Alternate History 2: Steve Jobs Is Never Fired

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by drumpat01, Feb 3, 2006.

1. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

Ok all you analysts, here's another question for you. What would have happened if Steve Jobs had never left Apple to start with? Do we still have a world controlled by Microsoft? Do we see the iPod come much earlier? Does Apple still go to the IBM PowerPC chip or switch to Intel a long time ago? Would Apple have been able to pound Microsoft into the ground? Or do things still slip into the terrible mid 90s that we saw. Let me know.

2. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

My guess is that Apple gets torn apart. THere was so much in fighting and disagreement. It would have been messy. Ironicly, Steve being fired was the worst and best thing tha happened.

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I honestly think that Apple would have died. Like the previous poster said, there was so much fighting and disagreement. Plus, I think that leaving and establishing other companies helped focus Jobs' talent into what we have today. I am not sure that the Mac would be in the state that is today if Jobs hadn't left.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Steve hired John Scully as CEO in 1985 because Apple was in desperate need of "adult supervision." Scully brought the experience and discipline required to run a major corporation, but what he lacked was the vision for the future of technology that Jobs has always possessed. When the relationship between Jobs and Scully broke down, and Jobs departed, this was a bad day for Apple. The business end of Apple was run very well thereafter (some of Apple's most profitable years followed), but Scully never really had a strategic direction the company, so in that respect, it floundered.

Jobs and Scully could have made a very good team, had they stuck together. I think Apple would be a much stronger company today had the split never occurred.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Apple produces the best machines in the world, charges $10,000 each for the entry level model, and goes out of business in 1 year.

6. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

lol straight to the point.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Oy. I thought this might be at least a semi-serious discussion.

8. Timepass macrumors 65816

If steve Jobs was never fired apple would of gone under. I seen some infomation on it and from employees at apple at the time agreed that if Jobs need to go for a while. Yeah it hurt and it was a dark day since the guy who took over lack the vision that Jobs had. Jobs biggest problem is his ego. And that ego was destoring the company. Huge mistakes where made by him (spliting the apple 2 and the mac devoloment and causing a lot of tension and so on)
    In the long run it was a good thing Jobs was fired. He need to get away from having influnces on the company for a while. He was to personly involved. After while of not being with the company let it gets a buniness side in order. When they brought him back Apple corpate side was in order and the problem was it lack of vision. Jobs has a great vision but his corparpated mind is weak. Now apple is in good shape they have both. The only problem deals with DRM and apple not trying to push for a standard. Longer they wait the more likely M$ will be setting the standard for DRM

9. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

I watched Steve Stanford Commencment Address and he said the same thing basically. He hated being fired, but it needed to happen.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Are we forgetting...? Steve hired John Scully as CEO. I'm not sure what position Steve was in when Scully canned him, but Steve Jobs was not running Apple at the time, Scully was. So no, I don't see the factual basis for arguing that Apple would have gone under if Steve had stayed on, because, again, Steve Jobs was not running Apple at the time -- he'd hired John Scully to do that.