Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crusoe

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2014
Hmmmm.... I am sitting in front of Outlook 2003 (on my work PC) and I am unable to change the title of a received email. Is this a setting? While this may not be possible on iOS, your best bet is to create smart filters or use a smart filter service to parse your emails so you know everything in a folder is an "order".

I'm running 2010, although it worked on previous versions too. You just open the received email, and either highlight and overwrite the subject, or click next to it to append text.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Most likely this editing is happening only on your local copy of the email in Outlook. The actual email on the email provider's server must be retaining the original subject.

I'm running 2010, although it worked on previous versions too. You just open the received email, and either highlight and overwrite the subject, or click next to it to append text.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Does the Outlook/Spark app notifies the user that their credentials will be stored on third-party servers and ask for the permission. Cloudmagic notifies that it stores emails on their servers and that was one of the reasons I chose Outlook and Spark.

Your email thread is very helpful, I suggest you move it to iOS Apps section instead of ios 8 to be more visible... Mods would be able to do that.

Spark and Outlook and many others don't specificly mention it when you install the app if that is what you mean. Outlook definitely stores your e-mail on third party servers without saying so (see also this blog post regarding Outlook and security). Spark did wrote this blog about their app and security and the use of third party servers (Amazon AWS in their case) / push. A quite in response on a different blog post Readdle stated "Since we are fans of security, everything is done on your app side." But I think if you want to use push e-mail you are still allowing them to use AWS in this case for your account.

I do know that e.g. Airmail mentions it in their App Store description ("Airmail does NOT store your messages on our servers.Server processing is very limited and performed only if users enable push notifications.".

As far as security and privacy is concerned I think it's best to go with Apple's mail app then you don't have a lot of options or you could use Airmail or Spark without push.

I agree with you that it would be good to have this e-mail topic to be available in the general iOS Apps area. I've mentioned it before in this topic so people should be able to find it but indeed it would be better to combine the two topics maybe. When I have time I will send a request to one of the admins.

Crusoe

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2014
Most likely this editing is happening only on your local copy of the email in Outlook. The actual email on the email provider's server must be retaining the original subject.

You'd think so, but this is a corporate Outlook setup, so I don't have a separate local mailbox.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
In Airmail is there anyway to get rid of certain default folders I don't want?

Readdlemate

Suspended
Jan 26, 2009
@Readdlemate, Few observations after using the Spark app for about a week: Badge app icon still doesn't update properly. I keep Background app refresh off but the app is open in the multitasker. When I receive a new email I have to open the app and it shows the new email but no badge icon, so close the app and open again and close and then it shows badge icon but that too after a while.
I tested both the Spark and Outlook with background refresh off and apps open in mulltitasker, Outlook shows the badge icon almost immediately while Spark needs to open-close couple of time to update

[QUOTE="Readdlemate,
Readdle Team
[/QUOTE]

We're very sorry for the delay in reply and this issue, but our team is working on big update to Spark which will greatly improve badges. Hope you'll enjoy it very soon:)

best regards,
Readdle Team

Reactions: adrianlondon

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Using Airmail and love it. Anyone have 2 iOS devices and having issues with the badges? They don't update until I open the app, so I check the my Mail on my iPhone and th ipad shows I have new mail until I open the app. Is this an iOS limitation or do I have to change something to make it work.?

trikotret

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2015
This ap

The reviews look very suspicious. Three 5-star reviews for an app that was only released yesterday, all talking about how it's transformed their lives and work? Hmm.

The people who posted those reviews are probably the beta testers. I am running this app and I am impressed so far for an early release. There are a few recommendations I emailed them. But it is indeed has fast synch.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Using Airmail and love it. Anyone have 2 iOS devices and having issues with the badges? They don't update until I open the app, so I check the my Mail on my iPhone and th ipad shows I have new mail until I open the app. Is this an iOS limitation or do I have to change something to make it work.?

I now also use Airmail as my main e-mail app on my iPhone and iPad.
Did you set it correctly within:
- open Airmail app > Settings > Workflow > Badge > e.g. Unread (my setting)
- open Apple Settings app > Notifications > Airmail > allow badges
- open Apple Settings app > General > Refresh in background > allow Airmail (I'm not sure if this is needed though, it was needed for Spark)
My badges show correctly on iPhone and iPad but indeed the sync to show the badge (when you read an e-mail on one device) isn't instant as it is with other e-mail apps such as Outlook but they check it differently.

I do love the UI from Spark more but they have still badge icon issues (now also with the beta app again).

