Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
As a result of bad karma, I have been forced to sit in a class 8 hours a day for the whole week here at work.

As a result of good karma, I've been given internet access during that class. ;)

As a result of a net balance of bad karma, though, I can only use a PC laptop in this class (or, for that matter, whenever I'm at work).

So, out of habit, I hit alt-1 to get new posts, as I've set up Command-1 to do that for me in Safari, and I did it out of habit as the keys are in the same place (just like I keep trying to double-finger-scroll on this trackpad... gah!! that PB feature is addictive).

Anyway, alt-1 takes me to the forums index, alt-2 takes me to the new posts, etc.

I would assume the same is true when using Safari, but I can't test that now (weeps).

Has this always been the case, or is it a new feature? I can see the source code and understand why it's happening... I just don't know if it's always been there, as I tend to be blind to many features.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Hmm...never noticed this before - very useful, especially when work is tedious and I am feeling lazy, but I've got to hit enter as well (on a PC at the moment) - is this the same for you?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
My understanding is that in Safari, Cmd-1,2,3... are set to automatically activate the first, second, ... links that you have in your bookmarks bar. That's what they do for me. So my bookmarks bar happens to have a bunch of drop-downs in it, and then way, to the right, are MySpace, My eBay, and a couple of other bookmarks, and those are triggered via Cmd-1,2,... on my Safari. Are your links set up that way? Or if you don't use the bookmarks bar, are they the top links in your bookmarks list?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Kernow said:
Hmm...never noticed this before - very useful, especially when work is tedious and I am feeling lazy, but I've got to hit enter as well (on a PC at the moment) - is this the same for you?
No, for me, alt-2 does it (as with alt-1, alt-4, alt-5, etc... but alt-3 seems to be mapped to nothing). No 'enter' required.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
mkrishnan said:
My understanding is that in Safari, Cmd-1,2,3... are set to automatically activate the first, second, ... links that you have in your bookmarks bar. That's what they do for me. So my bookmarks bar happens to have a bunch of drop-downs in it, and then way, to the right, are MySpace, My eBay, and a couple of other bookmarks, and those are triggered via Cmd-1,2,... on my Safari. Are your links set up that way? Or if you don't use the bookmarks bar, are they the top links in your bookmarks list?
Yeah, I have Safari set up like that, and I know why ⌘-1 works there as a result... but this is on a PC, no bookmarks set up, and it's coded into the pages if you check the source. I assume it works w/alt on the Mac as well, just not sure.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
jsw said:
Yeah, I have Safari set up like that, and I know why ?-1 works there as a result... but this is on a PC, no bookmarks set up, and it's coded into the pages if you check the source. I assume it works w/alt on the Mac as well, just not sure.

Ahhh, interesting. I just checked. In both Firefox and Safari, it *DOES NOT* work with the Alt/Option key, but it *DOES* work with the Ctrl key. :)

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
jsw said:
No, for me, alt-2 does it (as with alt-1, alt-4, alt-5, etc... but alt-3 seems to be mapped to nothing). No 'enter' required.

Mavbe a browser related difference - I am using IE6, and my key mappings (all need to press enter afterwards) are:

Alt-1: Forum Index
Alt-2: New Posts
Alt-3: Thread Tools (when in a thread)
Alt-4: Search
Alt-5: FAQ

The rest don't appear to do anything.

fayans

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
MacRumors: Forums
mkrishnan said:
Ahhh, interesting. I just checked. In both Firefox and Safari, it *DOES NOT* work with the Alt/Option key, but it *DOES* work with the Ctrl key. :)
In Safari:

Ctrl-1: Forum Index
Ctrl-2: New Posts

Ctrl-4: nothing?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
fayans said:
In Safari:

Ctrl-1: Forum Index
Ctrl-2: New Posts

Ctrl-4: nothing?
Ctrl-3 changes the view of the forum thread. Weird.

Nice catch on the Ctrl-2 (Alt-2) jsw. Very useful, since I'm always doing that.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Are you saying this is automatically programmed? Because it is not the case for me. Cmd 1, 2, 3,... go to my bookmarks.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
jessica. said:
Are you saying this is automatically programmed? Because it is not the case for me. Cmd 1, 2, 3,... go to my bookmarks.
Try Ctrl, not Cmd. It should work. I'm using Panther and Safari 1.3.1.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Ctrl+1 = index.php
Ctrl+2 = New Posts
Ctrl+3 = Printer-friendly version of thread
Ctrl+4 = Makes the search popup menu pop up (in the MR button bar, near the top of the forum)
Ctrl+5 = FAQ

I also think things like Ctrl+S post your post

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.