Alternative Apple remote control?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iW00t, Nov 17, 2006.

1. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I just bought an EyeTV receiver today, one of the new models, and these new ones don't come with their own remote any more. Guess it is time to take the wrapper off my Apple remote. Still I was wondering if there are alternative third party remote controls that would work with Macs. I don't really like the Apple versions cause they are just so small.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Just about any programmable remote should work (the kind that "learn" from another). I have NoviiRemote running on my Palm T|X - added an "Apple Remote" to it (along with all my a/v equipment).

3. iW00t thread starter macrumors 68040

iW00t

Ahhh I didn't know that. Wow these remote controls are expensive, it might even be cheaper to buy an out of date Palm for the job.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Might be, 'cept Novii Remote was $35. :( I splurged, since universal remotes are for the most part cheaper than that. But, I'm glad I did. I have a remote designed the way I want it - I have 3 devices on one screen, and don't need to hit a button to switch between them. It also has tabbed screens, so I can switch between groups, like Main, DVD, Amp, etc. Each with it's own set of screens.

If you're going to have a Palm (or other PDA) anyway, it's worth it. Not sure I'd get one just for the remote, tho. That just me, though....

5. alnino2005 macrumors newbie

Use Omniremote

Here is a link to what I went through getting around having to buy an Apple remote. I'm using OmniRemote on a Handspring Visor. The IR isn't very strong on the PDA, but the MacBook sensor is pretty sensitive--I was able to use it from about 25 feet away.

http://alnino2005.googlepages.com/palmappleremote

Hope this helps!