Alright Apple, it's time to kill the iPod photo

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, May 23, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Best article in quite a while. I couldn't agree more... :)

Merging the iPods and the iPod photos just makes sense.

3. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

4. macrumors 65816

narco

This guy talks a lot of crap, but every once in a (great) while he makes a good point. I've been saying this whole thing with the iPod photo for quite some time, but figured Apple would slowly transfer everything to the iPod photo sooner or later.

The name totally throws people off. When the (brainless) consumers go to a store and see the iPod photo, they're going to assume it doesn't play music. But people know an iPod plays music, so just keep the iPod name and add "view photos" as one of the featured bullet points.

But for me, I DO have thousands of songs (12,655 to be exact) so photos or not, I need the 60GB because I simply don't have enough room.

And yes, I DO need all 12,000+ songs with me at ALL TIMES.

Fishes,
    narco.

5. hob
    macrumors 68020

hob

I know the feeling :)

I think this article was pretty well written - at first I thought it was going to attack the iPod photo overall but when I realised what he was actually trying to say... totally makes sense!

6. macrumors G3

Actually already happening...

The current 30GB & 60GB models are being called "iPod Color" in some places...including on their packaging. I think part of the reason why is they no longer include the dock or the A/V cable needed to display the photos on a TV.

7. macrumors 68000

Lancetx

It's rather obvious that the entire iPod line is moving in this direction. There won't be a need for a "iPod photo" soon enough as they'll all have color screens with the exception of the iPod shuffle.

8. macrumors member

Pretty bold to state the obvious, and inevitable. Two weeks before it happens no less. Why not just wait till June 5th to reveal this idea. Whoever woulda thunked.

9. macrumors 68030

nbs2

512 KB shuffle...so compact...twice...need editing...

10. macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    But this way means thy can produce another article in a fortnight's time in the style of "Told You So" to the fanfare of them blowing their own trumpet.

11. macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

DUH! of cource apple is going to integrate the colour screen down the line starting with the normal white iPods. I mean eventually the mini will have a colour screen in a year or 2....oohhh maby I should write an article about that so I can take credit for being uber smart in 2 years!

I dunno I completly agree with this guys points and his logic it just kinda seems like he's pointing out the obviose.

12. macrumors newbie

60GB

Just bought me a 60GB ipod, haven't put one photo on it but did put 30+ GB of music on it.

Also, RIP my 2G 10gig iPod

13. macrumors G5

nagromme

I've got my photo library on mine, and music too, and also use it as a large but portable quick-backup/shuttle drive. But most importantly I need 60 GB so I can boot my own OS X and home folder on any Mac. Now THAT'S portable computing!

The photos and TV-out are great, but the main thing is the color UI. I love it.

Of course the color screen will move down the line. That began long ago with the re-branding of the Photo's pakaging, the elimination of the high-end non-Photo model, and the price drops.

One day a 10 GB color Mini will be the ultimate iPod I think! I'd snap one up.

14. macrumors 6502

was about to read this until the second paragraph came along... how can you take someones opinion seriously when they make this mistake twice.

"You've got the 512KB iPod shuffle, which is not only priced cheaper than any of its competitors, it's also priced cheaper than most 512 KB keychain drives that don't play music."

15. macrumors 6502a

iJaz

Meh, it has already been kind of discussed here... A long time ago. MacForums

16. macrumors 6502a

iJaz

Hmm, when they add it to the Shuffle I'll give you credit ;)

17. macrumors 6502a

y'know, i'm starting to think I disagree with this line of reasoning. They recently brought the photo majorly down in price, and sales continue to do poorly.

People aren't buying them because 3 times the capacity isn't something unless you can fill it, and it's to the point where few people need any more space.

And, as we've seen, extra features always seems to loose to the cool factor- the shuffle is almost feature-free, and doing wonderfully in the flash market, against competitors with fm tuners, all the rest. why? it's small, simple, and stylish.

The classic ipod isn't stylish anymore. It's just too big. Photos are nice, but not a major draw. That extra capacity-it's a small population that needs it.

What apple needs to do, is get the ipod smaller. They can get hitichi or some other drive maker to make a new size, a bit larger than the mini, larger capacity, but not nearly so big as the classic. Cut the capacity down to 10-30 GB, in the range of far more people's collections, and the size to just a bit larger than the mini. Add a little spice to the look, too.

Of course, you can never decrease capacity, so they might have to keep the old ones around but add video, or something. But the ipod needs to shrink, or else it will be taken over by the mini.

18. macrumors G4

Mord

this guy must have really small pockets, i keep my 3rd gen 20GB ipod with headphones my bus pass a swiss army knife and a pair of fold up pliers in my left pocket most of the time, heck i even have an ipod sized pocket inside the pocket on most of my pairs of jeans.

19. macrumors G5

nagromme

I guess it depends on your definition of "poorly." The highest-end player obviously has a smaller audience than lower-end players. That's not "poor" sales, that's natural.

20. macrumors 604

Lacero

Calling it the iPod photo was a mistake. It's basically a mp3 player with a color screen that happens to also show pictures, but should not be the main selling point. The price is also a bit inflated, considering the money you spend on an iPod photo 60GB, you can get a Mac mini, an XBox 360 or the PS3.

21. macrumors G3

puckhead193

Anyone think their will be a new design soon/new features like bluetooth, i hate looking for my stupid cable.

22. macrumors 65816

James Philp

Get a Leatherman?
    It seems obvious to me that all iPods will eventually have colour screens, and with that comes the opportunity to have any iPod as a photographer's tool (extra storage on holiday etc. - VERY useful), and view then on a television.

Big wow pal!

23. macrumors G5

nagromme

BTW, the iPod Photo 30 is currently the 6th best-selling music player at Amazon. The iPod Photo 60 is the 12th best-selling player.

Both of them beat the top-selling NON-Apple player, a heavily-discounted SanDisk flash player at #14. Above that it's all iPods and iPod-only accessories.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/new-for-you/top-sellers/-/electronics/13873631/ref=pd_ts_e_nav/

In fact, even if you look at ALL audio/video products combined (everything from DVD players to cameras to CD carry cases to home theater equipment to flash memory and thumb drives), the iPod Photo is still the #9 seller!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/new-for-you/top-sellers/-/electronics/1065836/ref=pd_ts_ldr/

Re price: the iPod Photo is the cheapest iPod per MB of storage. Miniaturizing that much storage has a price. You may as well compare an eMac to an iBook and say that Apple has inflated the iBook's price.

24. macrumors 6502a

It's time for iPod prices to come down. The new round of iPod TV spots have jumped the shark. I wish Apple the best but it's time for some changes.

25. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

I couldn't agree more. The iPod line is definitely in need of a shake-up to eliminate the self-upsell self-destruct that occurs now. Doing so will ultimately result in more iPod sales for Apple.