Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tommy0614

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
I find the OEM keyboard for my new Imac a little small. Are there any alternates that you are aware of? I am looking for a compact one in black. Thank you.

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
give it a try to this one, Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 for Mac, I read some very positive review on Ilounge and 9to5mac few month ago.

I'm currently using this keyboard and I can't recommend it. Coming over from Thinkpads with their extremely good keyboards I found both the Apple wireless keyboard and the K750 really bad. Maybe it's a question of getting used to it, but I just make too many typos when using them.

However the K750 is even worse than Apple's IMHO. It's made of cheap plastic, the aluminium looks come from a cheap looking foil that has partly losened now, making bubbles on the keyboard after no more than one month of using it.
The K750's layout however provides those keys that are missing on the wireless keyboard (i.e. a delete button) and a numerical block.

Too bad Apple doesn't sell a wireless version of their full sized keyboard. Again, it's form over function.

MEGrubb

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
Too bad Apple doesn't sell a wireless version of their full sized keyboard. Again, it's form over function.

The fact that the full size apple keyboard has a wire means that they prioritized form over function? I don't see how that applies here.

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
The fact that the full size apple keyboard has a wire means that they prioritized form over function? I don't see how that applies here.

Ok, you got me here...

I meant that Apple only provides a wireless keyboard with reduced functionality, but the larger keyboard with full functionality is not available with wireless.

Obviously they want their customers to purchase the smaller, less-functional wireless keyboard. Who wants a wired keyboard in 2013 ?

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
Who wants a wired keyboard in 2013 ?

Me. And a wired Magic Mouse too, which they don't make. I like to leave my hardware plugged in and not cycle through so many batteries (rechargeable or otherwise). Until we all have Mr. Fusion power packs that will run devices for a century, sometimes it's best just to plug things in.

MEGrubb

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
Obviously they want their customers to purchase the smaller, less-functional wireless keyboard. Who wants a wired keyboard in 2013 ?

I bought a 2012 iMac in December, and I chose the full wired keyboard. I prefer a wired mouse and keyboard for gaming.

Having said that, I don't use the Apple Keyboard or the Mighty Mouse...I just bought a Das Keyboard for Mac and I've used a Razer mouse for the last 5 years. I highly recommend both of these products for any gamers.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I was in Staples the other day and there is a line of iHome BT keyboards, in two sizes. They look similar to Mac standard models.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
I went through a bunch of keyboards getting my MBP. I really like the full sized wired keyboard, it's pretty reasonable for $50.00. I did not like the arrows on the mbp keyboard, way too cramped, and the wireless keyboard was very hard to type on, everything is so pinched. I also like the dedicated home/end/pgup/pgdn keys.

Val K

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
Italy
i wish apple would sell a BT numpad keyboard, i have the wired one but i prefer wireless! I wonder why there is not such a keyboard, what's the reason?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
OK, it's not small and it's over 23 years old, but it works great on my iMac:

attachment.php

Northgate Omnikey 102

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.