Altec-Lansing speakers are "hissing (static)" and ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by diehldun, Jan 15, 2007.

1. diehldun macrumors 6502a

Nov 15, 2003
    I've had these Altec-Lansing ACS495 speakers/subwoofer since I got my Dell a few years back, and I've always seemed to have a problem with this hissing/static-like noise coming out from the speakers. Even when disconnected from the PowerBook, it makes the noise; it gets worse when I connect it via the headphone jack.

Sometimes, this noise gets so loud, it drives me absolutely nuts, and I end up using my PB speakers instead. I tried moving the subwoofer around to see if that caused some frequency problems, but that doesn't seem to work. I also tried moving the speakers away from the screen, and no luck there either. I don't know what to do; when I'm off to college, I'm going to get a new set, but meanwhile, I want to see what I can do with these at home.

Is this just a design defect, or am I supposed to move X away from Y? This problem has been bugging me for about 7 years, and I'm determined to find what's the problem! Thanks!
  2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Mar 30, 2005
    So does it do it all the time? If it does I would say that they are shot and just buy some new ones. Just make sure you do not have a cordless phone or any electronics near the setup and sometimes will cause interference. I know if I leave my Nextel cell phone near my speakers it will cause a hissing noise and will stop when I remove my phone..