Reactions: jjk454ss

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I now also use Airmail as my main e-mail app on my iPhone and iPad.
Did you set it correctly within:
- open Airmail app > Settings > Workflow > Badge > e.g. Unread (my setting)
- open Apple Settings app > Notifications > Airmail > allow badges
- open Apple Settings app > General > Refresh in background > allow Airmail (I'm not sure if this is needed though, it was needed for Spark)
My badges show correctly on iPhone and iPad but indeed the sync to show the badge (when you read an e-mail on one device) isn't instant as it is with other e-mail apps such as Outlook but they check it differently.

I do love the UI from Spark more but they have still badge icon issues (now also with the beta app again).

Thanks. I had everything correct, but last night I uninstalled/reinstalled on both the iPad and iPhone and it appears to be working. Although delayed like you mentioned. Thanks for the help.

dpovolo

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2016
I wish Airmail and Spark supported Exchange Active sync, then I could have tried them myself. I was sold on going Airmail but can't use it

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I just setup Outlook to test, but I send myself an email and I don't receive it. Miss there anything about setting it up with gmail I need to do special? Besides the enable IMAP?

DJLAXL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2014
UT
Outlook and Spark worked best for me. Spark is good, but the SPAM filter simply doesn't work. As many times as I flag something as Spam it still shows in my inbox. Is there a swipe for Spam in Outlook?

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Outlook and Spark worked best for me. Spark is good, but the SPAM filter simply doesn't work. As many times as I flag something as Spam it still shows in my inbox. Is there a swipe for Spam in Outlook?

Give Airmail a try and you won't switch anymore it has most of the features I want. A costs a few euros/dollars (once) but well worth it.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Jan 26, 2009

Do you use the latest version? We'd be glad to take a look at this issue. Could you please contact our team at helpspot@readdle.com? Thanks!

best regards,
Readdle Team

rodknocker

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Strange that only one person mentioned myMail

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mymail-free-email-app-for/id722120997?mt=8

There are multiple mentions about AirMail, SparkMail, Outlook and CloudMagic.

Non of these apps offers new mail badge for subfolders. Only one of these apps offers push notifcations for subfolders (CloudMagic). myMail does offer these both very essential things. It is also very fast and got a clean/simple UI.

Maybe myMail doesn't offer as many features (like Snooze, etc.) as the other apps, but the basic functions like read email/write/organize are really very good.

I use it because i like to get push notifications for all of my new E-Mails, but i don't like to have my battery drained in the way like Push Mail with Apple Mail does it. There is a noticable difference btw. the usage of a push notifcation E-Mail Client and Push Mail with Apple Mail.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Strange that only one person mentioned myMail
Non of these apps offers new mail badge for subfolders. Only one of these apps offers push notifcations for subfolders (CloudMagic). myMail does offer these both very essential things. It is also very fast and got a clean/simple UI.

Maybe myMail doesn't offer as many features (like Snooze, etc.) as the other apps, but the basic functions like read email/write/organize are really very good.

I use it because i like to get push notifications for all of my new E-Mails, but i don't like to have my battery drained in the way like Push Mail with Apple Mail does it. There is a noticable difference btw. the usage of a push notifcation E-Mail Client and Push Mail with Apple Mail.

I've tried it but due to a lack of a few essential features like snoozing, attaching the actual files (in my opinion) I'm sticking with Airmail for now see also my comparison sheet. I do like it that myMail and Outlook do show the attachments above a message I would also like to see that option with more third party e-mail clients.

Does myMail nowadays have the option to:
- attach an actual file instead of a link to a cloud storage file?
- attach multiple files in one go?

officelurker

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2009
This might have been mentioned before with Airmail: it takes ages to sync messages from my Gmail account. I have set the limit to 10,000 messages in Gmail IMAP settings but Airmail downloads about 2000 and sits on it. Problem with this is search is basically useless unless all messages are downloaded or synced. Trying to search it gives you a message saying 'Search is incomplete...initializing'.

Yes I selected "initialization to Fast'...yes I rebuilt my database. I have done this 5 or 6 times deleting the app and all its libraries and folders too. But same issue.

Mail and Outlook dont have this problem. Sadly, these two apps are basically unusable for me.

childoftheko4n

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
I just setup Outlook to test, but I send myself an email and I don't receive it. Miss there anything about setting it up with gmail I need to do special? Besides the enable IMAP?

Have same issue on iPad only, but with my iCloud email

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.