Alternative for Airport Extreme cards?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Depili, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Depili macrumors newbie

Nov 20, 2003
    As I'm thinking of buying a new iBook I'm just wondering, are there any other wireless cards that install in the airport extreme slot, as I would like to have linux drivers for the wireless card and Broadcomm (the manufacturer of the AE chipset) is refusing to give out any documentation making writing drivers quite hard.
  2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    Basically none. It is an Apple Propietary slot and on an iBook you do not get PCMCIA. sorry.
  3. Depili thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 20, 2003
    too bad, since there ain't many usb wireless cards with linux support on ppc either, seems like I have to settle to using the wlan only from osx.

Too bad that you can't install normal airport cards to a airport extreme ready laptops :/
  4. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

Sep 15, 2003
    St Helens, UK
    Not stricltly true, the slot is a Mini-PCI connector. I've seen a few of these in older Samsung laptops with ORRiNOCO Wifi cards. But im my opinion you wont get a non-apple card in could try but you'd just risk causing damage to your self or even worse your ibook.

yah its a propietary layout for the connector, but the interface is standard:

[edit again]

Yup, just checked on a hardware inventory site...nicely listed as:

- Apple MiniPCI Card Model# AirPort Extreme