Alternative to Adobe Acrobat

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ozone, Apr 11, 2006.

1. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

Does anybody know of a viable alternative to Adobe Acrobat for editing existing PDFs or creating PDF files from a scanner? (I'm particularly interested in the scanner functionality.) I'm not keen on paying big bucks for Acrobat only to use 20% of its functionality.

Thanks.

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Have you tried some of the PDF functionality already built into Tiger?

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Scanner functionality? MacOS X includes ImageGrabber. GraphicConverter is included with professional Macs. From these apps, you may print to PDF.

4. besler3035 macrumors 6502

You can also print to PDF from pretty much any application out there as well. This includes Microsoft Office, and with Adobe and iWork apps, I know you can export to a PDF too.

5. ozone thread starter macrumors 6502

ozone

Thanks for the replies. I already know about the PDF function built into OS X, as well as the screen shot capture.

What I need is software that will allow me to feed say, 20 pages, into my scanner and have them scanned automatically into PDF format. I can do this on my Windows machine via Adobe Acrobat and know that I can do it using Acrobat on my Mac, but I'm wondering if there is a cheaper alternative.

Thanks.

6. MacAri macrumors newbie

VueScan Professional lets you scan directly to pdf. You can also try some other programs like PDF Pen (now a UB) that allows you to add data to pdfs as well.

7. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I have an Epson R300 printer and scanner - when I scan it automatically scans to pdf (not character recogntion though - as images). The softwae for your scanner probably has the same.