Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Looking for a 27" display to use, primarily, with a 2011 MacBook Pro. I'd get an Apple Thunderbolt Display in a shot (I use a 27" ACD at work), except I still want the flexibility of plugging in other computers, including my non-Thunderbolt work MacBook and my old Mac Pro.

The HP ZR2740W looks like a candidate: probably not in the same league as the Apple displays, but somewhat cheaper.

However, has anybody had any experience of using the HP ZR2740W monitor with a Mac? Specifically: does the DisplayPort input work with a Thunderbolt MacBook Pro (using a Mini-to-full DisplayPort cable)?

I ask because I have a HP LP2475W and that doesn't work properly with TB Macs over Displayport (this is well documented on-line: something goes wonky with the colour correction/anti-aliasing so it looks low res). Its fine with a mDP-to-DVI adaptor, and thankfully the LP2475 has more inputs than you can shake a stick at so it doesn't matter much. With the ZR2740, however, there is only 1xDVI and 1xDP, so not being able to use DisplayPort would be a setback.

The other candidate is the Dell U2711 - does anybody have that working on a Thunderbolt Mac?

P.s. I'm open-minded on the glossy vs. matte issue: I use both and its swings&roundabouts. I have, however, heard that the antiglare coating on the Dell is a bit over-the-top...

(Aside: is it true that the only display you can daisy-chain from an Apple TB display is another Apple TB display...?)

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
The other candidate is the Dell U2711 - does anybody have that working on a Thunderbolt Mac?

I am using a Dell u2711 at work. I have it connected to my Lenovo X201 docking station with a display port connector. I also have it connected to my 2011 MBA with a mini-displayport to dual link DVI adapter.

I am using 2560X1440 with both the X201 and the MBA.

/Jim

theluggage

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I also have it connected to my 2011 MBA with a mini-displayport to dual link DVI adapter.
/Jim

That's useful to know. Also reminded me that I'd need the dual-link DVI adaptor, not the regular one, for a 1440p display (the reviews of that on the Apple store are a bit iffy)

Anyone have any luck with a u2711 or HP 2740 , Thunderbolt Mac and a mini-to-maxi DisplayPort lead (which would be a neater solution)?

If you like the ACD then why not buy one?

I love the ACD at work - but I only ever plug my work-owned 2010 MBP into that. At home, I have a 2011 MBP and various other machines so I'd prefer more flexibility. At a minimum, I'd need to get the "obsolete" DisplayPort ACD (which chafes a bit) so I could at least swap between my home and work MacBooks, and use my older display for everything else. That's certainly an option - but I'd prefer multiple inputs on my main display.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
That's useful to know. Also reminded me that I'd need the dual-link DVI adaptor, not the regular one, for a 1440p display (the reviews of that on the Apple store are a bit iffy)

The reviews might be iffy... but I have never had a problem. I also use a mpd tp dual-link DVI adapter with a 30" 2560X1600 HP monitor with three dual link DVI inputs.

Anyone have any luck with a u2711 or HP 2740 , Thunderbolt Mac and a mini-to-maxi DisplayPort lead (which would be a neater solution)?

If I remember right... my Lenovo X201 docking station only has DP and VGA outputs... so I used the DP input on the U2711 for the X201. I *THINK* I tested a mdp to DP connection using my MBA but I am not 100% positive. As mentioned above, using the DP input for X201 was the best solution for me.

Like you, I picked the U2711 because of my need to connect more than one computer to the monitor.

I have since purchased a ATD for the house, and I often connect my MBA to it when I need a larger screen. I really enjoy the ATD quite a bit. I also bring it with me to the coast when I work from my beach condo. I expect to buy a new iMac when the '12 model is introduced. I will probably also use the ATD to give myself a dual 27" monitor configuration.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Thanks for the feedback.

I found this link in another thread that might explain the DisplayPort issue:

http://www.manualowl.com/m/NEC/P241W-BK/Manual/223632

...so maybe I'll try a different MDP-to-DP cable with my existing HP 24", which might give me the confidence to go for the Dell.

