Alternative text editor

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TheBrazilianGuy, Mar 15, 2007.

1. TheBrazilianGuy macrumors regular

Does anyone use Textmate or BBBedit ?

What do you think about them ?

(obs. it does not matter how much $ they cost)

2. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

I use text wrangler which is a free version of bbedit. It's great... I'd be willing to pay for it if it wasn't free. The syntax highlighting is helpful, working with multiple files at the same time is a breeze, and the find and replace seems useful.

3. TheBrazilianGuy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, Panoz.

Is Textwrangler based on Java ? I have been using jEdit but
    its lack of performance made us look for something else.

4. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

I honestly have no idea. Here's text wrangler's (and bbedit's) homepage: http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/

I've never had any performance issues. It always seems nice and snappy even with fairly long documents. It's free so give it a try. bbedit has some more advanced features (they are outlined on that webpage) but I didn't feel that they were necessary for what I do.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No.

6. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

I used BBEdit for a few years before I started to use textmate. Textmate is worlds better IMO. Watch some of the screencasts and you'll be sold.

7. neyoung macrumors member

I used Textmate for the 30 day trial and loved it. When my 30 days was up I switched to TextWrangler since it was free. But somehow my 30 days for TextMate got reset so I'm back to using it. I don't mind paying for Textmate since its so awesome, but I don't have the $ right now. Maybe when this second 30 day trial runs out I'll have a bit of spare cash.