said that yours has been perfect from day 1? what games do you play on it? Mine has played Demos off the HD perfectly well, but when it came to xbox 1, and my only game for 360, oblivion, it has been rocky to say the least. Fable ran so poorly, the framerate was awful, and it froze often.

10. macrumors 6502a

No problems with my Xbox360 yet. Oblivion, Tomb Raider, Quake, Call of Duty 2. Had it since January.

My only complaint is that it's a bit loud when playing games, sounds like a hair dryer set on low, and produces about as much heat. Couldn't the richest man in the world put a team together that could design it better?

11. macrumors 6502a

No problems with my Xbox360 yet. Oblivion, Tomb Raider, Quake, Call of Duty 2. Had it since January.

My only complaint is that it's a bit loud when playing games, sounds like a hair dryer set on low, and produces about as much heat. Couldn't the richest man in the world put a team together that could design it better?

Edit: Sorry about the multiple posts.

12. macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

You've "had enough" because it froze a couple times? I'd hate to be around you using a PC....

And look at that! I don't think I've ever seen a quadruple post before... cool!

13. macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I think I've had enough of quadruple posts. Time to bring out the beatin' stick.

14. macrumors 6502a

I feel your 'freezing' pain.

God, it pisses me off. And I'm glad I get some refurb for my troubles...

To the guy that did get a refurb: How did they ship it? In that same, flimsy, joke of a box they send to place the 360 in and ship to them? Or do they actually protect it with packing materials and such when they mail it back?

Because there's no way in hell that my system is going to survive the trip back in that tiny cardboard box with no padding.

PM me or post here if you can. Thanks.

15. macrumors 68000

NATO

Your particular unit has a fault if it is freezing. However, that is NOT indicitive of all Xbox 360s, in fact mine has been perfect since launch day, as are others belonging to friends and family. There is not a massive problem with the Xbox 360 - all electronic products can fail. I suggest that rather than simply 'throwing your toys out of the pram' because it froze twice, either call Microsoft and arrange a replacement, or arrange a replacement through your retailer. You will receive a new console, and I hope you have as much fun with it as I do with mine.

The hardware/software is fine. It really is. There isn't a global conspiracy, It's just you have been unlucky to receive a faulty model, just like people around the world do every day when they buy cars, computers, electronic gadgets etc etc etc.

16. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Mine isn't a launch system as far as I know, I got it about March, and have not had any problems.

I haven't played Oblivion but I have had no problems with the following Xbox 1 games: Halo, Halo 2, DoA 3, Fable, Fuzion Frenzy. Nor any of the demos nor FN3 or Burnout Revenge. Which is to say, everything I have played on it.

I really think the Internet blows things out of proportion... a handful of people on this forum have had problems, and I see scattered reports other places... but the reports I've seen doesn't even hit 1,000.... and millions have been sold.

I agree with the other poster, it's not the software. You might also check to see if the power supply unit has any ventilation, make sure it's not surrounded and getting choked. PSUs are a very common problem for PCs so I don't see why an overheating PSU on 360 (the big gray block) would be any different.

17. macrumors 68000

sam10685

bill gates is pretty messed in the head i guess...

18. macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

That sucks that your 360 is crashing so much. :(

Great name and avatar though. ^.^

And yes, I do know what the name is from. :p

19. macrumors 603

aswitcher

A 360 is on the horizon for me but I think I'll wait for the price war in October November which should hopefully bring lower prices and better quality control (and maybe a more reliable cooling powerbrick) not to mention a HD drive option... Does anyone know when it will also be getting the smaller nm chips which should run cooler?

20. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I suppose anything is possible but I wouldn't hold your breath. Sony has given MS a nice price lead already, and they are ahead in production. That means by Oct/Nov MS will already be leading in price and quality over PS3, so they won't actually have a reason to change anything.

21. macrumors newbie

I agree with the previous poster. Don't expect a price war between those companies because 360 already set the bar. Also, Halo3 comes out the same time as ps3.

As far as the 360. Why not just upgrade the firmware and mod the 360?

22. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I'm going today to return it. Now I'm not sure whether I should swap it out for a new one or just get my money back. I guess it couldn't hurt swapping it out, even though I'd have to start over in oblivion, and lose the 8 hours I put into it. I'm just really annoyed that my $500 has landed me something less reliable than a equivalent priced PC. This is really the first time I've had such problems with a console, and I find it shocking, that these problems developed so quickly.

Hopefully, if they have others in stock, I won't get a dud this time.

23. macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I am actually pretty impressed in Microsoft's "brown coffin" they sent me. It had alot of protective padding and like I said, I've yet to have a problem with it since.

All of my friends that bought a 360 has had it break (pathetic, I know) but ever since they got there new unit it has worked absolutely fine.

24. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Well I think it's the luck of the draw even with PCs. I've built many many PCs and getting one or more part arriving bad or DOA is not that uncommon... so... good luck! ;)

25. macrumors 6502a

Get rid of it, get your money back and never buy anything from MS again. That company can't design a quality product. They remind me of GM, the largest manufacturer in their field, yet the worst quality and designs. I would wait for the PS3 or stick to computer gaming.