Altec Lansing FX6021's. Really that good?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by edesignuk, Feb 20, 2005.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I've seen quite a lot of setup pics where these speakers are showing up, they look great, and are quite expensive for computer speakers.

Who's got them? How are they? Worth it would you say?

I'm gonna have a googe for some reviews, but if anyone has any of their own, I'd love to hear them.

2. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Reviews are meant to be good, brill satellites but the bass is meant to be a bit boomy, but i am sure it sounds great at reasonible volumes.
    I have done a impulse buy, sold the Creatures i have and bought the Altec Lansings after reading a few reviews and just looking at them, they are gorgeous.
    Plus the cool extras is the remote and the seperate controller, having to turn on the Creatures at the back of the sub every day is annoying!

3. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm sure someone else must have these and can tell me if they really think they are worth the top ££££...

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I'm not a great fan of the "sattelite" design, there's too much vaugeness in the cross-over area and you're asking a lot of a sub to reach up to the hi-mids.

In addition the stereo image in the HF may be sharp, but it blurs badly in the MF and LF bands, wherever you place the sub.

You're better off with a good pair of bookshelf hi-fi speakers (KEF Coda's for instance) and a nice little amp.

Depends how serious you are about your audio.

I'm sure they sound fine with a 128K MP3.... :rolleyes:

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I have them for my powrebook. They are amazing. Sound is good, good bass, not like a rapper's car but good bass. Is it worth it, yea, if u got $300 to burn. My only complaint about them is that their tall, kinda looks out of place with a 15" powerbook if u have a new apple display it looks good

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i tested 'em out in a best buy one time, they sounded good to me, but it was a while back, but from everything i know Altec Lansing makes some of the best computer speakers, i love my ATP3 set, ive had them for about four years now and they are still going strong, never had any problems, i would see if there is a store you can go to and listen to them for yourself to see how you like them, they might even be up at the apple store

7. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I'm not to sure about those stick design speakers either, I agree that they might expect too much out of a sub. For the money you are talking you could probably look at Klipsch. I own a set of their Promedia 5.1's and their DD-5.1 decoder to match them. Of course thats for 5.1, you would probably be looking at one of these models.

http://klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=713 150USD
    http://klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=103 180USD

They also have a nice ipod solution.. mmm 200Watts of power for an ipod..
    http://klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=907 But I'm not sure if they have a line in so you can use them with a computer. But not available quite yet :'(

And if you happen to want portability, then try these
    http://klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=922 100USD

EDITED to include prices

8. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

9. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

The altecs? :'(

10. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You bet! :D

11. yinyang macrumors regular

12. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

13. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Just picked up my Altec's from the City Link depot and i have to say they are gorgeous and they sound just as good as they look, running them in atm but after about a day they will sound brill. The lil controller is great (sitting nicely below my imac) and having a remote again is fantastic.
    Just thought i would let you know that you haven't wasted 140 quid for sure, they are well worth the money.
    Bass is also good and responsive and keeps up with the music

14. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Just wondering -
    Is it better to set the imac's master volume at 100% and just vary the Altec's volume or is it actually better to kinda vary both volumes?

15. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I have the iMac set 2 blips from the top (I just got the FX6021's today :D). Sounds good to me!

16. iceTrX macrumors regular

If anyone still cares, the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound infinitely better and are cheaper. The logitech Z-5500 and Z-680s blow both away in terms of audio quality, audio power (1000 peak watts), and features (5.1 + Digital I/O + DTS/DD Receiver) and aren't that much more then Altec Lansing from a retailer like newegg.

EDIT: Yes I've tried and used all these sound systems including the Altec Lansing.