alternative medicine

Discussion in 'Community' started by indifference, Jan 23, 2005.

1. indifference macrumors regular

hey I was wondering, has anyone studied alternative medicine, or had experience with yoga, pilates which is like yoga and hard workouts, etc,

2. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Well a guy at my work believes in Christian Science- and as a result is now permanently crippled in his foot for not seeking real medical attention. :rolleyes:

3. oreomac macrumors member

I'm studying it at the moment, as part of the requirements of the nursing course I'm taking. It is somthing that is seen to be used in addition to traditional medicine.

I've done yoga in the past, but found boring, & it didn't do anything for me.

4. unfaded macrumors 6502

My suitemate is a chi healer. I'm a very scientific person, and after somethings that I have seen, do believe in it to a certain extent. However, I do believe their are underlying unknown scientific explanations for it, and it's not just some mystical energy. He also does accupressure/puncture. And is on his way to be a martial arts master in the field of bag'ua (spelling?).

Very strange man.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I take it that you are studying to be a Registered Nurse? What year of study are you at currently? Are you male or female? May I warmly welcome you to the profession. It has been a great blessing to me.

6. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

i've taken Echinilin for colds and while i don't believe in it, and have read the countless journal articles that prove it to be ineffective, this echinacia extract really works for me.

Who cares if its just a placebo effect, it works and i'm sticking with it.

Who says that all cures have to be true cures? Sometimes the mind cures just fine on its own.

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i think yoga and pilates are good for your body they are great stretching excercises and strenghtening the core of your body - i dunno about their spiritual effects tho

8. Einlanzer macrumors newbie

Ah Alternatives

My wife is a Naturopathic Doctor - so by necessity of my marrage I have experienced yoga and pilates :rolleyes:. Personally I prefer yoga since it focuses more on relaxation and breathing - Were pilates is someones cruel joke of combining fast paced cardio with yoga (they don't go together).

Happy to wash away all your dis-beliefs...Anything else???? :D

9. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

My wife's qualified in many alternative therapies so I've been a guinea pig for reflexology, Indian head massage and Bach flower remedies amongst others. Of those the reflexology is very relaxing, the head massage less so and the flower remedies....hmmm.

It's a bit odd for me as I work in the conventional drug industry and have a sceptical approach to these things. I try not to discuss this with my wife... could be one of those awkward topics :rolleyes:

10. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

So no one knows about the effects of yoga? I just did a pose where you get on your arms, and you stand with your head up, then I feel down on the other side after a few min, but that was normal part of the pose. My friend said that was one of the hardest poses to do besides the back bend. Does anyone know what it means when you can do that pose? If you don't know exactly what I mean you can ask me. How much yoga a day should you do if you really like it? Is it good to do yoga with music you like?

11. Einlanzer macrumors newbie

Effects of Yoga

Well according to my wife they benifits of yoga are increased moblity (your joints have a greater range of motion), increased flexability (we're never able to touch your toes, now you can :) ), it is a strong de-stressor (i.e it burns a lot of cortozol - which is a neurotransmitter that is caused when you are under stress or being chased by a BEAR! :eek: and do not disipate by itself), improved control and greater cardiovascular strength (Yoga is 50% movement and 100% breathing), Less pain after strenious workout(your muscles are more resiliant to damage and rebound much faster).

Hope this helps - also by taking yoga it allows you to throw in details and info about your shakra and stuff like that - useful at parties :D

12. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

13. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Healthy living provides the best results of all, nicely summed up in the word prevention.

14. Einlanzer macrumors newbie

Yoga should be a part of you workout (not actually in it but an aspect on your total workout schedule), you should be exercising 3 times a weeks - with cardio (yoga, running, biking) in between - Once or twice a week but no more.

cheers

15. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

what does yoga do for you? I find it makes you more aware of other peoples feelings, it helps you deal with stress and emotion. What do you guys find it does?

16. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

IMPORTANT PEACOK FEATHER STRETCH

EDIT: does anyone know what it means when you can do the Peacock Feather Pose in yoga? I preformed that a few nights ago with a really good friend.