Altec-Lansing speakers are "hissing (static)" and ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by diehldun, Jan 15, 2007.

1. diehldun macrumors 6502a

I've had these Altec-Lansing ACS495 speakers/subwoofer since I got my Dell a few years back, and I've always seemed to have a problem with this hissing/static-like noise coming out from the speakers. Even when disconnected from the PowerBook, it makes the noise; it gets worse when I connect it via the headphone jack.

Sometimes, this noise gets so loud, it drives me absolutely nuts, and I end up using my PB speakers instead. I tried moving the subwoofer around to see if that caused some frequency problems, but that doesn't seem to work. I also tried moving the speakers away from the screen, and no luck there either. I don't know what to do; when I'm off to college, I'm going to get a new set, but meanwhile, I want to see what I can do with these at home.

Is this just a design defect, or am I supposed to move X away from Y? This problem has been bugging me for about 7 years, and I'm determined to find what's the problem! Thanks!

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

So does it do it all the time? If it does I would say that they are shot and just buy some new ones. Just make sure you do not have a cordless phone or any electronics near the setup and sometimes will cause interference. I know if I leave my Nextel cell phone near my speakers it will cause a hissing noise and will stop when I remove my phone..