Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archre

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Are there alternative OSs (like some Linux OS) for the current iPod nano? Thx

archre

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Yeah too bad. I used to run Linux on my old 1st gen iPod nano, but iPod Linux isn't really maintained any longer.

I really hate how restricted you are with the Apple OS on the nano. I'd like to customize it (new icons, custom watch faces) and make more use of the hardware (play doom, calendar, etc).
All this was possible with Linux on the nano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KQNAuk_G-o

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah too bad. I used to run Linux on my old 1st gen iPod nano, but iPod Linux isn't really maintained any longer.

I really hate how restricted you are with the Apple OS on the nano. I'd like to customize it (new icons, custom watch faces) and make more use of the hardware (play doom, calendar, etc).

Well the iPod Nano is designed for one thing and one thing only: To play music.

archre

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Well the iPod Nano is designed for one thing and one thing only: To play music.

It might be designed to just play music, but as a matter of fact it is a small (and wearable) computer with Samsung ARM processor, 64MB RAM and a multi-touch display.
The processing power of this thing is considerably higher than my first Windows 95 PC with Pentium P54C 100MHz CPU.

So why would somebody not want use it for what it is capable to do?

Last edited:

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
It might be designed to just play music, but as a matter of fact it is a small (and wearable) computer with Samsung ARM processor, 64MB RAM and a multi-touch display.
The processing power of this thing is considerably higher than my first Windows 95 PC with Pentium P54C 100MHz CPU.

So why would somebody not want use it for what it is capable to do?

Because most people who buy it just want an MP3 player, not some little guru linux watch? Just a wild guess.

archre

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Because most people who buy it just want an MP3 player, not some little guru linux watch? Just a wild guess.

Apple wouldn't need to advertise it for that purpose, they'd just need to allow installing a custom bootloader. Think of Microsoft's Kinect for example -- many people only bought one to develop cool controllers/3d sensors/etc (a friend of mine developed a cool interactive graphics controller with it and I was close to buying one in order to develop some gesture MIDI controller). Same could have happened to the iPod.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Apple wouldn't need to advertise it for that purpose, they'd just need to allow installing a custom bootloader. Think of Microsoft's Kinect for example -- many people only bought one to develop cool controllers/3d sensors/etc (a friend of mine developed a cool interactive graphics controller with it and I was close to buying one in order to develop some gesture MIDI controller). Same could have happened to the iPod.

Except that Microsoft did advertise Kinect to be used by developers.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
^ Only after hackers tore it apart. Much like the App Store and iOS, if hackers hadn't got there first who knows where we'd be right now?

That looks entirely playable and enjoyable.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

You want to play Doom on the nano 6G? It would be impossible due to its size and it having no BT capabilities, my thumb would cover almost all the screen; calendar is a good idea if it had some kind of wifi or bt sync...

Also, apple is known for having a closed ecosystem.

miss.manson

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2011
Georgia
You want to play Doom on the nano 6G? It would be impossible due to its size and it having no BT capabilities, my thumb would cover almost all the screen; calendar is a good idea if it had some kind of wifi or bt sync...

Also, apple is known for having a closed ecosystem.

Apparently it isn't impossible. There are videos of Doom being played on the Nano all over Youtube, so no, it's not impossible. A little uncomfortable and awkward IMO, but not impossible.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Apparently it isn't impossible. There are videos of Doom being played on the Nano all over Youtube, so no, it's not impossible. A little uncomfortable and awkward IMO, but not impossible.

Read my post again on why it's not possible again since I'm not talking about hardware power but controlling it. A little? It would be hugely uncomfortable and awkward that would make it impossible to play properly

archre

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
I agree that doom would probably be not the best application to run on a small touchscreen device, but I only used it as an example for what could be possible on the nano.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
^ Only after hackers tore it apart. Much like the App Store and iOS, if hackers hadn't got there first who knows where we'd be right now?

That looks entirely playable and enjoyable.

Except that they said they wanted people to develop for it even before the hacks rolled in. Did they instantly just give an SDK? No, but that doesn't mean they didn't want people to explore with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.