Meanwhile, I've re-arranged my (physical) desktop a bit and I might slum it with my tiny 24" display for a bit longer...

rowets

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
HP Works well

I've just got the HP ZR2740 running on my MBP 2010, had issues with running over DVI (my old mini display port - DVI converter from apple doesn't work very well) but got everything working fine using mini display port to display port cable

Jhowland

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ
Maybe I'm missing something here but the setup that I would go with is as follows

Dell U2711 as monitor connected to the MacBooks (one at a time) over the mini DP to dual link DVI adaptor, because this adaptor also extends USB you can almost use the U2711 like a TBD and have all your peripherals premantly pluged into the display and just unplug/plug in 3 cords each time you come to/go from your desk (MagSafe, mini DP and USB) and you'd be good to go. With the U2711's 2nd dvi port you could have your mac pro pluged in premantly as well.

Hope this helped

Jacob

RastaFeri

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012
Thanks for the feedback.
...so maybe I'll try a different MDP-to-DP cable with my existing HP 24", which might give me the confidence to go for the Dell.

Meanwhile, I've re-arranged my (physical) desktop a bit and I might slum it with my tiny 24" display for a bit longer...

So how did it go with the cable? Is there any particular cable out there, which worked? If yes, could you provide some more info?

I am also considering buying this monitor and using it with macbook pro.

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
It should work with a standard displayport to mini displayport cable without issues... The HP is a very stripped down display, much like the Thunderbolt display, and has no on screen display for its controls... Just brightness & input I think, and no visual confirmation of where your brightness is at, I think the display light in the corner blinks 3 times when you are at max...where the u2711 has full onscreen display for brightness, sharpness etc... I've heard the HP works though w/ the keyboard brightness controls on OS X (from newegg review), but am not entirely sure about that.... They pretty much all use the same (or very similar) LG IPS panels, but many people feel VERY strongly about the glossy factor on the Thunderbolt Display & the matte AG coating on the Ultrasharp & HP, many people feel all the displays are ruined in some way or another..
I sold one of my TB Displays for similar incompatibility reasons (the other one has yet to sell) so there is a reasonable chance on Friday when the Ultrasharp is allegedly going to arrive, I will be able to shoot a video of them side by side. I'll link it here w/ my impressions if you'd like.

Rorlow

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'm using a LG Flatron W2442PA as a secondary display attached to my 27" imac via DVI and it looks pretty good, but anything other than a apple display next to the newer imacs IMO looks like a lower quality picture.

and no, that's not my car . . .

Attachments

• IMG_0703.jpg
    IMG_0703.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 603

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
I'm using a LG Flatron W2442PA as a secondary display attached to my 27" imac via DVI and it looks pretty good, but anything other than a apple display next to the newer imacs IMO looks like a lower quality picture.

and no, that's not my car . . .

um, that's a 24" 1080p TN panel, no surprise there..

theluggage

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
So how did it go with the cable? Is there any particular cable out there, which worked? If yes, could you provide some more info?

I'm having difficulty finding anything other than the StarTech mdp-to-dp cable (which I currently have and doesn't work with my HP monitor) for sale here in the UK.

I've temporarily cooled on the idea of getting a 27" monitor... However, you'll see several people in this thread saying that the Dell 2711 works fine with the Apple dual-link DVI adapter (not the regular one).

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I currently use a Dell U2412M with my TB MBA and Mini and it works perfectly fine via a miniDP-->DVI adaptor. I am now planning to buy a 27" Dell 2711, but I didn't realise I needed to get the dual-dvi adaptor for 2560 x 1440? I always thought the dual dvi adaptor was only necessary for 2560x1600 displays like the 30" Dell or old ACD. :confused:

theluggage

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Resolved

Some unsung hero has produced a fix for this here.

The thread talks about Dell monitors, but a few posts down there's a script that will generate the required override file for any monitor with this problem.

Works fine with my HP LP2475w.

Jimbo19

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2016
Hi, I got exactly the same problem : I use a macbook Retina with a HP ZR2740w monitor, plugged with a MDP to DVI adapter. The monitor appear at the Monitor Options it show me only one resolution = 1280*720 while an can normally get 2560*1440.

I see the universal Script, but before to use it, will it work will I still using a MDP to DVI adapter ?
Can someone confirm if I use a MDP to DP cable it will work without using the fixe ?

Thx a lot

everlast1

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2014
Thanks for the feedback.

I found this link in another thread that might explain the DisplayPort issue:

http://www.manualowl.com/m/NEC/P241W-BK/Manual/223632

Link to manual didnt work for me (404 error)
I found other source, if someone will have the same problem
http://www.manualsworld.net/manual/377209/nec/p241w-bk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.