alternate ps3 controller - like 360?

Discussion in 'Games' started by aholden12592, Jan 25, 2007.

1. aholden12592 macrumors regular

Oct 16, 2006
    So not to start a rant about either console. But I was just wondering does anyone know if there are any 3rd party controllers soon coming out for the ps3 that are near the design of the 360 controller? I went over to my friends house and he has a 360 and it is great. the triggers and everything flows really well.
  2. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Feb 9, 2006
    USA, KS
    I definitely agree the 360 controller obliterates the PS3 controller in just about every way.

I haven't seen any 3rd party solutions to improve this, though. :\
  3. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Hopefully some nice hackers or even Sony will open up the PS3 to support any joypad.

*haha. wow already there.
  4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
  5. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Sep 7, 2006
    Heck, the 360 pad is USB, so there's no technical reason the PS3 couldn't support it.

I have to disagree about it being better though. It has a TERRIBLE d-pad. The worst I've used on any mainstream console, which IMO makes it inferior to the PS3 pad.

What I like ab out the 360 setup though is that they have wired controllers available (with really long cords!) and if you want wireless for some reason, there's lots of ways to power it (versus the PS3 that only charges when connected to a USB port, and only when the system is on, and non-replaceable batter, etc.)

Anyway they're both good pads IMO except for the 360's d-pad.
  6. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Heh, but how many games use the D-pad with any prolonged use or intricate way? All I've seen it used for is menu, camera and weapon switching (real time too :D :D :D ).
  7. T-Stex macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2006
    Exactly. While I do agree that the PS3's D-Pad is superior to the 360's, I don't use the D-Pad on my 360 controllers nearly enough to be frustrated by it. Overall, I think the Xbox 360's controllers are much better than the PS3's, and hopefully there will be quality alternatives to the PS3 controller.
  8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    O...M...G... Realtime?!?! :eek:
  9. Spartacus macrumors member

Nov 28, 2004
    I never really did play any 'last generation' games, so I've got a noob question: How long did it take the PS2 to get third party controllers? I know the Xbox 360 doesn't even have any yet, (right?) and that probably has to do with them being wireless and propriety concerns. I'm most interested in the PS3's left analogue stick being moved to where the 360's is. That would be so much more ergonomical. Did this ever happen on the PS2?
  10. iEdd macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2005
    If anyone has ever played Perfect Dark Zero on 360 they will know what arse the d-pad is. Sometimes you have to "bluff", "charm" or "threaten" an enemy using the d-pad. You reach down to press left without looking, but it bumps diagonally left/up, which counts as up and screws you over :mad:
  11. aholden12592 thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 16, 2006
    i had a logitech wireless for ps2. pretty much same thing just wireless and a little bulkier. i dont believe and third party controller really changed the layout of controls for ps2
  12. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    The 360 controller is very comfortable. It's very sleek and everything feels placed right were it should be.
  13. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Aug 23, 2003
    Fort Myers, FL
    The only third party controller out there that I know of is the forthcoming Nyko Zero for the PS3. It can't get here soon enough. I despise the Sony controller's R2 & L2 triggers. F1 Championship is almost here and since we'll be able to steer wirelessly from the couch with SIXAXIS functionality (which Zero supposedly supports) I'll have to use R2 & L2 for gas and brake. Not sure yet how I'm gonna shift gears :cool: