Alt-2 for new posts: new feature?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by jsw, Oct 28, 2005.

1. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

As a result of bad karma, I have been forced to sit in a class 8 hours a day for the whole week here at work.

As a result of good karma, I've been given internet access during that class. ;)

As a result of a net balance of bad karma, though, I can only use a PC laptop in this class (or, for that matter, whenever I'm at work).

So, out of habit, I hit alt-1 to get new posts, as I've set up Command-1 to do that for me in Safari, and I did it out of habit as the keys are in the same place (just like I keep trying to double-finger-scroll on this trackpad... gah!! that PB feature is addictive).

Anyway, alt-1 takes me to the forums index, alt-2 takes me to the new posts, etc.

I would assume the same is true when using Safari, but I can't test that now (weeps).

Has this always been the case, or is it a new feature? I can see the source code and understand why it's happening... I just don't know if it's always been there, as I tend to be blind to many features.

2. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Hmm...never noticed this before - very useful, especially when work is tedious and I am feeling lazy, but I've got to hit enter as well (on a PC at the moment) - is this the same for you?

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My understanding is that in Safari, Cmd-1,2,3... are set to automatically activate the first, second, ... links that you have in your bookmarks bar. That's what they do for me. So my bookmarks bar happens to have a bunch of drop-downs in it, and then way, to the right, are MySpace, My eBay, and a couple of other bookmarks, and those are triggered via Cmd-1,2,... on my Safari. Are your links set up that way? Or if you don't use the bookmarks bar, are they the top links in your bookmarks list?

4. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

No, for me, alt-2 does it (as with alt-1, alt-4, alt-5, etc... but alt-3 seems to be mapped to nothing). No 'enter' required.

5. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yeah, I have Safari set up like that, and I know why ⌘-1 works there as a result... but this is on a PC, no bookmarks set up, and it's coded into the pages if you check the source. I assume it works w/alt on the Mac as well, just not sure.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, interesting. I just checked. In both Firefox and Safari, it *DOES NOT* work with the Alt/Option key, but it *DOES* work with the Ctrl key. :)

7. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Mavbe a browser related difference - I am using IE6, and my key mappings (all need to press enter afterwards) are:

Alt-1: Forum Index
    Alt-2: New Posts
    Alt-3: Thread Tools (when in a thread)
    Alt-4: Search
    Alt-5: FAQ

The rest don't appear to do anything.

8. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

In Safari:

Ctrl-1: Forum Index
    Ctrl-2: New Posts

Ctrl-4: nothing?

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

Ctrl-3 changes the view of the forum thread. Weird.

Nice catch on the Ctrl-2 (Alt-2) jsw. Very useful, since I'm always doing that.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Are you saying this is automatically programmed? Because it is not the case for me. Cmd 1, 2, 3,... go to my bookmarks.

11. emw macrumors G4

emw

Try Ctrl, not Cmd. It should work. I'm using Panther and Safari 1.3.1.

12. thomasp macrumors 6502a

Ctrl+1 = index.php
    Ctrl+2 = New Posts
    Ctrl+3 = Printer-friendly version of thread
    Ctrl+4 = Makes the search popup menu pop up (in the MR button bar, near the top of the forum)
    Ctrl+5 = FAQ

I also think things like Ctrl+S post your post