Alright, who's got their new 1GHZ TiBooks yet?

Discussion in 'Community' started by ljova.com, Nov 26, 2002.

1. ljova.com macrumors member

Hi guys -- well MacMall says "In Stock!' on the new 1GHZ powerbooks -- has anyone gotten theirs yet?

Reviews, please!

Cheers,

Ljova

2. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

3. ljova.com thread starter macrumors member

what do you mean by that? :)

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

As in COMBO CDR/DVD Drive rather than a SuperDrive :rolleyes:

5. aksmax macrumors member

Oh Yeah!!!

My loyal little Pismo bit the big one last week. I called my "local" Apple Store to see what they had in stock for iBooks, thinking the Powerbooks weren't going to be in for a few weeks. I was wrong!!! I went down and picked me up a spanky new PowerBook G4 1Ghz WITH Superdrive. Burned my first DVD last night. Worked awesome first try....well it did take 3 hours but who cares. Maybe I can improve that.

As for performance. Holy Cow. Everything screams. Even my broadband internet is faster. A lot faster. I had no idea my processor was holding me back. And I don't even need to mention my 8000 picture iPhoto library. It used to be painful. Now it's a joy. It actually opens and scrolls like it did when I had < 1000 pics. Can't wait to do an import. That was getting very sluggish too. Don't notice any reduction at all in airport reception from the Pismo. Obviously they've solved that issue.

Startups, launching, waking, printing. I just can't believe the speed difference. Everything works fast and smooth. Can't believe it. I finally see what the genie effect was meant to be.

Am I gushing? You betcha! I got teary eyed when I first watched iTunes visuals. Wow!

Check an Apple Store near you.

Allen

6. ljova.com thread starter macrumors member

Re: Oh Yeah!!!

Tell us, Allen, how's the heat? Does the computer get *very* hot?

Sounds great thus far.. will prolly order mine next week.

7. aksmax macrumors member

Better than my Pismo

Stays quite a bit cooler. Nothing more than warm to the touch. I'm thinking the metal dissipates the heat better than plastic. At any rate, I don't see any Dell lap blisters in my future. Phew!

8. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

Cancelled my order from Apple last thursday and ordered from SmallDog.

I got it overnighted so it didn't go out till friday. Paid $10 extra and got it last saturday. I had a 2-3 week wait time from Apple.

I would recommend looking elsewhere for a SuperDrived TiBook, Apple is shipping to retailers more heavily than shipping from their website.

BTW, this is my first Apple and I love it.

-jeff

9. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

heh, That sounds like my story. :) Except I ordered on Wednesday. :)

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

congratulations on your new apple's guys!

These sound too good to be true. I would really like to get one,
    too bad I have absolutely no money... Im sure y'all understand?
    Someone understands right... someone? anyone??!?!? .:D

11. ljova.com thread starter macrumors member

Apple Loan, man! :)

On the "ugh" side of the news, I just *called* MacMall about the 1GHZ-superdrive TiBooks (can somebody please why they're called TiBooks?) and they said "we're on backorder". I asked "Have you received any Shipments?" and they said "not yet." Funny, then, how their website says "Shipments begin Today" - for the past four days. Perhaps that free Printer they're offerin' isn't worth it afterall. They even tried to get me into pre-ordering one because "we're the #1 Mac Dealer and we get them first." Funny that.

Yes, will call SmallDog tomorrow! They're not taking orders 24/7, like MacMall, but if you lived your life in DogYears, I guess you'd need some time off.

(Disclaimer: Yes, I'm not affiliated with Smalldog.)

Best,

Lev

12. ljova.com thread starter macrumors member

Though .. to balance out the issue -- if it's true that Smalldog has the new models in stock, then what does this tell you about Apple's relationship with MacMall? Why would Apple ship systems to Smalldog before MacMall? MacMall is in CA, like Apple; Smalldog is in VT. Has General Cybernetics received their supply yet?

Spurious situation, hope somebody can clear up.

-Ljova
    (the PC user with no life .. er.. no laptop... err, slow Outlook :))

13. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

TiBook is called that because Ti is the symbol for Titanium. This is to distinguish it from the previous series of powerbooks, the black plastic ones.

This is speculation, but it seems plausible that the powerbooks are being flown in from Asia, so to land some of them on the East Coast shouldn't take longer than a few hours compared to landing them on the West Coast if they're drop shipped and don't have to clear Apple's warehouse. Speaking of clearing, air freight to the East Coast may even be quicker if it doesn't have to deal with the currently overburdened West Coast customs houses. Once again, theory but seems plausible.

14. ljova.com thread starter macrumors member

interesting theory.. oh well. :)

Ordered my PB from MacWarehouse (for $2905!) on Friday night, it was in stock at the time -- so should be arriving Tuesday. It was all set to arrive Monday, hwoever they were out of stock on the "Free 128mb Minidrive"... a little USB memorystick which comes bundled.. hence the little delay.

Meanwhile, I went to APple Store on Friday night and played around with the new 1ghz machine, it's awful nice. :)

Best,

Ljova

15. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I have yet to go to COmpUSA and test out a 1 GHz model. I sure
    do want to. My parent's business needs a new computer......
    maybe I will be going sooner then I thought. I love how the
    compUSA people try to block people from getting to the system
    folder and stuff just by not having the Macintosh HD desktop icon,
    but you can still click on the finder button in the dock and it will
    open that my computer thing, and you can get into the HD (And
    wherever else you want :D), and do stuff. Wow, I really wish I
    could afford one :(.

:D ;)

16. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    after a trip to the jewelry store for my little lady... i understand.

i need to do something about A) having no money or B) spending too much money.

a sounds good, but that requires a real job..... college is doing me fine....

does anyone know anyone who will pay anyone to go to college?
    somewhere in the low 6 digits would be nice.

drop me a line at idkew@iwish.com

17. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I'm glad someone understands.... I was getting worried :D.

18. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'm waiting for mine to ship... :(

Someone asked about General Cybernetics earlier...my order should go out "early December", and I ordered it 11/23.

I'll have to ask for a more well-defined date. ;)