Alternate AAC Player Question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by pjkelnhofer, Jan 7, 2004.

1. pjkelnhofer macrumors 6502a

Sep 8, 2003
    This is something I do not understand. If the AAC format used by Apple for iTunes and iPods is an "open" format, does that mean other manufactures could release players that are iTunes compatible? Is there a way that Apple could stop them? If iTunes exists mostly to sell iPods could this potential hurt Apple?
    Looking forward to finding out the answers.
  2. ginjg macrumors newbie

Jul 18, 2002
    there are aac players available by panasonic and several others. What makes the itunes purchased music unplayable is the drm wrapped on it.

As it turns out REAL is starting its own aac download service. They will be using thier own DRM for thier aac files, but thier player software purportedly will be able to play itunes purchased music by accessing quicktime under their software.

Since you can already set your itunes preferences to import your cd tracks in as aac (mp4) at rates of up to 320. They should be playable on any of the current aac enabled players on the market and the new ones soon to come.
  3. flipflash77 macrumors newbie

Oct 22, 2003
    Toronto, ON
    Re: Alternate AAC Player Question

"Open format" is a bit of a misnomer. AAC is a standardized format - much like MP3 - in that it comes from a standards consortium. Contrast that with WMA where Microsoft has full control of the format and I guess you can call it an open standard.

Technically yes, other manufacturers could make their player's AAC compatible, but the reason they don't is because you are required to pay a licensing fee to decode AAC files. That's why you don't really see too many new devices supporting AAC outside of Apple, Nokia, and a few other companies. Instead, companies like Rio are all starting to support Ogg Vorbis, and FLAC.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see more AAC compatible players. As much as I love the iPod, it is pretty expensive.
  4. ginjg macrumors newbie

Jul 18, 2002
    Alternate AAC Players

as i mentioned before
    Panasonic, iriver & others make and sell players that play aac file out of the box. Right now they're only available up to 256mgs and mostly expensive.

Most interesting is the Diva Gem:

Not only is it tiny, it come in 3 metallic colors (looks like apple isn't above mimicry either), it records and has optional bluetooth. It is windows only

It's available right now - you can buy the 128mg version from:

Built-in memory:
    • 16 - 256MB
    External Memory:
    • SD/MMC now up to 512MB
    Display Type:
    • Backlit Graphic LCD
    Audio Output:
    • Headphones stereo jack 32 Ohm
    Connection to PC:
    • USB 1.1. (USB 2.0 compatible)
    • Drivers: Win 98/Win 98 SE;
    • Driverfree with Win 2000/Me/XP
    • Li-Ion battery 3.6V / 450mAh,
    • embedded charger
    • DC input 5V/400mA USB PC Adapter
    • 86 x 32 x 20 mm
    • 25g (w/o battery)

Audio Player
    Decoder Engine: Audio DSP
    Formats Supported: MPEG1/2/2.5 Layer 3, AAC
    Bitrates Supported: 8-320 kbps, VBR
    Sample Rates Supported: 8- 48 kHz
    Equalizer: 4 fixed (pop, rock, jazz, flat), one 5-band custom

FM Radio
    Frequency Range: 87.5 - 108 MHz
    Presets: 20 (in 4 bands)
    Tuning: Auto/Manual
    Encoding: AAC 44.1kHz/128kbps or 22.05kHz/64kbps

Audio Recorder
    Input: FM Radio/Microphone File Format: AAC Sampling Rate: up to 48 kHz Modes: Manual/Voice Operation Recording Microphone: built-in, adjustable sensitivity