Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
If you've been here for more than a week or so, chances are you've seen an Apple/car company analogy, they've been compared to BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc, lets see if we can finally have an entire thread dedicated to this tired analogy, lets settle this once and for all!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
What's wrong with VW, Seat, Skoda, Hyundai, Suzuki, etc.?

And who wants to compare a car running Windows OS to a Mac. :eek:

Attachments

• bananafinish.gif
    bananafinish.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 1,157

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
BMW.

Definitely not a Saab. God I hate Saab's! They have to be the ugliest cars on the planet (Next to Kia's, and Daewoo's, and the Toyota Matrix, and most hibrid cars, etc.).

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Doctor Q that was good!

I would say Toyota, but a Venezuelan Toyota not a north american version.

See, in my ex-country Toyota produces the cars more fancy than in the US. A Corolla looks better than a BMW and the best thing is that those cars last for ever and they will never gonna let you down.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Macs are much like prestige cars.
+Nice to use
+Nice to own
+Go forever and a day
+Cost a nice sum more than the rest

Of course, at forever and two days - things go wrong - and to get them fixed - its going to cost you the earth (not that the US isnt trying hard enough in that arena).

Then again - you get to show off to your friends who don't really understand why you would spend so much money on an object that does the same job as their little suzuki (in Oz they are the lowest end car).

What we know is that they do it in style, they do it right first time, and you enjoy doing it with them.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by vniow
Hell, I dunno, I'm just tired of hearing people arguing over this analogy and I wanted a place where it could finally be settled...
NOW I get it. You wanted us to talk about it over here in the corner so you didn't have to listen to it where YOU are in all the other threads! ;)

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Originally posted by RBMaraman
BMW.

Definitely not a Saab. God I hate Saab's! They have to be the ugliest cars on the planet (Next to Kia's, and Daewoo's, and the Toyota Matrix, and most hibrid cars, etc.).

Hmm, you must hate to find out that BMW basically copied Saab's design back in the 90's.

BEN

PS. And yes, I meant that, I'm a Saab person. Have had a couple BMW's too.

manitoublack

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
A car like a computer is a tool (and nothing more )which is suppose to make our lives easier to live.

However a tool can be used in many differnt ways. I t can be used to construct, distroy, pass time, etc...

However the more you spend the less inclined you are to push the limits of what ever it is you purchased. For example if you bought a car for $500AUD or less you can have a great deal of fun and don't mind getting uder the hood and poking around. The same can be said for a cheap computer.

However If I were to buy a expencive car (~$200,000AUD) I would wash it every night, keep it under cover and not park on the street, I wouldn't go rally bashing and would only have it looked at buy a proper tech. The same can be said for an expencive computer, in this case and Apple mac.

The point is it doesn't really matter because $500 may be alot for one person, while chicken feed for another

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by RBMaraman
BMW.

have you seen this years 9-5 and 9-3? .... got i want one.

about 4 years ago ... Jobs talked about macs having 5% market share ... and he said that was more then BMW and Mercedes have combined ... and their doing great and he said ... 5% was okay by him

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
Whats the difference between BMWs and cactus?

Cactus has pricks on the outside. :p

(Joking, of course.) I was lusting after the M coupe a while back when they were still being made.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
The day computers start driving around and i mean the computer not a computer in a car . then thats the day i say Oh thats like a ???? Can you guess the missing words ??

------- ---- ----

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
iPod Minis are bicycles.

iPods are motorcycles.

iBooks and iMacs are coupes.

PowerBooks and Power Macs running Mac OS X are sedans.

Power Macs running Mac OS X Server are minivans/station wagons/SUVs.

Xserves are trucks.

My analogy is already strained, so I think I won't try assigning specific car models to specific Mac models!

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Dual PowerMac cust build: Aston Martins
Dual PowerMac regular: Bentely
iMac: Mercedes Benz, BMW, Lexus
eMac: Acura

PowerBook: BMW MotorCycle
iBook: Scooter

Add or delete and see if we can sort it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.