Alternative (cheaper) monitors

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gatorron, Aug 22, 2004.

1. gatorron macrumors regular

Aug 14, 2004
    I risk scorn by asking this question, but I would like to know if others have bought a power mac and non-Apple monitors. If so, which models, and do you recommend it?

I am preparing to make a decision between a iMac G5 w/20" monitor (assuming it will be offered when revealed at the Paris Expo) versus getting the low-end Power Mac (1.8 Dual G5). If I like the new iMac, the choice is over. However, if it doesn't thrill, then I'll go the Power Mac route, but money is limited.

I need a 19" or larger monitor to relieve eyestrain. If I get Apple's 20-inch monitor, that's $1200 to $1300. Many alternative 19" brands can be had for $600 to $800, making the total cost (PM + monitor) close to what the iMac is expected to cost, and sacrificing only 1" on the screen.

I don't want to be a traitor to Apple, but the monitor cost puts the PM cost out of reach. So any advice would be welcome...I'm placing the order (either the iMac or PM) the day the iMac is revealed.

2. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    i am in your boat. . . the apple monitors rock, but are freakin expensive. . . i have used a 19" CRT for a few years now and before that i had a different 19" CRT. . . cant tell you what brand, i just go for the generic off brand at the big electronics outlet store (fry's). unless you are doing ultra advanced video or image work then a cheap CRT will get the job done. as for flat pannel the ever so popular dell actually makes (or puts their name on) some decent flat panel monitors. again not for top of the line video quality but they will get the job done. so. . . find what is cheap and use it, it will likely out-last the life of the powermac you get. (that or youll eventually save enough for a killer apple monitor and can toss the cheap one and wont feel bad :) )
  3. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2003
    Actually, it's a pretty common thing to do. I've heard good thing about Formac, Samsung, Sony, and (suprisingly) Dell. If you really want to save some cash, go CRT. It's big and bulky, but you get good picture and save lots of money.
  4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    Dell's monitors are manufactured by Sony, and are quite good. They usually have a consumer (cheaper) version, and a more "pro" model with better resolution.

Lee Tom
  5. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2003
    New Jersey USA
    I use Formac and Samsung and I am happy with both for LCD. For CRT Mitsubishi and Sony are both excellent.

Stay away from Coronoa, in my experience these budget monitors are always failing, look fuzzy and have bad pixels.
  6. beatle888 macrumors 68000

Feb 3, 2002
    you know what i dont understand, why is everybody so into LCD's? text on an LCD is horrible, regardless if its an expensive apple monitor or not. CRT monitors are still better when your talking about clarity. it sucks cause i love the small footprint but CRT clarity is just so much better.

personally, i love apple. even when they piss me off with simple problems they should address but dont (OSX mail app and keychain not playing nice with each other). but after ten years of using macs i never once bought an apple monitor. and i cant believe they dont offer a CRT solution since they cater to graphics professionals. sorry, cant get over the text issue and in the graphics profession you get a lot of designers who just LOVE type. to see it all rough and blurry is a turn off especially when your bleeding 2000+ for the display. and i dont want to hear any fan boys telling me different. ive seen the new displays, i was sorely disappointed. i scrutinize image quality for a living and CRTs are clearer period.
  7. Aaon macrumors 6502

Jun 30, 2004
    If you ask me, the best thing to do would be to head over to your local computer store and look at all the monitors on display, preferably with the same image displayed on each. Remember, the monitor is the part of the computer that you stare at the entire time, so don't skimp! I own an Sony Trinitron 19", which has a flat tube, and the image quality is fantastic, well worth the slightly higher price over a standard CRT. I have been debating getting an LCD monitor, mainly to free up a ton of desk space, but I still have concerns about ghosting and resolution. If I do make the plunge to LCDs, I think the 20" Apple display is the one to get. It simply has the best quality of any LCD that I have seen.

Hmm. I'm not sure I actually made any sort of a point in that paragraph. :p

8. gatorron thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 14, 2004
    Thanks for the responses.

Beatle: You make a great point about the CRT type quality, but my desk space is limited and I can't expand, so LCD is my direction. Plus, CRTs contain large quantities of lead (PB), so they are becoming an increasingly troublesome environmental issue. I've lived with the difference for years now, as I've used a Sony laptop w/15" LCD since 2001, so I'll forego the type quality for saving real estate on my tiny desk.

Aeon: I've started doing that, and so far I've liked the Viewsonic and Samsung. Good idea to show same image on each.

Any strong recommendations are welcomed, and thanks to those who provide information on models to avoid.
  9. beatle888 macrumors 68000

Feb 3, 2002
    well then....if THATS the road your gonna take ;)

i know its important to have a TFT LCD. try and get one with the brightness and contrast ratios close to apples since they seem to be the best. you should be able to get the apple specs from their site. i do love the LCDs form factor, very nice.
  10. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    don't forget lacie CRTs. i personally have a 19" sony, but i heard sony is stoppping all CRT production expect the Artisan line, which a studio quality display.